Pregnant after 35

rami hadi makki, 8lbs, 14oz, 20in. 12/20, 5:56pm ...way LONG

saturday night, lost mucus plug

monday (my due date) at around noon, i started feeling real contractions.
they were very short, and they were coming quickly ... but not very intense.
told hadi he didn't have to rush home, but not to stop at a bar on his way.
a few hours passed, started seeing (what i thought) was blood.
we asked the nanny to come back at ~11pm and be ready to stay the night.
checked in with the doc, they told me to hold tight, called the doula, she said the same.

contractions started getting a little more painful.  jad (my almost 4 year old) would hug me thru them, call me wonder woman and tell me that everything would be all right.  he really is the sweetest creature in the land.

about 10:30pm i have a contraction that makes me feel like i have to pee, so i run to the bathroom ... wasn't a huge gush, but substantial and brownish.  even tho i'm gbs-, i call the doc because of the color, thinking it might be blood ... they tell me my water broke and the brown was meconium and that i should head to the hospital so that they can monitor the baby (meconium aspiration could be bad). so doula arrives, nanny arrives, we leave for hospital.  i am spewing amniotic fluid with baby poop and find a very thick waterproof lap pad and fold it in fours and put it in the undies.

get to hospital l&d where i was triaged almost 4cm.  i feel like i could deal with the pain of the contractions for a bit longer, but really don't want to, so i get the epidural.  this was the point where DH faints.  he was great for me, held steady and strong, but when it was over he turned gray, his eyes rolled back and he 'fell' into his chair.  i lose it ... i knew he was the squeemish type, but he is my rock, and i got hysterical that he fainted.  he was fine in a second, but still not pleasant.

get into a room where i basically labored most of the night without incident.  we all tried to rest and prep for the big show.

first thing tue. am, i get an exam ... almost 6cm.  i thought it would have been more, but it was ok. 

oh, despite being told NOT to come, like no mincing words, my mother shows up.  when she comes into the room i basically ignore her, i didn't really talk to anyone (was sort of laboring in my own world) and didn't want her to bring down my groove.  but still, can you imagine???  this is why my kids will never spent the weekend with her, she ignores my wishes to my face, what on earth would she do with my kids??

anyway, at about noon, get another check 10cm!  we are all excited.  decided to turn the epi down a bit so that i can feel the pushing urge better and be more effective.  try pushing a few times, not too useful, we turn the epi off.  oh, guess who is now sunnyside up???  meaning severe back labor.  i push a few times, do a good job, but am in so much pain i cry and see stars.  i ask for the epi to go back up to 50% but we think they went full blast because i really wasn't able to make anything happen.  at this point it's been about 3.5 hours of pushing ... doc says that the baby's forehead was up against the pelvic bone and not coming down, he is also not flipping and i'm not pushing effectively.  she said his head was getting swollen, and let's not forget all the meconium.  dh asked the doc for half hour more, and was there anything else we could try ... so i got on my elbows and knees ... a$$ high up to the sky.  we push a few more times, doc says she can see a full head of hair, but that he isn't going to come.

i lose it, completely and totally lose it.  grab onto dh hysterical.  i can't believe that after everything i did, after going before 41 weeks, after getting all the way to pushing, that i was going to have to end it there.  was exhausted, totally hormonal and sobbing uncontrollably.   doc said she would let me keep pushing, but at that point it wasn't getting us anywhere.  i agree to the c/s.

meanwhile ... i find doula to be incredibly irritating throughout most of the proceedings.  physically, she is good, with pressure points and massage and other stuff, but i just want her to stfu!  at one point, she gets it and walks away, but comes back.

c/s itself is awful ... took much longer than the first one (scar tissue, etc.) plus i was so physically and emotionally exhausted.  the additional drug really made me shake and shiver and cry.

when the baby came out there was mass outcry of how big and feisty he was.  the pediatricians got him right away to make sure he didn't breath in any of the meconium.  recovery was pretty awful as well, my heart rate was too high and they kept having me breath deeply, which of course worried me and made my heart race faster.   also since he was higher than average birth weight, they have been doing blood sugar tests every few hours.  poor things feet are pin cushions.

speaking of being a pin cushion, i have had 3 different iv's and they keep coming out!  so they had to remove the epidural early, so i have had more pain this time around.

dh brought my son by yesterday morning ... he was so sweet.  wanted to touch the baby's little fingers, and see him.  was excited by how tiny he was, but got a little freaked when he cried.  was really happy to see me, i got a lot of unsolicited 'i love yous' ...

last night i got a call from the doc who attended the delivery and did the c/s.  she wanted to talk while i wasn't so emotional and tired and tell me that there was no way the baby was coming out the hoo haa ... she said his size and position even made him hard to get out via c/s, she also regrets letting me push as long as i did.  i thanked her profusely for the call ... it meant a lot to me because in my state of i was hearing 'he isn't coming out because you can't push him out' ... when that isn't what she was saying. 

anyway, it's over now, and really is over.  there will be no more babies, no other chances.  when things really are out of my hands, they are out ... and i'm letting this one go.

baby is nursing like a champ.  he looks exactly like a stockier, feistier version of my son.  same mouth, chin, nose ... he also has eyebrows, pretty unusual for a newborn.  his nose is a little smooshed, but that will go away soon.  when i get a chance i'll share some of pics. 

in a nutshell ... i really am over the moon, and can't wait to spend more time getting to know this boy.  thank you all for being there for me, during the 1.5 years it took to conceive, and this 9 month journey i love you all ...

