Stay at Home Moms
Options

Vacation Poll

Where have you gone/will go on vacation with kids?  I'm looking for destination ideas next year, can be domestic or international. 

Any tips on how to keep amount of luggage low?  I seem to over pack every time we hop on a plane with DS.  Boo.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vacation Poll

• Options

Pretty much the only place we go on vacation is Ft Myers, FL. My aunt has a house there so it's way easier/cheaper than staying at a hotel! I LOVE it there, I've gone every year at least once for the past 13 years. This will be the first year not going and it's killing me.

We also went to northern MI this summer, which was fun, but difficult with a toddler.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We went to Disneyworld a few months ago.  We were there for a week with our whole family.  

Believe it or not, between DH, DS and I we pack 2 bags.  I pack ONLY what I thought we would really use.  We stayed at Kidani Village and had a washer and dryer in our rooms.  (Plus full kitchen) So that cut back on the amount of crap we had to pack.  We ordered groceries and had it delivered to our rooms.

Disneyworld was awesome.  It was the first time I had ever been and DS first time too.  

Have fun planning!

April 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This will be our first summer going anywhere as a family. My parents, siblings, and their families all rented out a 8 bedroom beach front house on cape Hatteras. None of us have ever been there.. but we're all driving, and it should be loads of fun!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • Options
    imageCountryMile:

We went to Disneyworld a few months ago.  We were there for a week with our whole family.  

Believe it or not, between DH, DS and I we pack 2 bags.  I pack ONLY what I thought we would really use.  We stayed at Kidani Village and had a washer and dryer in our rooms.  (Plus full kitchen) So that cut back on the amount of crap we had to pack.  We ordered groceries and had it delivered to our rooms.

Disneyworld was awesome.  It was the first time I had ever been and DS first time too.  

Have fun planning!

This past summer we also went to VA beach and stayed a week on the ocean with the whole family.  Lots of fun and stress free!
    April 2009
  • Options

Funny you guys mention FL since we live in Tampa, lol. 

I cannot wait to bring DS to Disney World, but it will be a while before he enjoys it. 

I will see if DH wants to drive to Ft. Meyers for a weekend next month.  We've driven through it but never spent time there. 

• Options
    Oh, thanks for mentioning big family vacations!  I'm the planner in the family and was also thinking about destinations on the east coast that people could drive or fly to for our extended families.  OBX is definitely one of the top choices right now!
  • Options
    imagechocoholicchick:

Funny you guys mention FL since we live in Tampa, lol. 

I cannot wait to bring DS to Disney World, but it will be a while before he enjoys it. 

I will see if DH wants to drive to Ft. Meyers for a weekend next month.  We've driven through it but never spent time there

It is my home away from home! My aunt's house is right on a canal where you can see manatees if you're lucky. We always drive to the Naples Zoo too. Every time I go I say I want to move there... but then I remember that I actually don't love hot weather and would probably melt in the summer.

• Options

imagechocoholicchick:
    Oh, thanks for mentioning big family vacations!  I'm the planner in the family and was also thinking about destinations on the east coast that people could drive or fly to for our extended families.  OBX is definitely one of the top choices right now!

after spending 3 weeks searching for a house and dealing with multiple families wants and needs.. we found our vacation home on this site.  Just incase you do the OBX thing at some point. Happy hunting!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • Options
    imagegoldenleaves:

It is my home away from home! My aunt's house is right on a canal where you can see manatees if you're lucky. We always drive to the Naples Zoo too. Every time I go I say I want to move there... but then I remember that I actually don't love hot weather and would probably melt in the summer.

I still melt in the summer and I've been here almost 3 years already.  I thought I was going to die when I was heavily pg in June. 

I didn't realize Naples had a zoo, we will definitely check it out.  Thanks!

• Options
    imagemorgs8384:

after spending 3 weeks searching for a house and dealing with multiple families wants and needs.. we found our vacation home on this site.  Just incase you do the OBX thing at some point. Happy hunting!

Thanks for the link, that will be very handy in the near future!  DH and I were browsing online last night and had sticker shock with some of the rentals.  We'll see all of our parents this weekend so we're going to ask for timing and will start planning from there.  Woot.

