Maryland Babies
Options

baby registry..looking for words of wisdom from moms

Talk to me about registering for baby! I'm finding the process so daunting and feeling overwhelmed especially since family wants to start planning baby shower and I have yet to register.  

I'm slowly trying to get through my Baby Bargains book and we've at least narrowed down a crib and bought a stroller but feeling very.very.behind.

Where did you register?

What was your source for compiling registry list? (books/blogs please list good ones here)

How did you go about researching registry item?

What are your must have items that you would highly recommend?

Worthwhile splurges?

Any items that were a bust/waste of money?

Any do's or don'ts? or general words of wisdom?

Thanks ladies!

scrunched up face

Re: baby registry..looking for words of wisdom from moms

• Options
    Where did you register? We registered at BRU and Pottery Barn Kids. We did not do Target as I had previously heard they made it difficult to return things on registries. I also heard from my friend that she had a good experience from Kohls - but they just don't have as much of the "essentials" as BRU I don't think. I also heard good things about Buy Buy Baby - but I wanted to make sure that I had a local place I could return. Also, I heard Amazon Registries were good. 

What was your source for compiling registry list? (books/blogs please list good ones here) Some of things were obvious things that we knew we would need - others from recommendations from friends and family who have kids - this message board was also very helpful to me during that time - my MIL had also bought the book "Baby Lists" by Elaine Farber which I found helpful.

How did you go about researching registry item? I looked up the item on different websites (i.e. BRU, Amazon, etc) and read the different reviews and comments.

What are your must have items that you would highly recommend? Baby playmat (LO loved his), Velcro swaddles (we tried the miracle swaddle and just normal swaddles... at 2am, I just frustrated trying to wrap him that Velcro ones saved my life, haha), Zippered Pajamas/Zippered Sleep Sacks,

Worthwhile splurges?Two strollers - we have a Jeep All Terrain for walking around the neighborhood and certain events - and then we have a Mclaren umbrella stroller we keep in my car. We love both and both work perfect for different things. We have the new Graco 4-1 highchair and I'm in total love with it (was a registry gift too).

Any items that were a bust/waste of money? Bumbo and the Bumbo Tray - my LO just didn't like it or use it. Also, unfortunately my Baby Breeza - I was so excited about it, but they had to replace mine THREE times for different issues and the last one they sent doesn't steam, but they now haven't returned my calls or emails for a couple months.

Don'ts - Don't just think about the first few months - make sure you think about long term (i.e. convertible car seat) and include those on the registry especially at places where they give you a discount to buy any items that none bought.

Do - remember that babies grow very fast. Next baby we have, especially if it's a girl (since we have a boy), I will remember not do buy so many clothes as LO didn't wear have the stuff he has before he outgrew it. Do remember to include clothes 6-9 months+

These are just my opinions Big Smile Everyone on here has really good suggestions so I am sure you will get more that will help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Here's a post from a week or 2 about registries.

Also, here's my blog post about registry advice.

To answer your specific questions:

Where did you register? Babies R Us and Target

What was your source for compiling registry list? (books/blogs please list good ones here) I used Target's list, primarily, and I got advice from the boards.

How did you go about researching registry item?I got the book Baby Bargains which has great reviews on everything and I got advice from other moms here.

What are your must have items that you would highly recommend? Boppy, SwaddleMe velcro swaddlers, bouncy seat

Worthwhile splurges?

Any items that were a bust/waste of money? Everyone loves the aden & anais blankets and they're fine, but I hated them for swaddling and at $40 for 4 of them, I think that's too much.

Any do's or don'ts? or general words of wisdom? Everyone is going to give you different advice. What works for my family might not work for yours! Registering was a little overwhelming for me, but in the end we had everything we needed. Also, Great Beginnings is a great store in Gaithersburg that has a crapton of strollers, car seats, and other big items out on the floor for you to try out. We made the trek down there to test drive strollers and car seats and talk to some very knowledgeable sales people. We didn't actually buy anything there though.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSarahKate31:

Here's a post from a week or 2 about registries.

Also, here's my blog post about registry advice.

To answer your specific questions:

Where did you register? Babies R Us and Target

What was your source for compiling registry list? (books/blogs please list good ones here) I used Target's list, primarily, and I got advice from the boards.

How did you go about researching registry item?I got the book Baby Bargains which has great reviews on everything and I got advice from other moms here.

