Washington Babies
Options

So now that Evergreen's midwives are only 2...

Cut back from 5 to 2 midwives, it means that they rotate schedules with physicians and can not guarantee that a midwife will deliver or even be there for my birth.

SO... I'm definitely wanting a midwife delivery, as natural as possible, not in a hospital if I can help it. I live in Bothell, so I'd prefer not to have to drive to Issaquah or even Seattle. I was looking at Evergreen (Center for WOmen's Health) and Overlake but have not heard many things about midwives at Overlake. Now that Evergreen's situation has changed, I want to look elsewhere. My insurance does not cover Puget Sound Birth Center or else I would choose there.

Any suggestions, please??!!! 

Re: So now that Evergreen's midwives are only 2...

• Options
    A few ladies on here have delivered at Prov in Everett with the midwives and loved them. Also, have you considered a home birth? I wouldnt worry too much about the driving- we drove from Everett to PSMBC and it didnt seem like a lot of driving, personally. GL! Too bad about your insurance. Also you could try calling PSMBC and asking what they would recommend since they know a lot about how natural-friendly the hospitals are around here. They might be able to give you some good options. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ugh, how frustrating!  If your insurance doesn't cover PSBC I'd be surprised if they cover any out of hospital birth option, but there is the Eastside Birth Center in Bellevue. 

I agree with BlueLu, the drive might be worth it to get the care you want.  We drove from Lynnwood to Kirkland for my son's birth at PSBC. Not ideal, but 100% worth it. 

There is the Center for Birth in Seattle to consider as well...I think it is right off of 520 in Seattle.

Personally, my experiences with PSBC have been so wonderful, I would pay out of pocket to use them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you all for your answers!

I just checked and the midwife has to be a licensed nurse midwife and in-network which also rules out Seattle Birth Center (why PSMBC is out). That means that home births and all birthing centers are out. I am not in a position to pay out of pocket, so I will have to look elsewhere.

BlueLu,-- good idea about calling to ask for recommendations. I also looked at Prov Everett and that IS covered-- shock!  The pics of the 'Family Maternity Center' look more like an upscale hospital room than a birth center...  Can anyone share personal experiences from midwives at Prov Everett?  Just a little nervous here since it will be my 1st little one! :)

• Options
    WA state mandates that insurers must cover Licensed Midwives.  Who is your insurer?  You may want to call some midwives and ask about their experience with said company if you would prefer an out of hospital birth.  Heck, even Medicaud covers home birth.
  • Options
    yeah, we had ins. from DSHS (Medicaid) for #2 and even they covered PSBC. For #1 we ended up paying out of pocket for the prenatal and it wasnt that bad... but I understand it not being a financial option. You should page Keri, she has had two babies at Prov all natural and loves them. I know there are others as well. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Here I am! Big Smile Yes, a few of us have used the midwives at Prov and had great experiences. As Leanne mentioned, I've had two all-natural deliveries there. Love love love the midwives, they were all great and if we weren't done I'd definitely go back to them for another birth. Very supportive of med-free birth, didn't require constant fetal monitoring, etc. The nurses at Prov are great too, with my first delivery I had this awesome nurse who had delivered her kids naturally and was trained in Reiki. She stayed two hours after her shift ended to be there when my son was born. I definitely recommend them!
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Options
    I delivered at evergreen and had a natural birth. my doctor was part of  "evergreen womens care". i didn't have a midwive (i didn't even know they had them) my nurse was AMAZING though. she knew i wanted to go natural no matter how much i begged for an epi and she helped me through the pain. she even stayed with me after my daughter was born even though she was supposed to go be with other patients. my husband wants me to switch hospitals because we are in arlington and it is a long commute that he doesn't want to deal with again but i don't care. i could never leave evergreen after having such an amazing labor and delivery, and i can't wait to do it naturally again!
  • Options

My insurance *says* they only cover LNM in the paperwork, and my LMs go under the official category LNM in the insurances' system, but they really cover any licensed midwife..you just have to finagle them a bit. Worth looking into by talking with an actual person at your insurance, especially if the PP is right about state law!

My experience: I started with Eastside Midwives in Bellevue because I liked their philosophy, very hands off, but the atmosphere there is very stuffy. After meeting all three of them at my first three appointments I just didn't feel comfortable with two of the three, so I recently switched to Fremont Midwifery. I LOVE them! I've met both of them (one at the interview, one at my first appointment), and they are so calm and assured and truly, truly respectful of their mothers' individuality. I have none of the reservations with them I had with the other three groups I've talked with, I am just so happy and comfortable with them. Highly recommend looking into them if your insurance covers LMs! Eastside also seemed very competent and worth meeting with, I wouldn't not-recommend them, they just weren't the right fit for me.

ETA A few weeks ago I asked for MW recommendations on here, too, so if you want more opinions you might check out those responses, too!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Sent you a PM

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"