What about international destinations?  I am dying to go to Costa Rica or back to Europe.  WDYT with a one year old?  Insane?  Doable?  Just go on a cruise to make our lives easier?  lol. 

• Options
    No summer vacation this year.  Between having a baby and buying a house our funds are low.  People always comment to me, "you live at the beach!"  It's still nice to get away!!!!  Maybe next year we will go to Myrtle Beach.  We went there this past summer for a week and had a WONDERFUL time. 
  • Options

imageKitCat1:
    We camp.  We have a hybrid camper.  My girls love it.  DH and I love it.  It's our thing.  We can do weekend trips or longer.  Eventually, we'll do a big trip to the Grand Canyon, another to Disney, etc.  We have "camping" friends that we schedule trips with.  I know it's not for everyone, but it's awesome for us.

What is a hybrid camper?  I grew up camping and love it.  I wish I could get my husband into it more.  

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have vacationed with DS in Florida (including 2 trips to WDW), Santa Barbara, CA, Park City, UT, Austin, TX, NYC a few times, Maine, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Vermont, and then a bunch of random trips to Illinois and MIchigan to see family. Our favorite trips with him have been the beach ones (the Cape, Vineyard, Castal Maine, FL) and Park City. He had a blast at all those locations. obviously he will say Disney is his favorite, lol.
  • Options

We go to Seaside, FL for two weeks every summer. Besides that, we've taken DD to New York City, to our lake house in the UP {Menominee} ,skiing in Whistler and we're taking her to London for Spring Break possibly. Next summer when she turns 9, she and I are going to live in Italy/France for 6 weeks with some friends. She's a great traveler and loves to explore, so we could and hope to go everywhere!

ETA: I forgot two trips to Disney World. We also go on weekend trips to GA and TN a lot. 

• Options

imagemorgs8384:
    This will be our first summer going anywhere as a family. My parents, siblings, and their families all rented out a 8 bedroom beach front house on cape Hatteras. None of us have ever been there.. but we're all driving, and it should be loads of fun!

You'll love it! I have been to Jamaica, Mexico, Bahamas but yet the Outer Banks is my favorite, so homey and local. Cape Hatteras is quiet for sure so lots of time for family time! And quiet beaches, of course I'm sure you'll know to go to Ocracoke, but if you didn't plan to, it's a must.

We stayed at Ocracoke for our honeymoon (nightmare trip) and visited Hatteras for the day, got back too late and missed the last ferry and had to sleep in the car at Cape Hatteras lighthouse.... oh, what a long night.

• Options

Flying to Carmel with DD in August

Flying to LA with the fam in October

Probably driving up the New England coast at one point or another

• Options
    imagemorgs8384:
    Love love love Cape Hatteras and the OBX! We went as a family last summer and the boys loved it! I highly recommend the captains table to eat in Buxton. Stay away from the Surf and turf in Buxton. Food was soso and seriously over priced! We also liked diamond shoals for lunch (best seafood quesadilla ever). And fat eddies treats has the best icecream ever! We stayed in the Cape Hatteras Motel and loved every min. We got one of their two bedroom ocean side apartments. Nothing fancy but was perfect for us! Only 1200 for the whole week which is much cheaper than the rental homes. (ours was a last min trip on a budget)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am dying to take my kids to Williamsburg, Va, Jamestown, VA, Washington DC, and Pennsylvania Amish County.  It makes the most sense for me to drive and I would have to do it alone because DH can't take the time off next year, but I am thinking about it for next year and just having DH meet us in DC for a few days.  I also think that Washington State and Oregon have some great kid road trip venues, with lots of great places relatively close together, like the US side of the San Juan Islands, Seattle, Portland, and the coastal towns. 
  • Options

We haven't taken the kids internationally yet, but we go on vacation several times a year.  We're on the East Coast so most of our destinations are on the East Coast.

Some favorites that are good for kids:

Outer Banks-we stay in Corolla and Nags Head

Amelia Island Florida-love Amelia Island Plantation

Kiawah Island, SC

Isle of Palm, SC

Sanibel, FL

Anna Maria Island, FL

We're going to Longboat Key this year for spring break.  Don't know much about it but looks nice.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"