September 2011 Moms
Options

How long is your baby awake between naps?

I'm just curious how long your LOs are awake between their naps. Carter seems to only be able to make it 1.5 - 2 hours between naps without getting cranky and overtired. Recently I've been getting a lot of coments from other people about this and how he should be awake a lot longer than he is. Obviously, I'm not going to keep him awake longer because of what other people say, it just made me wonder about other babies his age. He usually only gets between 8-10 hours of sleep each night, usually waking up once (sometimes twice) in those 8-10 hours. During the week, he sometimes gets even less than that at night, because we have to leave the house at 5:30am. So I feel like he's probably making up for this during the day. Also, lately he's been taking really short naps, usually no longer than a half hour, so of course he's going ot want/need to sleep more than a baby who takes 2-hour naps during the day.

Like I said, just curious.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long is your baby awake between naps?

• Options
    Thanks for the response! Good to know we're not the only ones taking naps so close together. We've spent a lot of time around family this past week and they all thought I was insane for trying to get him to take a nap when he "just woke up"...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    about 2 hours in between naps here too.. I think I have read about 15 hours of sleep per 24 hours a day is normal for 3 mo old
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD is even older and she needs to settle down at 1.5 hrs on the dot or else!  Same as PP, she takes one long nap mid-day (2-3 hrs usually) and the rest are 45 min shorties. She sleeps ~10 hrs at night (not STTN, though).
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like that is a long time!  DD is only awake for an hour at a time.  If it is any longer than that it is really difficult to get her to sleep.  I feel like my baby is always sleeping and she still gets up at least three times a night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    She starts to fade at 1.5hrs, and rarely can make it 2 hours. She naps 45 min at a time, rarely longer. Maybe once a week I get a 2+ hour nap out of her. She sstn 8ish-5:30, then eats & goes down for another 3 hrs.
  • Options
    I am happy to see another concerned mama out there re: sleep! I feel like Bo sleeps all of the time! For us, he too makes it about 1-2 hours between his usual 30-45 minute naps, but sometimes he will take 2-3 hour naps! At night,  he sleeps for a good 10 hours- wakes up to eat and then is back asleep for 3 hours! 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I've read that most babies can't stay awake for more than 2 hours without getting cranky. My LO stays awake longer as the day goes on. In the morning he's usually awake for about an hour. In the afternoon he can go closer to 3 hours without a nap! Don't worry. Sounds like your guy is pretty normal!
  • Options

imagecmoosey:
    D is usually awake 1.5, 2 hours max between catnaps.  He takes 1 good nap (~2 hours) in the afternoons, but the rest of his naps are typicalls 20-45 mintues long.  He sleeps a lot at night though.  On a good night he's up 1x from 7:30pm - 7 or 8am. 

This exactly. Thanks for posting this, OP. Makes me feel better about our situation and the fact that DD gets cranky at about the 1.5 hour mark.

• Options
    DD is only awake for about an hour at a time (at almost 4 months old!).  I keep thinking I should try to keep her up a bit longer but she gets really fussy right about 50 minutes to an hour.  She ends up taking 5-6 naps a day since her naps are only 25-40 minutes long, too.  She does sleep at night from about 7:30pm - 7:30 am... with about 3-6 wakeups.  But, she is EBF and falls right back to sleep.  She probably doesn't need to eat everytime she wakes but it works for now!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My LO is awake for 3 hrs in the evening but otherwise she is going down for a nap every 1-2 hrs. She goes to bed around 9 and wakes up around 6 or 7 to eat.

If she seems cranky then I give her a nap but if she is fine then I let her stay up. I try to always catch her before she gets too tired though.

• Options

We are the same.  He only can stay awake 1.5 to 2 hours.  He naps 45 minutes to 1.5 hours, sometimes 2 hours.  At night he sleeps 8-6 waking up once to eat around 2am.

HSHHC says 2 hours is the most the can stay awake until 4 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"