Preemies
Options

Is your Preemie on a schedule

This is my 2nd baby. He is 4 months old (adjusted age 2.75 months) and is not on any sort of a schedule. He is FF and eats anywhere from every 2-3 hours. He gives me one stretch of good sleep from about 8pm-1am but thats the only thing that is predictable. He does that stretch of sleep completely swaddled in a miracle blanket (aka straight jacket) in the RnP. I am trying to get him to nap in his crib but the most he will sleep in there is 30 minutes. He just wakes up. He is swaddled in a regular blanket during those times. He also uses a Paci.

when he was in in the NICU,, he was on the feed every 3 hours schedule but that went out the window almost as soon as he got home. I am getting ready to go back to work and he will be with my daycare provider who is good about following a schedule that I give her (she also has my 2yr old son). 

Is it too early for me to expect him to be on any schedule? What are your experiences? Why wont he sleep in the crib for more than 30 minutes. He is tired and I am frustrated. I have to get him used to the crib as now that he is older, he wakes up from noise that my 2yr old creates if he naps in the family living area.

Thanks!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Is your Preemie on a schedule

• Options
    We did schedule DD much at all - at first we kept the 3 hour NICU feeding schedule but didnt wake her to eat if she was sleeping. She did her own thing for a while and went back to eating every 3 hours which is what we do now, she STTN from 8pm -8am more or less. without waking to feed in the night. She used to do what your LO is doing and having one long stretch at night - which gradually got longer and longer and now shes on a great schedule of her choosing which suits me just fine. I'm not sure if its a preemie thing but DD wouldnt sleep ANYWHERE when we first got home from the NICU - we took turns sleeping with her on our chest in the living room recliner for months. Then it was her RnP, then slowly she started to like her swing then finally her PnP and Bassinet. She will chill in her crib but not sleep in it still (were 5 months adjusted now) - but little by little we will get her used to her crib and hopefully she will start to nap in there so the transition to her own room wont be too bad. Its just my "parenting style" I guess to let her dictate what she needs when. If your baby is getting woken up by your toddler I can understand why you might want to schedule her more -
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

DS1 was never really scheduled until a year old.  We did have a routine.  Bedtime was scheduled after 3 months old.

DS2 is very scheduled - starting at 3 months.

Go by adjusted age

Highly recommend reading healthy sleep habits happy child

• Loading the player...
  • Options

One of my guys wouldn't sleep in his crib for a long time.  It was frustrating, but we worked through it.  Some things that worked for us:

~Swaddle for all sleep the same.  Once you get a routine/schedule established, you can try using just a blanket for naps.

~Sleep in the same place all the time.  I was guilty of letting him nap in his swing or carrier because it was easy.  Once we started putting him in his crib (swaddled), it helped him make that association.

~Get a noise machine.  We have one in the nursery.  We play music during naps and to help them fall asleep at night.  Then we switch it over to a soothing sound.  We have this one:  https://www.homedics.com/soundspar-lullaby.html  Worth every penny!

~Try to establish a routine.  Even though your little one is less than 3 months adjusted, he will do well.  Have certain activities scheduled at the same time each day.  For us, bath time is HUGE.  Both boys love bath time and we've made it part of their daily routine.  They are older now and have made the association that after bath is bottle and then bed.  

One thing that popped into my head as I was replying -- does your little one spit up a lot?  Do you think he may have reflux?  Reflux does a number on sleep.

Good luck Smile 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

bath time is HUGE.  Both boys love bath time and we've made it part of their daily routine.  They are older now and have made the association that after bath is bottle and then bed.  

THIS!

DS is 7 months (5 adjusted) and he is on a schedule which we try and stick to as much as possible. He is a great sleeper and a very happy baby. We established this bedtime routine a fews weeks after he came home. It took him a little while to sttn but we did get there.

• Options

Reagan is pretty much on a schedule...it's not entirely strict though...

8:00 am - 5-6 ounce bottle

1 hour or so nap

10:30am- Prevacid

11:00am- 5 ounce bottle

12:30pm- usually around 2-3 ounces of fruit

Around 45 min nap after bottle

2:30pm- 5 ounce bottle

5:30pm- 5 ounce bottle

45 minute or so nap after bottle

7:00 or 7:30pm- 2-3 ounces of a vegetable

Usually asleep by 8:30 or so in her swing.

9:30pm- 5-6 ounce bottle (dream feed).

Sleeps til 8am.

This isn't exact but it usually flows this way...naps may change and times of bottles may vary a little. Sometimes she eats a little less. This is an example of a good day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"