South Florida Babies

Work update

I'm starting to realize working sucks!  How can I be a SAHM?! LOL I'm half-kidding, it's not realistic for us.  IDK what's wrong with DH and I lately.  We wonder if we are being unappreciative that we have good jobs that other people want, but at the same time it's hard to see others making the big bucks while we're overworked.

The new principal seems like a good leader so far, but I'm concerned about how things will go in January.  We have been having meetings to implement all the changes she wants, but she hasnt taken the time to really get to know the school and the employees.  She mentioned to the leadership team yesterday that she may have to lay off 5 teachers after the holidays.  That's going to be really tough on everyone.  I'm also scared she will let go of people at the end of the school year if we dont get an A, again. Next week, we have a meeting every day afterschool.

I can't wait for the vacation; although, I have a feeling she might want some of us to come into work! 

Re: Work update

• Boo! for overworking.  I know it is tough.  All my previous jobs (Accounting field) I would work 50+ hrs/wk on a slow week, and I didn't want that while I was a mom.  Dh and I agreed that I wanted to be there for the boys for their first everything.  We have made a sacrifice and now I'm working PT... but in your field, that is sorta hard.

All you can do now with new boss is try to "follow orders."  If she wants changes (w/in reason), go along with it and hope for the best.  New management ALWAYS equals change, and is very scary for everyone.  At the end, everything happens for a reason.  GL! 

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  •  It is not easy to be a working mom! I sometimes wish the same...to be a SAHM! But like you, it's not an option for us. I know my situation is a bit different since I do have some control over my schedule, but you are not alone in this!

It is hard work to have to start over with a new boss but I am sure you will have no issues in the long run. Wish you all the best in this journey and keep us posted on how it's going!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Have you looked into being a virtual teacher?  I'm not a teacher, but they were talking about the whole virtual teacher thing on the working moms board and it seemed really interesting. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I actually have!  I know a couple of people doing it, but it doesn't seem that stable yet in Florida.  I also don't know if my certifications cover any of the subjects taught through virtual.  
  • I mostly just think about going back to the classroom because I get paid the same as a teacher for being a reading coach.  I get a supplement for some of my extra responsibilities, but it's just a small bonus that's split into 2 payments one in January and one in June.  I don't know if  all the extra hours afterschool and in the summer are worth the small bonus.  I also get paid extra for Saturday tutoring, but I dont really want to do it.  I'd rather be home with Elise, but as part of the leadership team it's expected of me.

Ideally, I'd go back to teaching 1st grade and leave work by 3 everyday.  I would only lose out on the bonus.  DH tells me to just hang in there because I've come pretty close to an administrative position to go back, but IDK if the extra pay is worth being an administrator in this politicized environment.  I found out my principal only got 10K more as a principal than when he was an AP.  It definitely was not worth the extra money for him at all. He actually felt like a huge burden had been taken off of his shoulders.  

• Being a working mom sucks and is really hard :( I hate it and I too wish I could be a SAHM. But I've made peace with it because even though I dislike it for my own selfish reasons, I know me working is better for my family and for Emma. I honestly think that me working brings more positives in her life than negatives. It sucks for me because I am missing out on so much of her precious childhood, but she is really better off because of it. So the sacrifice is totally worth it. Another thing I tell myself to get through the rough days is that if I have to be working (which I kind of do), I'm glad I have my job as there is not much else I'd rather be doing (and I'm sure you feel the same way about your job, Adri!). I think about the poor moms and dads who are stuck at jobs they hate but can't afford to quit and I realize how lucky I am to at least do something I enjoy.

Hang in there. It's not easy but unfortunately it's a reality for a lot of moms. We will be okay and our kids will be fine! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, Jen!  I KWYM and I guess I just never expected to feel this way.  Last school year was fine, but this one is killing me.  I just hope things will fall into place once the new principal implements all her changes bc it's kinda like starting the school year all over, again.  I also realize that to improve my attitude i have to stay away from some very negative, bitter people at work.  I do love working at a school and I have to just tough it out with the new changes.
  • Just to add, being a SAHM is very hard.  Most of you know this was an unexpected turn of events for me after Ava was born.  I have made peace with it, and I have found some adjunct stuff to keep me busy at home.  However, we have had to sacrifice quite a bit for this change of events.  The funny thing is that after Spencer was born I tried everything in the word to be a SAHM, but it was not able to work out. 

Hang in there; things happen for a reason. 

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • imageGenaAndJosh:

Just to add, being a SAHM is very hard. 

Totally. They are both very hard, just in what I would imagine to be different ways (I've only seen one side of it).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"