D.C. Area Babies
Options

follow-up from 2wk visit

I went to my hospital's moms lactation group today. They have 3-4 lactation consultants on hand to help folks. Anyway, we did a weighed feeding and it was 1 ounce (32 grams). not sure how that works out though with what he should be doing. I guess it's good but not great and he needs more to put the pounds on. we're going to keep using the nipple shields as that is what he takes to and doesn't beat up my nips as much when i use it. the lac consultant thinks that he might have issues with his frenulum under the tongue and on the upper lip which some of you mentioned as a possible issue. Called the pedi (he was out this afternoon) so we'll talk to him tomorrow. and finally, lac consultant told me to start pumping too to keep the supply up until he's ready to go and still consider doing an at breast supplement 1x a day until he's really gaining. 

So, at least I have some ideas about what is going on and hopefully we'll have a better plan after we talk to the pedi tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the supportive comments and feedback. They all seem like they were spot on and definitely helped me feel better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: follow-up from 2wk visit

• Options
    Way to go, mama! I'm glad that you're both getting some help - it sounds promising! 
                                             Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

Yes  1 oz is good!  They should be getting 1 to 2 oz per feeding at this stage if I recall.  I know how hard it is to have a tiny baby who isn't eating enough.  We STRUGGLED with breastfeeding - she didn't eat was SUPER slow and it hurt me a lot.  I was in pain every time she nursed for 10 weeks.  Crying  And I was pumping and BFing because I really wanted to give BFing a shot so it felt like I was always doing one or the other.  In the end, as I mentioned before, I ended up exclusively pumping.  It wasn't a decision I came to easily, but it did work for us in the end.  Those first few weeks were really tough but the good news is, we made it through!  I ended up pumping for 7 months.  You will make it through this too!

ETA:  I am the first one to admit that the thing that kept me going in those early days was the promise that BFing is a great way to lose the baby weight.  I knew it was good for DD, but the weight loss factor was the extra incentive I needed to keep going when it really sucked.  I'm so glad that I stuck it out. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That sounds pretty optimistic! Yay! We had a really rough first month of bfing but it led to 13 mos of success and was totally worth sticking with it. Sounds like you're on a good track and got some good advice from the lc. Good luck!
  • Options

I just want to echo pps - you're doing great!  we had a really hard time BF in the beginning too, DS just wasn't that interested - he'd latch great and then let go after less than a minute and he'd do that for as long as you'd let him, but not really get much.  I had to pretty much hold my boob in the right spot for him for probably the first 2 months or more of BF, I remember thinking "this is what people say is so great?! are they crazy?! "  It was definitely overwhelming and somewhat stressful to be the primary food source.  I ended up pumping and giving at least one or two bottles a day in the beginning because it was easier and I felt that DS drank more - it was also a great way to build up some freezer stash for when I returned to work and my supply dropped a bit. 

The reward came eventually, around 4.5 months or so (which is probably later than for most), but I'm so glad we stuck it out.  About that time he got super-fast at nursing and I didn't have to bottle feed anymore - he'd nurse pretty much anywhere easily and it was a great way to get him to settle down for sleep.  I really started to love that DS and I had that time together, and I'm so glad we stuck it out.  

We have had different challenges along the way, and it can get frustrating at times, but someone here once said "don't give up BF on a bad day" and I try to remember that when the going gets tough.  When things get easier again I'm always glad I pushed through. GL!

• Options
    Yes, definitely talk to your pedi about it. I think 1 oz may be a little on the low side, but if you nurse more often, your supply should increase. If your pedi recommends supplementing with formula, you should nurse first and then offer formula. You can also try to pump after you nurse. I used to pump after the first morning nursing session, because that's when your milk is at its highest level. It really helped me with my supply. Good luck!  
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

DD2 had her frenulum clipped. Although she had no problem nursing/gaining, her latch was not good and it tore me up.  Find a really good ENT to have your DS evaluated.  My home visit LC diagnosed it even though the LCs while I was at the hospital said there was nothing wrong.  My ENT does fren clips and she said that my LC must be very good because most would have missed it.  In any case, my ENT wasn't able to clip all of it (part was too close to the tongue she was afraid that she might accidentally clip her tongue.) but it did really help.  The procedure was really quick, very little blood, etc.  The worst part was holding her steady for the doc to do the clip.  After the clip, she only cried for the time it took for the doc to check her work and then for me to put her on the boob.  That's it.  She was 2-3 weeks old.  Are you in Houston or in the NoVA area?  I'll PM you my ENT if you are in NoVA.  DD2 is still nursing at 15 months and I think she will nurse until college if I let her Stick out tongue

I used a nipple shield with DD1 and while they do help with the latch/pain part, then can decrease your supply (LO is less efficient) and when your DS is BFing he might not get as much (because he has to work harder). I was able to wean DD1 from the nipple shield when she was 3-4 weeks old. Pumping is a good idea just to keep your supply up, but just know that output does not equal supply.  Some woman don't respond well to the pump but there is nothing wrong with their supply.  Even if you don't get a lot out, the pumping will signal a demand to your body which will help with supply.

Good luck!  Kudos to you to keep on trying to BF. It can be hard in the beginning so keep up the good work.

• Options

Don't bother seeing a pedi, make an appt with an ENT ASAP.

We ended up not clipping the tight frenulum and I still regret it. I nursed with a shield for 13.5months!! DS never tasted formula and I was able to produce enough.

Pump after you nurse to tell your body to produce more, I don't think 1oz is that much.

good luck, you are doing a great job!!

• Options

Oh, I didn't realize you were using a nipple shield. If that's the case, you should definitely be pumping an extra once or twice a day to keep your supply up--he won't be able to drain your breasts as well as if he were nursing directly. That might be part of your issue.

We did that, and would sometimes have to supplement with pumped milk after a BFing session. 

I'm surprised the LCs didn't try to get you off the shield already. Mine were kind of Nazis about it. I ended up using it for 8 weeks (they wanted me off it at 2 weeks, whatever). By that time J was ready to latch normally. Can't hurt to try, though--once he gets going, try to slip it off and have him keep nursing.

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"