Multiples

how to tell them apart

i am pregnant with ID boys and would like to know how you guys could tell them apart in the hospital and until you were really able to tell who was who?? (i know you can always dress one in a certain color but i am looking for other suggestions also) the drs originally told us we were having girls and i was going to just paint one babies toe nails but i feel kinda bad doing that to a boy haha so any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Re: how to tell them apart

• As soon as we were out of the hosp, we left the ID bracelet on one of the girls to tell who was who. After about a week we could tell anyway, so when the bracelet needed to come off we were comfortable with being able to tell the differences.

You'll be suprised to learn that it will actually be very easy for you to tell (maybe not other people) but trust me, you'll see many differences even in ID babies.

Spontaneous ID Twin Girls - born 38w 2d Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I seem to be in the minority here but I can't tell my girls apart.  I got lots of suggestions to paint their toenails but honestly - their toes are super small.  I just put a mark on the bottom of Audrey's foot with a sharpie and would remark when it wore off.  She's developed a little hemangioma on her back so now we use that - but it requires undressing her if I get them mixed up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We left one of my boys' hospital bracelets on as long as we possibly could.  When it needed to come off, we painted the same baby's toenail (so we always knew for sure which baby had the "identifier").  I have two boys and it didn't bother me to paint his toenail even though he is a boy, it was the easiest thing to do in my opinion.  I actually even painted the toe nail pink because it was what I had. :)  Honestly, pink was much more subtle than painting it with a "boyish color" and he doesn't seem scarred for life by it so far. Wink

I could tell them apart for the most part but I just didn't want to take any chances so we painted the nail until we could tell them apart 100% of the time for awhile.  I just kept the nail polish on the changing table and re-painted it every so often.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagenatb22:

As soon as we were out of the hosp, we left the ID bracelet on one of the girls to tell who was who. After about a week we could tell anyway, so when the bracelet needed to come off we were comfortable with being able to tell the differences.

You'll be suprised to learn that it will actually be very easy for you to tell (maybe not other people) but trust me, you'll see many differences even in ID babies.

This, except my DD developed a hemangioma on her lip.  That made it easy to tell them apart.  After a week or so they were easy to tell apart for me,  I can usually even tell them apart from behind, just by the way they stand (they are 2 now) DH still gets them confused though. 

A baby octopus is about the size of a flea at birth. The loop on a belt that holds the loose end is called a 'keeper'.
  • I never needed to.  Of course I had 10 weeks to learn how to tell them apart before they came home.  They had about a pound difference in size, so it was pretty obvious.  The only time I have to do a double take is when they have hats on and I can't see their head shapes.  Miles also developed a birth mark on the back of his head.
  • You will likely surprise yourself at the differences tou see. Mine were very different weights, but also had different head shapes, different cries, different personalities, and one has several hemangiomas. I admit we do have trouble with some of kur older pics if we didn't label them right away, but my guess is that even if your kids are the same size you will find something different. That said, I can't tell other MoM's IDs apart. LOL! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Very easily. Jack was in one NICU warmer, the one with the crib card that said "Jack" and Ian was in another warmer labeled "Ian", lol! When Jack came home, he had a scab on his left hand that we used to sure we had the correct baby. When the scab fell off, it left a scar behind so we use it from time to time if we're unsure.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • thanks guys!! i am hoping to be able to tell them apart but it is soooo scary for me to even think about mixing them up that i want as many suggestions as possible lol
  • Our girls are frats, but they looked a lot alike when they were born. We kept the bracelets on for a week. Our girls have very similar facial features, but one has more hair, their cries are totally different, etc. I promise you'll be able to figure it out. :)
  • for us it was pretty easy one twin was a half to 3/4 lb smaller.  i rarely had problems telling the difference during the day, but at night that was a different story.  i always dressed one with blue accent and the other with green. my husband always wanted to write their first initial on their sole of the foot to help him out in the beginning. we never did.  we did slowly find small difference and that helps especially telling them apart from the back.  good luck and congratulations. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"