Special Needs
Options

How can I get DS to stop climbing?

DS has started to climb on EVERYTHING. I can't get him to stop. He climbs on the tables, chairs, sofas, a bench in our bedroom, etc. It's become a big problem because he won't stop climbing and falls often. I always try to be there to make sure he doesn't fall, but it just isn't always possible. I've tried to redirect him to something else that may help him get the sensory he's seeking, but so far, nothing is working. He starts OT next week, but any ideas I can get now would be greatly appreciated!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How can I get DS to stop climbing?

• Options
    In addition to being sensory seeking, I think part of it is just the age too. We had to do some creative arranging of our furniture to stop dangerous climbing and we had one of those big circular gates that we would break into pieces to block off things like window ledges or the tv stand that he wanted to climb on. We also had the school bus slide/climber in our living room for awhile that ds could climb on to keep him off other stuff. For my ds, the climbing didn't really become less until his engagement improved and he really started to learn to play with toys appropriately. I think sometimes my ds climbed just because he didn't know what else to do. We've been having some troubles with climbing again now that my ds is getting more into pretend play, it's like he just doesn't know how to process things sometimes so he climbs because it's one of his comfort zones.
  • Options

imagehoundbaby:
    In addition to being sensory seeking, I think part of it is just the age too. We had to do some creative arranging of our furniture to stop dangerous climbing and we had one of those big circular gates that we would break into pieces to block off things like window ledges or the tv stand that he wanted to climb on. We also had the school bus slide/climber in our living room for awhile that ds could climb on to keep him off other stuff. For my ds, the climbing didn't really become less until his engagement improved and he really started to learn to play with toys appropriately. I think sometimes my ds climbed just because he didn't know what else to do. We've been having some troubles with climbing again now that my ds is getting more into pretend play, it's like he just doesn't know how to process things sometimes so he climbs because it's one of his comfort zones.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that, but that seems true for DS as well. He doesn't really have much play skills and he doesn't engage very well yet. When did you notice a change in your DS? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We started floortime in June, at that point pretty much all we did with him was physical stuff to get him to engage (tickling, flips, spinning, and then waiting for a response from him to signal he wanted more). That was basically the beginning of his play skills, I want to say it  was about 2 months of that before he really was engaged a lot of the time and coming to us and being the one to initiate play. That's when the wandering and climbing started to stop. Now 6 months later, he'll stay engaged and won't get up from an activity with me to go climb on top of his kitchen or I can leave him for a few minutes and he'll sit and play with a toy. He still climbs, but now we can tell him no or to get down and he listens, which 6 months ago he barely acknowledged his name. It does get better :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"