Baby Showers

Food for my shower, Breakfast or Candy?

MIL is throwing me a shower, but she is really passive and wants me to help her with everything.  She doesn't like to make decisions on her own at all, which is fine because I love planning parties!  Anyway we are undecided about the food 'theme'  for the party.  I thought it might be fun to do a breakfast food theme.  I have been CRAVING eggs, bacon, toast, etc. throughout my pregnancy so I thought this might be cute.  Our ideas would be some mini shot glasses of syrup with little pieces of cinnamon french toast, mini 'muffins' with egg, bacon, mushroom perhaps.  The problem is the party is from 2-4pm. Our other idea is to do a candy theme.  Have rock candy, flavored popcorn, gumballs, cake, cupcakes, brownies, and pink pudding.  I like how this would look, but worry about not having enough real food to fill people up.  How hungry do people some to a shower? We would hate for people to leave hungry, but I feel like most of the ladies I know are always on a diet and stick to salad everywhere we go anyway...maybe we should have salads..

What do you think? Candy and sweets or breakfast food or other?

Re: Food for my shower, Breakfast or Candy?

• I would not serve only candy at a shower. 
  • Personally I would do the breakfast or brunch theme.  Maybe a few meat choices along with something fun like the french toast thing you mentioned or waffles.  I would then serve fruit and or pastries / muffins with it. 

If you decide on going with the candy theme, I would definitely have real food with it and maybe have a side table with some of your favorite candy cravings. 

• Loading the player...
  • Since your shower is 2-4 I would stay away from a breakfast theme.  For a shower at that time you do not need "real" food so the candy theme would be OK.  Unfortunately, if everyone you know is on a diet it would be kind of weird to have candy.  If everyone likes salads then that is probably the best plan.  It is easy to put together 2-3 salads and maybe some breadsticks.  You could still have candy...just use it as a favor and supply small bags for guests to take the candy home with them.
  • I frequently eat breakfast foods for lunch or dinner, so I see nothing wrong with serving breakfast foods in the afternoon. Breakfast is delicious anytime of day =) But if the guests are always on diets, I would supplement the syrup and breakfast meets with some fruit, yogurt, granola, and other healthier breakfast options.
  • I frequently eat breakfast foods for lunch or dinner, so I see nothing wrong with serving breakfast foods in the afternoon. Breakfast is delicious anytime of day =) But if the guests are always on diets, I would supplement the syrup and breakfast meats with some fruit, yogurt, granola, and other healthier breakfast options.
  • You can easily have a candy theme for your shower without having candy as the food for the shower. 
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • imageMelleTX:
    You can easily have a candy theme for your shower without having candy as the food for the shower. 

This. I had a "candy bar" at my baby shower & it served as the favors. You can always have the theme as candy & make your favors the candy "bar" but serve real food too. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the input! I think I am leaning towards the breakfast options.  I think yogurt, granola, and fruit would be easy for us to put together also!
  • If it's on a Sunday, just call it brunch and serve mimosas too!  I would be a very happy guest!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• A brunch theme sounds nice.  Croissants, eggs, fruit...  

All I can think of with a candy shower is a huge stomach ache.  I don't like candy as it is and I also know a lot of people that can't or won't eat candy.  I little candy section or a cake wouldn't be bad...with some veggies or sandwiches or something. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A brunch would be nice, can you back the time up a little bit. Thats what they did for my shower and it was so yummy.  I agree with what everyone else said about the candy. I would be ticked if I came to a shower and there was just candy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know if this is a regional thing, but people always go to showers, birthdays, etc very hungry.

I'd do a mix of what you are talking about.  Have a big salad bar or dish; make meatballs/sausages, finger sandwiches, then do a candy buffet with sweet, sour, chocolates. 

• Ive heard of people do a cravings shower.  You can have the invitations reflect that and serve all of the food you are craving (like your breakfast and lots of sweets) etc.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"