North Carolina Babies

DS is here... XP of birth story

Short backstory: I posted on my BMB Wednesday that I wasn't sure if my water broke; there was a small gush but nothing else, and contractions had started, weren't very intense but were anywhere from 4-8ish minutes apart.

So, turns out my water didn't break when I thought it did. DH and I went to the doctor on Wednesday, she checked me and the pH test was negative for fluid, but I was 90% effaced (up from Monday's appointment), still only a fingertip dilated. The contractions were only lasting 30-60 seconds each, both in my back and in the very lower part of my stomach. She gave us the option of going home or going to the hospital, I was too afraid of being sent home from the hospital for not enough progress so we went home. 1.5 hours later, the contractions were right on top of each other and DH wanted me to go in. 

We got to the hospital at about 1230; in our room and out of triage at 145. I was not handling the contractions very well and the baby's heart rate was dropping into the 60s. The contractions didn't give me a break at all and with the HR issues, I ended up with a shot of terbutaline to slow them down and on constant oxygen until the end. I had my mind set on a drug-free birth, but I was already exhausted, only at 5cm. The epi went in and I felt better, but still had a hot spot. At 5pm they started pitocin to get the contractions moving a bit faster agiain...we got to 10cm at about 9pm and the epi wore off. They wouldn't put more in because there was still a risk of a c-section due to his HR issues. 2 hours of pushing later the doctor told me there was no way he was coming out vaginally, he wasn't progressing enough. 

I got prepped for the c-section and I was in so much pain I don't remember much. I remember getting wheeled to the OR, getting the oxygen, getting to the spinal and anxiety medication and them moving me to the table, but that's about it. I don't remember DH coming into the room, my last memory before blacking out was screaming at someone that I could feel them cutting me. 

I started to wake up in recovery but could barely open my eyes; they kept asking me if I wanted to see him and I said no since I couldn't see much. After about an hour I was able to keep them open enough to see him and we were wheeled back to the room (most of this is from DH, I remember telling them no I didn't want to see him but I don't remember much else). I was then able to feed him when we got to the room and since then, so far so good. We have some issues with a shallow latch, but we're working on it.

We go home on Christmas day!

Recovery has been OK, it's amazing how much you don't realize you use your abs for. Getting in and out of bed is hard, but once I'm up I'm ok with walking around. 

And for the stats... Baby Charch born 12/22/11 at 12:09am, 8lbs 5oz, 23.75" long! 

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011

Re: DS is here... XP of birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"