Blended Families

iPad vs. Kindle (posted from another board)

I posted this on the SAHM board too, but I know some of you ladies use one or the other. 

I'm really looking for something to read my books on. But, also something that DS could easily use for long trips. I've heard rave things about the Kindle, but also the iPad too. I LOVE my iPhone.

Give me all your pros/cons for them if you have one, have had one, etc. TIA! 

Re: iPad vs. Kindle (posted from another board)

• imagebunnyfungo:
    I don't have a kindle but I have a nook color and an iPad. I will say that I definitely use my iPad more. For me, and my bad eyesight, it just works out to have a larger screen. And I'm used to kids books being giant sized anyway, at least to accommodate large pictures. I'm not sure if that alone should justify paying twice as much. I will say that the kids also love playing games on the iPad. But I think you can do that on the kindle and nook also, I just never bothered downloading any bc my iPad already had all the games they loved from my iPhone automatically synced.  There's pros and cons for either so I guess I'm not being much help lol.

LOL. It's okay, those are all thoughts that have been going through my head today. I guess it's going to come down to the price ;)  

• I have both.  I LOVE my original Kimdle for the paper like quality when I read.  Backlit computer like tablets SUCK in the sunlight and I read when I am outside...a lot.  

I NEVER read books off my IPAD, even though I have the kindle app.  

But I DO let Moneky use my IPAD. She has games and movies etc.  She uses the iPad when we travel, so another reason for the kindle and why I got her a Leapster 2.   

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the iPad, although I haven't downloaded any books yet, and we got my SD the Nook Color and I played around with that a little.  The Nook has a smaller screen, and navigating from the home page to the apps/books..etc. seems to have more steps.  It is a lot cheaper in price though.

• We don't have iPads, but do have two 3rd gen Kindles and two Kindle Fires.

A tablet PC and an e-reader are totally different. I know several people who bought Fires thinking they would replace they're old Kindles--and they don't.  

DH and I have had our Kindles for about a year. We read all the time. We love them. We like them more than we like our children. Just kidding...

We bought a Kindle Fire a couple weeks ago, mostly because we thought it would be an easy device for the kids to use. If you have Amazon Prime, you get a lot of free videos (and lots of kids stuff). There are a lot of apps for kids to use. My DD (2 next month) has all but taken possession of it.

My parents bought DS a Kindle Fire for Christmas so he wouldn't have to fight with DD over the one we already had.

The kids really like the Fires. DH and I like the Fire. Right now, we use it a lot for web browsing and crossword games. But when we travel, we plan to use it for movies.

Oh, and we ended up choosing the Fire over the iPad because we knew the kids would play with it. And I can handle them breaking a $200 gadget better than a $700 one.  

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"