Re: rami hadi makki, 8lbs, 14oz, 20in. 12/20, 5:56pm ...way LONG

• I am so happy for you!!!  I am laughing and tearing at your story. Love that DH didn't go to a bar on the way home, LOL.  His fainting is just priceless.

I'm happy that you are on good terms with no VBAC-- you did what you could but at the end of the day, we can't control everything (or anything it seems). IF has certainly taught me that. That is really nice the doctor called you to tell you he had to come out via c/s.

LOL about the doula. I can totally picture how annoying someone talking at you would be. Sorry mom ignored your wishes too.

Can't wait to see a pic. Hope you are healing and will be up and feeling good soon. Get some rest Momma!!

I also sent you an email:-)

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Aww, congratulations on your baby boy!  Speedy healing and happy holidays to you!
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • You did it!!! Congratulations mama. So excited for you and your family.

I teared up at the part about your Dr calling you. Something like that would mean so much to me. 

It may not have been exactly what you planned, but the end result is awesome. I do wish you a speedy recovery from your c/s.

I hope your holidays at home with the new little one are amazing!!! 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • What an amazing story. Congrats!!!
  • Congratulations! You sound like you are in a wonderful frame of mind for not having had the birth experience you wanted. Most importantly, I'm glad you and Rami are healthy and well!
    TTC #1 since June 2010
    Me: 36, DH: 42
    Dx: DOR and MFI

DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
    Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
    IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
    DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
    DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

SAIFW/PAIFW
  • Congrats! Can't wait to see pics! :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats!!! 

Wow - Jad sounds like an awesome little guy who is going to be a fantastic big brother!  Go Jad!

I really look forward to seeing pics of Rami!  And thanks for sharing your story!!  It was a good one.  Enjoy your bonding....glad to hear he is nursing so well!!  Take care of yourself! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Congratulations!!! I'm sorry that things didn't go as you would have liked, but I'm glad everyone's ok.  I had to laugh at YH fainting.  Can't wait to see pics of Rami.  Congratulations again!  And enjoy that sweet little boy.

• Amazing (and exhausting) story! So many congrats to you!
    me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • Congratulations!  Sorry that your delivery didn't go quite as planned.  Sounds like your little boy is going to be a great big brother.  Glad to hear that everyone is doing well.  Merry Christmas and will be watching for pictures of your LO!
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Congratulations!  What a wonderful story.  In my very limited experience I've learned that babies come to us on their own terms and in their own way - when and how they want.  I'm happy that you are feeling good with your c/s decision.  I'm convinced my c/s saved not only my sons life but mine as well.  

Stay in touch and I can't wait to see pictures :) 

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• I am sorry you didn't get your VBAC but it sounds like your little one had other plans! Congratulations, mama! I wish you and easy recovery.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Welcome to the world Rami!  Congrats Mrs. JA!
    Me: 40 Dh: 41, TTC since August 2009, began Acupuncture and Herbs Sept 2011, began Temping and Charting Nov 2011. image
  • I'm sorry it work the way you wanted it to, but I'm glad you finally got to meet your baby.  Congrats, and keep in touch!
  • So glad to hear you finally made it!!  Cannot wait to see pics!   You had a very long ordeal and I am very happy to hear both mommy and baby are doing well.  Congratulations!  :) 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • words can't explain my happiness for you.  Can't wait to see pictures. 
  • So glad that everything turned out ok in the end!!  Can't wait to see some pics of your handsome baby!!  Best of luck to you!!!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Congrats!!! So happy for you. thank you for sharing your amazing story. Merry Christmas!
    M-43 DOR (FSH 20 AMH 0.16, AFC 4-6) Endo stage III DH-42 (low everything)
    TTC #1 unofficially since 6/09, officially since 10/10
    6/11 RE testing,rt tube blocked with hydro, 8/11 lap surgery rt tl
    IVF#1 10/11 Estrace,450 Follistim, 15 units low-dose HCG, DHEA - cancelled (only follie growing)
    IVF#2 started stims 11/4/11 - same protocol, increase in concentration of HCG, added CoQ10, no response, cancelled on CD 12
    12/2/11 began accupuncture; Break in Dec. Next cycle anticipated in Jan.
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • love the birth story...it's something you can tell Rami over and over againSmile  congratulations and speedy recovery!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are a champ Mama! Congrats to you and your family. The fainting part was, by far, the funniest. And you are amazing for making it through and being able to relate that whole story for us all. Good luck and good healing!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"