C-sections
Options

? About scheduling a RCS

Is there a reason why you schedule a RCS and not just wait until your water breaks or labor starts?  Why do a lot of people schedule at 39w?  I ask because I would rather just get my RCS when baby is ready if no issues. Please let me know. Thanks so much. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ? About scheduling a RCS

• Options
    I don't think there is a good answer for this. I asked my OB and they basically said just because you are choosing not to have a VBAC. So I scheduled a c-section for the day before my due date. I am starting to wonder if I should have scheduled it later but I was trying to get *my* doctor out of a 5 doctor practice. But I really wanted to let him simmer for as long as possible but at the same time I didn't really want to VBAC if he had an opportunity to become larger as my deliveries are relatively close together. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My OB doesn't want you to go into natural labor if you ar having a RCS.  I don't know why really but they really really try to avoid it.  They wanted to schedule me in week 38 but I was not about to get an amnio to do it so we are scheduled for the beginning of week 39.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yea I wanted to add that its probably because if you go into labor it makes the c-section more likely to become an urgent issue. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am scheduled for mine at 39 weeks. My doctor said that they didn't want me to go into active labor due to they didn't want to have to do an emergency c-section. This is my second one and they don't know how fast I would labor so they want to be safe than sorry. I have already been to the hospital with contractions and they have had to stop them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    The reason for my c-section with DD was her size.  We were in the process of scheduling the c-section at 39 weeks when my water broke, and she came a few days before she was "supposed" to arrive.  Since she weighed in at 8 lbs, 12 oz with no lung issues, it appears she was ready to come out.  If this baby is on the same growth track later in my pregnancy, we'll schedule for 39 weeks.
  • Options
    If my water broke and I went into labor, my uterus could rupture because of my first emergency c/s at 28w. I have a classical incision which makes me not a candidate for a VBAC so to try to avoid me going into labor, my recent and future c/s will be at 38w.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

Because its so much better to go in calmly when the hospital can prepare for you and your lo's arrival. 

• Options
    I think some of it is also because hospitals and each OB practice only has so many OR spots. They need some flexibility in case of emergencies. My planned c/s got pushed back because of an emergency. I waan't in labor so it was no big deal, but I could imagine having to wait while in labor for an open spot could mean times when a woman is waiting hours and/or throwing off the whole schedule. At the end of the day your OB and the rest of the staff just wants regular work hours like everyone else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My Drs schedule c/s starting at 39 weeks but you have the choice of when you want to have it.

I had a c/s with DS because he was 9 days late, huge, and got stuck in my pelvis and was in distress.  This was after I labored at home all day monday and then in the hospital all day tuesday. 

THis time around I want to try for a VBAC but agreed I don't want to be late again and risk the same thing happening.  I am scheduled for RCS at 39.5 weeks but if I go into labor naturally prior to that we are going to try for VBAC.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My OB and I both agreed I should have a RCS rather than try for a VBAC right when I got pregnant. My kids were fairly close together in age so if I attempted to VBAC it could have been too stressful on the uterus. Also my babies were both really big - after my first was "stuck" and couldn't get past my pelvis bones. I made zero progress even after 20+ hours of labor so I wouldn't have been able to have a vaginal delivery anyways.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would guess b/c if you go into labor and have a C/S planned there is a chance you won't make it to the hospital in time?  Or you'll progress too quickly, etc.
  • Options
    imagejnealet:

Because its so much better to go in calmly when the hospital can prepare for you and your lo's arrival. 

This! My OB practice does them at 39wks so that you don't have to have an emergency c/s if you go into labor. If you go into labor naturally there is no way to tell how long labor will be and how long you have to get to the OR. My hospital and OB's office will not do them before 39wks through.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"