Military Families

Norfolk - apt. recommendations?

I rarely post here, so I'm sorry for coming in and asking a bunch of questions, but I need your input.

I'm moving to Norfolk to be closer to SO once our baby arrives and he gets home from deployment.  We're probably only going to be in Norfolk for a few months before we PCS, but we need to find a place to live together (we're getting married once he gets home too).

Do you have any recommendations on places/mangment companies that have flexible/short-term leases nearby to the naval base / camp allen?  When I look online, every place has really low ratings, so I have no clue where to even start looking for a place to live since they all seem pretty horrible.

Please feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfy sharing on the board!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage

Re: Norfolk - apt. recommendations?

• Why do you need a short term lease?  From my limited experience, most nice places don't do month-to-month.  If you get orders a few months after you are in Norfolk, you have a valid and legal reason to break a year-long lease.  Military clauses are legally required to be in all residential leases.  So as long as you would be moving for military reasons (and present your orders), you can look for ANY place and sign a traditional 12 month lease. 

I would look in the Ghent area.  There are a lot of condos that are rented out.  It is a great part of Norfolk - safe and pretty and you can walk to lots of restaurants and shops.  I don't think there are any traditional apartment complexes there, but there are a lot of condos and townhomes available typically.  It is more expensive, but worth it IMO. 

When my DH and I PCSed here waaaaaaaaaay back in 2003 we lived at Park Crescent Apartments for one year.  The location is so-so but the apartments themselves were fine.  I wouldn't recommend it over Ghent by any stretch, but if you are really looking for a traditional apartment complex type place, it is a decent place to look.  The apartments are big and nicely laid out.

Other than that, I'm no help.  If you hit a brick wall and want to branch out into VA Beach let me know.  Even though I live in Norfolk, I know of more apartments in VA Beach.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagesweetpea2003:

Why do you need a short term lease?  From my limited experience, most nice places don't do month-to-month.  If you get orders a few months after you are in Norfolk, you have a valid and legal reason to break a year-long lease. Military clauses are legally required to be in all residential leases.  So as long as you would be moving for military reasons (and present your orders), you can look for ANY place and sign a traditional 12 month lease.  

I would look in the Ghent area.  There are a lot of condos that are rented out.  It is a great part of Norfolk - safe and pretty and you can walk to lots of restaurants and shops.  I don't think there are any traditional apartment complexes there, but there are a lot of condos and townhomes available typically.  It is more expensive, but worth it IMO. 

When my DH and I PCSed here waaaaaaaaaay back in 2003 we lived at Park Crescent Apartments for one year.  The location is so-so but the apartments themselves were fine.  I wouldn't recommend it over Ghent by any stretch, but if you are really looking for a traditional apartment complex type place, it is a decent place to look.  The apartments are big and nicely laid out.

Other than that, I'm no help.  If you hit a brick wall and want to branch out into VA Beach let me know.  Even though I live in Norfolk, I know of more apartments in VA Beach.

Ah - great to know!  Obviously I'm very new to the military lifestyle (and SO is new to living off-base), so I did not know that we could sign a 12-month lease, knowing that we'd be leaving anywhere between 4-6 months in the future.  Thanks - this will help a LOT!

I'm a huge fan of Ghent, so I'm psyched that we can widen our search. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Glad to help!  Even my DH who is very well read and pays attention to the ins and outs of military rights wasn't very well versed on the military clause when we moved here.  We even own two homes (one that is rented to a military family) and he wan't totally aware.  Duh DH :)

Right now we are one year into a two year lease (we rent a single family home in Larchmont) and there is a solid chance we might have to move out sometime next fall.  But the military clause clearly states that orders = free and clear break of the lease.  It definitely widens your options.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"