Maryland Babies

Where to deliver

I was wondering if everyone could give me their opinions on which hospital is the nicest to deliver at in Maryland?  I've seen on the third trimester board that some hospitals have double beds, give free brest pumps, ect....  Just curious, thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Where to deliver

• What area are you in?

• Also, where does your OB have privledges?

I didn't get much of a choice, becuase the dr I went with only delivers at GBMC.  That is actually the hospital closest to me anyway.  (Well there or St. Joe's since they are basically across the street from one another.)

I haven't heard of any hospitals around here having double beds.  I think that the birthing center at Special Beginings might.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I live in Gambrills, but work in Rockville, am currently seeing a doctor in Pasadena who has privliges at Harbor Hospital in Baltimore.  It's so up in the air though, depending on when/where I go into labor.  I'm not even sure if my doctor will be the one who ends up being there for the delviery, but, from what I hear it doesn't much matter since you only see the doctor for a few minutes and spend most of your time with the nurses.
  • I had a csection, and it was a horrible experience (mine, not all csections)  and I could not imagine giving birth to the child I am now pregnant with with a dr. I didn't even know.  Just saying.

And don't you have to preregister with a hospital?

• My OB office delivers at St Agnes so that's where I went. No double beds. I got a free manual breast pump, and I guess I could have taken home the parts for the hospital grade electric pump they gave me, but I had a different brand at home so I left them there. I also got a free tube of Lansinoh lanolin and some nipple shields.

I have nothing to compare it with and was in the new baby daze so overall my experience was ok. DH says he had to remind the nurses to give me my pain meds and stuff (when I called for them it would take them a while to get to me, so he tried to anticipate my need and ask ahead of time). I ended up having a c-section and had a very easy recovery from it. Oh and they werent really consistent with taking my DD to the nursery. Sometimes they'd say they were just taking her for a few mins for a check, and it would be an hour or two before she came back. Once or twice I asked that they take her for an hour or two after I nursed her so I could sleep, and they'd bring her back 30 mins later. Ehh. I know what I'll do differently next time around and I'll know more what to expect, but most likely we won't be in MD by then anyways.

• We just had a tour at GBMC (Towson, MD) and the rooms are really lovely and homey feeling with nice lighting, clean updated bathrooms, etc. Provided you don't have complications that would interfere, you labor and give birth in the same room and the baby can stay with you if you choose - again, provided little one doesn't have complications of their own.  They have comfortable couches in the rooms and fold-outs for your husband/so to stay over and while the beds weren't doubles they were generously sized IMO.  I work at a big hospital downtown and our rooms here look very hospital-ish.  Grey and small with harsh overhead lighting. Still a great hospital, but when I was thinking about where I'd want to be for quite possibly a looooong period of time, ambiance and comfort were a shameless factor.

I also very much like that GBMC does not have the "benefit" of residents.  All due respect to doctors in training but working at a teaching hospital myself I have heard horror stories upon horror stories.  The OB on call at GBMC actually sleeps at the hospital during their shift, they have their own OB entrance and registration with free valet parking.  I just feel like it's very focused and professional.. and let's face it, very very nice.   

• I had my second son at the Howard County General Hospital and liked my birthing experience. They also have a nursery so you can get some sleep at night while still in the hospital .. it is immensely helpful because it helps you rest before you go home and won't get much sleep
  • imagebabyskins:

We just had a tour at GBMC (Towson, MD) and the rooms are really lovely and homey feeling with nice lighting, clean updated bathrooms, etc. Provided you don't have complications that would interfere, you labor and give birth in the same room and the baby can stay with you if you choose - again, provided little one doesn't have complications of their own.  They have comfortable couches in the rooms and fold-outs for your husband/so to stay over and while the beds weren't doubles they were generously sized IMO.  I work at a big hospital downtown and our rooms here look very hospital-ish.  Grey and small with harsh overhead lighting. Still a great hospital, but when I was thinking about where I'd want to be for quite possibly a looooong period of time, ambiance and comfort were a shameless factor.

I also very much like that GBMC does not have the "benefit" of residents.  All due respect to doctors in training but working at a teaching hospital myself I have heard horror stories upon horror stories.  The OB on call at GBMC actually sleeps at the hospital during their shift, they have their own OB entrance and registration with free valet parking.  I just feel like it's very focused and professional.. and let's face it, very very nice.   