What are your must have items that you would highly recommend? Boppy, SwaddleMe velcro swaddlers, bouncy seat

Worthwhile splurges?

Any items that were a bust/waste of money? Everyone loves the aden & anais blankets and they're fine, but I hated them for swaddling and at $40 for 4 of them, I think that's too much.

Any do's or don'ts? or general words of wisdom? Everyone is going to give you different advice. What works for my family might not work for yours! Registering was a little overwhelming for me, but in the end we had everything we needed. Also, Great Beginnings is a great store in Gaithersburg that has a crapton of strollers, car seats, and other big items out on the floor for you to try out. We made the trek down there to test drive strollers and car seats and talk to some very knowledgeable sales people. We didn't actually buy anything there though.

Ohhhh that's one I forgot to include - Bouncy Seat!!! Total must!! We still use ours occasionally at 8 months, although his legs stick straight out haha. We ended up getting one for the downstairs and one for the upstairs. Also, totally agree that what works for our family may not work with yours. My nieces/nephews LOVED their bumbo, but mine didn't. 

• Options
    imagesalc21:

Any items that were a bust/waste of money? Bumbo and the Bumbo Tray - my LO just didn't like it or use it.

Ditto this. We got the Bumbo but not the tray. I put DS in it for his monthly pictures since he still isn't sitting up on his own, but in general, he doesn't like sitting in it.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    Where did you register? BRU and Target 

What was your source for compiling registry list? (books/blogs please list good ones here) I used Baby Bargains and lurked on the bump baby gear board.  I also didn't really have a written out list.  I took the book and DH to BRU and went through the store and registered.

How did you go about researching registry item? I'm somewhat of a slacker.  I didn't do any formal research.  I just asked friends but I have to say that everyone and every child is different.  There were things that friends told me I had to get that DS hates.

FP Snugabunny (I think that's the name) swing.  I love that it plugs in and I don't have to worry about batteries.

Snap N Go stroller.  I bought the Chicco Cortina travel system but I regularly use the snap n go with the carseat

Graco Pack n Play.  I have the one with the newborn napper and the changing table thing.  I don't think you really need the changing table but I used the newborn napper all the time.  I think I have used the PNP everyday since we brought DS home 6 months ago.  

Boppy. If you plan to breastfeed this is a great purchase.  I love mine although I know a lot of people also highly recommend My Breastfriend.

Worthwhile splurges? I got a travel swing as well and it really came in handy when we went to the beach.

Any items that were a bust/waste of money?

Any do's or don'ts? or general words of wisdom? Take everyone's advice and do's and don'ts with a grain of salt.  Every baby is different and everyone you ask with have different advice.  On a side note, whatever you do do not listen to any horror birth stories.  Everyone will want to tell you their experience with child birth but no two experiences are the same.  Figure out what works for you and go with it.

• Options

imagenynews:

Ditto pp - what your friend's baby likes, yours may not. Hold off on expensive things that your child might not like, or get them used. (We got a Bumboo from a friend, which is great because DD hated it). 

Focus on things you will need NOW and big-ticket items because of the discount from registries. Things you need NOW, i.e. receiving/swaddling blankets, Halo sleep sacks that swaddle were awesome, Nipple cream and a Brestfriend if you plan to bf. (I had a Boppy and HATED it).

Our DD preferred to be carried, so a swing and a travel system would have been a waste. (I borrowed one when we went on vacation). However, I would have died without my Moby wrap.

People WILL buy you clothes, so you don't really need to register for those.

Talk to me about registering for baby! I'm finding the process so daunting and feeling overwhelmed especially since family wants to start planning baby shower and I have yet to register.  

I'm slowly trying to get through my Baby Bargains book and we've at least narrowed down a crib and bought a stroller but feeling very.very.behind.

Where did you register?BRU, Target (because it was the only store that was both here and near my mom's house), Amazon

What was your source for compiling registry list? (books/blogs please list good ones here)Baby Bargains, posts from the nest

How did you go about researching registry item?Amazon reviews, baby bargains, the nest

What are your must have items that you would highly recommend? wrap or carrier system, brestfriend & nipple cream, if  bfing, vibrating bassinet, seat or  swing - we got our bassinet from a friend. The seat was great, but only worked for us for about 4 weeks.

Worthwhile splurges? For us, the Ergo carrier, our Arm's Reach full-size co-sleeper (it converts to a playpen), Brestfriend ( I got mine used but would have bought new).

