Preemies

Walker has NEC

That's right. Well, I guess he had it and has since had surgery. NEC was my biggest worried from the start. After getting discharged I started researching about preemies and found myself almost hyperventilating when reading about it.

Walker was doing so well. He was off of lipids, they took the temperature probe off and he was NCPAP. Great strides. On the second day of NCPAP, they started upping his oxygen and that thought he was getting sick. Third day they were reading to transfer him to another area hospital for an oscillator because they thought he wasn't oxygenating enough. We decided to send him to the Texas Medical Center in Houston, about 45 minutes from where we live. As soon as we arrived they began asking about NEC. I asked the area hospital EVERYDAY if he was showing signs. I can't blame anyone. These things happened.

He had surgery on Wednesday morning at 12:30 a.m and didn't come out until 4:30 a.m. He had 2 holes. One where his intestines connects to his colon and had a valve and 8 centimeters removed. And the other at the bottom of the stomach that was stitched together. 

He's not out of the woods yet but he is making great strides since the surgery. You can really tell now how much pain he was in when no one knew if it was NEC or not.I hope this is a turning point for our strong little boy!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Walker has NEC

• Oh, no, poor baby. :( And poor momma, that must be so scary for you.

Another preemie mom at my NICU has twins born at 24w that are 2 weeks older than our kids. Her girl had NEC a few weeks back requiring surgery and she's doing great now.

Wishing Walker a speedy recovery.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • What a stressful experience! We had some NEC scares and I was a wreck! I'm so sorry you and Walker are going through this and glad to hear that he is improving. Sounds like he is in the right place! Taking care of preemies is tricky business and sometimes you just need to be in a place with a little more experience. Keep us posted!!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry to hear this! But I'm glad to hear that he is at TCH-it really is a wonderful hospital. They will do everything they can for him. Its great that you are already seeing big steps forward after surgery.

I'm very close to TCH so please let me know if you need anything. I'll PM you my email now so you can get to me. I spent 10 weeks there so I know my way around pretty well and I'm happy to help you navigate everything there-including which nurses to request and so on.

Are you staying at RMH? If they didn't tell you how to spend the night at the hospital, let me know so I can fill you on that too. 

• Oh my gosh.  I'm so sorry to read this, and I'm glad they caught it!  I'm glad to hear he's doing better now. Please keep us posted.  There are a few mommies on this board whose babies had NEC - I hope they'll be able to chime in and share their stories.

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • I'm sorry. NEC is so scary, but I'm glad the surgery was successful and he's improving since then. Hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our babies were born at the same gestation and size, and our family discovered that DD had NEC at about 4 weeks (actual age).  I was completely ignorant about NEC, but we learned quickly when DD tanked after a standard PDA ligation.  DD lost 2/3 of her large intestine and had a ostomy that was reversed before she came home from the hospital.  Such a scary time, but so glad for you that your providers caught the problem.  I know that this is hard to believe, but we have nothing residual to show from DD's NEC today.  DD is small for her age, but there is nothing else nutritionally that has been different for her.  Sending prayers your way for a recovery in the right direction. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Lots of T&P for your strong little boy!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • NEC is pretty scary. My daughter had it when she was 3 days old (24w2d gestational) and had surgery 2 days later. I had barely had time to research preemies when it ocurred so I was pretty unprepared. It's hard when your babies go through any surgery, and this one is especially tough if they have to go on a bag for a while.

My daughter was on an ostomy bag for 12 weeks, which caused some problems with her eating and weight gain. It will be a turning point; just let him heal and grow and be there with him. He knows you're there. It's hard to know our babies are hurting sometimes, but knowing we're there and we love them really does help. Even just touching him and holding him will be a comfort. It may slow his progress some, and there may be some delays in growth, but trust the doctors. It will all work out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageDenesdia:
    Our babies were born at the same gestation and size, and our family discovered that DD had NEC at about 4 weeks (actual age).  I was completely ignorant about NEC, but we learned quickly when DD tanked after a standard PDA ligation.  DD lost 2/3 of her large intestine and had a ostomy that was reversed before she came home from the hospital.  Such a scary time, but so glad for you that your providers caught the problem.  I know that this is hard to believe, but we have nothing residual to show from DD's NEC today.  DD is small for her age, but there is nothing else nutritionally that has been different for her.  Sending prayers your way for a recovery in the right direction. 

Whew! Thank God! I just let out a big sigh. They keep saying this is a common thing and that they have a few babies that have had surgery but I don't know anyone that can relate or tell me their story.

• HEmery - email me with anything that you want to talk about: waitedia@yahoo.com.  I know that every case of NEC and every tiny peanut is different, but I want you to have hope from someone who has been through it.  Hang in there, mama!! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What a scary ordeal!  T&Ps for your little man.
  • Very sorry to hear of the struggles your little guy is having! I hope things start looking up for your family soon! Thoughts and prayers headed your way!
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My heart sank when I read your post - But Im so glad his surgery went well. I hope he recovers quickly and completely. T&Ps to you
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"