I had my youngest at GBMC and cannot say enough great things about our experience there.  I would highly recommend it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I too had my LO at GBMC. I had a marvelous experience there. I was in one of the high risk delivery rooms so my room was HUGE. The nurses were sweet as can be, one even gave me a sponge bath when she heard me complaining how gross I felt since I was confined to my bed due to pPROM. The recovery rooms are also nice though small. More than DH and myself and it was tight but the storage bins under the couch did help.I liked that they have their own entrance, DH was able to pull right up and I didn't have to walk more than 20 feet to the registration desk. The only complaint I have is that they don't have TVs in the waiting area for family so a laptop or reading material for them if they plan on waiting out your L&D for the long haul!

We also had a great experience with the NICU. 

• I've had 2 great deliveries at AAMC. Same OB for both pregnancies, but she was out of town when I delivered my first. she did deliver my second. In retrospect it wasnt a huge deal when my dr was not there for the actual delivery since i spent the majority of the lay with the L&D nurse.

the hospital is great and I loved all the nurses. No double beds but still pretty nice rooms and amenities. And they have a great NICU if you need it. I highly recommend it there.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would pick a hospital closer to home and maybe post on the DC board since you'll have some more women in the Rockville/MoCo area that way.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • I would start by picking a doctor that you're comfortable with that has hospital privileges at a hospital close to your home.  Then take a tour of that hospital to make sure you're comfortable there. 

lovelylittleworld
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • imagesalesgirlsue:
    I live in Gambrills, but work in Rockville, am currently seeing a doctor in Pasadena who has privliges at Harbor Hospital in Baltimore.  It's so up in the air though, depending on when/where I go into labor.  I'm not even sure if my doctor will be the one who ends up being there for the delviery, but, from what I hear it doesn't much matter since you only see the doctor for a few minutes and spend most of your time with the nurses.

My friend in bowie delivered at Anne Arundel both times (c-sections) and had great luck there.  Nice rooms etc.  I live near Rockville and had the option of delivering at Holy Cross or Shady Grove.  My practice, the person who goes into labor first that day chooses the hospital and everyone else goes there, in my case the doc was already at Holy Cross when I went into labor.  I labored for 18 hours and ended up with a c-section.  I thought the nurses and care were top notch.  I would deliver there again.

• I would probably look for a provider who is closer to your home and has privileges at a hospital closer to your home. I wouldn't worry about where you work. I have a friend who lives in Greenbelt & delivered @ AAMC and know that there are some bumpies who live in Baltimore who have come down to AAMC to deliver for various reasons. 

I had DD at AAMC w/ a large OB/GYN group. I had previously seen both the doc who induced me, and the doc who delivered her, though like you said he didn't spend that much time w/ me until we were really at the end.  

I switched to Bay Area Midwifery for DS. They have 2 birthing suites with double beds and jetted tubs, etc. in their offices/birthing center which is in the Wayson Pavilion @ AAMC (so if you need to be transferred you can be in an OR v. quickly) and they also have privileges @ AAMC. I had DS there and it was a great experience- BUT I was home about 4 hours after having him, and it was an intervention-free birth, which isn't what everyone wants. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagecourtneyLMM:
    imagebabyskins:

We just had a tour at GBMC (Towson, MD) and the rooms are really lovely and homey feeling with nice lighting, clean updated bathrooms, etc. Provided you don't have complications that would interfere, you labor and give birth in the same room and the baby can stay with you if you choose - again, provided little one doesn't have complications of their own.  They have comfortable couches in the rooms and fold-outs for your husband/so to stay over and while the beds weren't doubles they were generously sized IMO.  I work at a big hospital downtown and our rooms here look very hospital-ish.  Grey and small with harsh overhead lighting. Still a great hospital, but when I was thinking about where I'd want to be for quite possibly a looooong period of time, ambiance and comfort were a shameless factor.

I had my youngest at GBMC and cannot say enough great things about our experience there.  I would highly recommend it. 

This makes me feel so good! I am a FTM, and my OB has privileges at GBMC, so that's where I'll be delivering.  We have not signed up for the hospital tour yet, but I plan to soon.

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • awesome, thanks for all the info!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"