VBAC
Options

Sharing Birth Story; Feedback please :) TIA

In May 2010, I gave birth to my daughter via c-section. I was induced with Pit only, water broke on its own at the hospital & I was already 3-4cm & 85% effaced when I arrived for induction. The reason for induction was "big baby" they thought she was 9+ lbs. I dialated to 10 and pushed for 3 hours. After all of this, my OB thought she would be unable to be born vaginally and I was taken in for c-section. I did not want this and was ready to push another hour if needed. I was heart broken. I am hoping for a successful VBAC this time as I do NOT want a repeat c-section. I do have a very supportive OB. I would just love to hear success stories that are similar to my situation. Also, my daughter only ended up being 7lbs 15oz. I don't believe a c-section was necessary :( Thank you for your thoughts!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sharing Birth Story; Feedback please :) TIA

• Options
    There's not really enough information here to say if it was necessary or not, but three hours is a long time to push without progress, and I don't see anything obviously unreasonable in your story. FWIW, my c/s baby was 7 lb 8 oz and was unable to be born vaginally due to her position. My VBAC baby was 7 lb 9 oz. Size alone doesn't tell you enough.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My first baby was breech so that was the reason for my c/s. Then I successfully VBAC'd a 9lbs 5 oz baby afterwards
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

3 hours is a very long time to push!  And I think that for many dr.'s or midwives that is the longest they will allow before changing courses and doing a c/s.  Even with a smaller baby you may still have been too small for her to fit out. 

• Options
    @jessa: I pushed 4+ hours with my first son, and then had a c-section. He was 8lbs, 4oz. My VBAC baby was 10 lbs 10 oz.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

I also had a 7-pounder and a c-section after three hours of pushing. No one has suggested that he was "too big"- positioning means much more than size. My son was OP with brow presentation, and they couldn't get him repositioned. I am attempting a VBAC this time around.

My friend had a 10 pound baby with her first. Never progressed past 7 cms dilated- baby would not drop. I think some suggested that her baby was "too big" to drop, but her second baby was 11 pounds and delivered naturally after four hours of labour and 15 minutes of pushing. Baby #2 was simply in a better position, she feels (and she's an L+D nurse).

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I pushed for around 2 hours with my first and never got past 0 station.  She was OP position (sunny side-up), and that's why she wasn't descending.  My OB at the time told me my pelvis was too small for her to fit through and that I would need c/s for future babies.

My second baby was properly positioned and I had a fast and uncomplicated VBAC.  He was 2 ounces larger than my first, so size obviously wasn't an issue.

Do you know if your baby was in a funky position like OP, asynclitic, etc.?  That can make a huge difference.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Obviously I dont know the situation, but I would guess position had more to do with it than size.  I would recommend seeing a chiropractor who is certified in the Webster technique to help with the baby's position.
    Michelle BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagenosoup4u:
    @jessa: I pushed 4+ hours with my first son, and then had a c-section. He was 8lbs, 4oz. My VBAC baby was 10 lbs 10 oz.

Love this!! This is inspiration!

• Options

imagebugabean:
    There's not really enough information here to say if it was necessary or not, but three hours is a long time to push without progress, and I don't see anything obviously unreasonable in your story. FWIW, my c/s baby was 7 lb 8 oz and was unable to be born vaginally due to her position. My VBAC baby was 7 lb 9 oz. Size alone doesn't tell you enough.

Oh I made plenty of progress, she was right there! He was just afraid to go further because of the shoulder dystocia, but he didn't know for sure that it would be a problem, he just didn't want to risk it. Which I totally understand. I also had a very happy baby in there, no distress & no irregular heartbeat.  

• Options
    imageiris427:

I pushed for around 2 hours with my first and never got past 0 station.  She was OP position (sunny side-up), and that's why she wasn't descending.  My OB at the time told me my pelvis was too small for her to fit through and that I would need c/s for future babies.

My second baby was properly positioned and I had a fast and uncomplicated VBAC.  He was 2 ounces larger than my first, so size obviously wasn't an issue.

Do you know if your baby was in a funky position like OP, asynclitic, etc.?  That can make a huge difference.  

In early labor she was sunny side up, but we got her to turn over (painful!) and she stayed that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"