Any items that were a bust/waste of money? Bumboo, walker/activity center (IL's got it for DD because they wanted to do so), boppy. Separate changing table - it's good to store diapers, but LO would roll right off of it if we used it now.

Any do's or don'ts? or general words of wisdom?

Many babies like to be carried nearly 24/7 when they are first born. It won't spoil them, but it takes some getting used to. Good luck!

Thanks ladies!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    thanks ladies this is good stuff-I really appreciate it. I'm posting and running because it's impossible to get on here during work--darn job!
    scrunched up face
  • Options

Where did you register? Babies R Us 

What was your source for compiling registry list? (books/blogs please list good ones here)advice from the boards (and lurking on "Nurseries and Baby Gear" board), Baby Bargains book, advice from friends, lucieslist.com (might not be exactly right, maybe google lucies list)

How did you go about researching registry item? see above

What are your must have items that you would highly recommend?boppy, halo swaddlers, woombie swaddlers, angelcare monitor, swing, bouncy chair, fp playmat, ergo and/or moby wrap, white noise machine, soothie pacifiers (wubbanub)

Worthwhile splurges? see above

Any items that were a bust/waste of money? aden & anais blankets weren't all they were hyped up to be for us, but they were gifts...co-sleeper basinet, she hated, but i loved it when she did sleep in it. "my breast friend" pillow.

Any do's or don'ts? or general words of wisdom? what works for us may not for you :)

• Options
    Where did you register?  Babies R Us, Target & Great Beginnings 

What was your source for compiling registry list? (books/blogs please list good ones here) Mainly friends, family and posters

-Snap-N-Go Stroller

-Bouncy Seat (we eventually bought two...one for the bathroom and one for downstairs)

-Swaddle Me with Velcro

-Boppy Pillow

-Baby Swing

-Pack-N-Play-with bassinet and changing table

-activity mat

-both Moby Wrap & Baby Bjorn (make sure you get the BB with lumbar support)

Worthwhile splurges? All of the above and if you plan on going back to work and BF, definitely Medela Pump In Style Breast Pump.

Any items that were a bust/waste of money? Germ Guardian

Any do's or don'ts? or general words of wisdom? Go with your gut.  Nobody knows your baby better than you!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

take a friend who has recently had a baby, whose parenting style you trust and agree with, with you to register, so she can take you through the whole store and help you choose which items you do and don't need, tell you the good and bad brands, how many of everything you need, etc.

And you might not settle on everything by the end of the first trip to the store, esp the larger things like the stroller, car seat, etc. Those things take more research and can be added later.

• Options

Sign up for Lucie's List.  That site is seriously amazing.  She has lots of good recs and reviews of products she uses/likes.

Where did you register? Target, BRU, Amazon

What was your source for compiling registry list? (books/blogs please list good ones here) Lucie's List (seriously obsessed with this site!!) and the bump

How did you go about researching registry item? Lurked on the bump, talked to mom friends, read reviews on Amazon

What are your must have items that you would highly recommend? SwaddleMe blankets, a good breast pump/pumping bra, pack n play, boppy, sleep sheep, Fisher Price Seahorse

Worthwhile splurges?  City Mini, my pump, Ergo.

Not a registry item, but I'd invest in a nice glider - preferably one that reclines.

Any items that were a bust/waste of money? For us it's been the swing.  She's only been in it 2 or 3 times and doesn't really like it.

Any do's or don'ts? or general words of wisdom? DON'T buy a bedding set.  It's a complete waste of money.  I really wish I would have listened to all those posts that said not to splurge on it.

Register for everything under the sun.  You'll figure out what does and does not work for you and what you'll need.  Whatever you don't end up needing you can always return for store credit.  

And like the other ladies said, what worked for their kiddo, might not work for your baby.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options

think about what you will be doing after the baby arrives - if you are planning on SAH for the first year or something, your needs may be different than if you will only take off a ML and then returning to work. 

Remember that this whole "registry" thing is sort of a racket and most of this stuff you don't really need and could easily function w/o it.  You'll need to store these things after you use them or get rid of them - give away, consign, etc.  For example - we used our activity mat, but for only for ~1-2 months.  I get toys now for DD and while I appreciate them, DD is really only home and awake about 3 hours a day during the week and on weekends, we are mostly out and about running errands/exploring/playing - so I appreciate them, but I know a SAH mother would get a lot more use out of them than me. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"