May 2012 Moms

Going to bed hungry?

So obviously I've had some hunger/bigger appetite that started in the 2nd tri once the m/s was gone. But then I read you really only need an extra 200 calories during pregnancy, which is like an apple and a banana LOL. I'm eating exactly what I ate pre-pregnancy (healthy, lots of fruits/veggies, probably could stand to eat more meat/protein). I'm a small person to begin with and have gained 7 pounds so far, which my doctor said was normal.

But I've noticed a lot at night, my stomach starts to growl. I don't eat a bedtime snack or really anything after dinner (now or pre-pregnancy). But maybe I should start? I just hate the idea of eating late at night and never do it. Our dinners are normally always meat/protein with veggies and a starch. Is it a problem or bad for the baby if I just ignore the hunger and go to bed? That's what I've been doing, but I obviously want to listen to my body and give my baby the calories he/she needs.

Thoughts? Should I just increase my protein throughout the day and hopefully that will help so I don't have to pig out right before bed?

Re: Going to bed hungry?

• Depending on what time you eat dinner I would try to eat some crackers and cheese, fruit or a small bowl of cereals before bed.  If I wait to long to eat I am still puking in the morning 

Team Blue! BabyFetus Ticker
  • I always eat a snack before bed if I get hungry, which is most nights.  I figure there is a reason I'm hungry as I never used to get hungry before bed.

I am eating more than an extra 300 calories a day, which is what I heard you need in the 2nd trimester,  but I only eat when I am hungry.  If I don't eat, I start to get sick and weak.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I have noticed the same thing the past 2 weeks.  It seems when I ignore I am more sick in the AM.  I usually take my PNV before bed with a glass of milk and that helps or a piece of cheese. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My /Chart; BFP 3/8/11 CP 3/16/11; 7/11 HSG & S/A both clear;
    Cycle 12~ 50 mg Clomid=BFP 9/9/11, Beta #1=280 & Beta #2=1513, 6w3d hb=122 bpm/ 8w2d hb=186 bpm/12w2d could not hear hb had a 3rd u/s and got to see the hb. 16w2d heard the hb! 156 bpm. A/S 1/3=girl
    <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D
  • This happens to me too.  I know I need to eat more protein during the day.  I think I will start trying to eat a healthy snack before bed and see if that helps.  Sometimes I feel bad too thinking I am starving my baby (even though I am sure I am not).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • I always try to go to bed hungry because it makes me feel like I didn't overeat that day.  I'm really trying to keep my weight gain in check.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I'm not pregnant, I like going to bed a little hungry. 

But when we're pregnant, we should not be doing that!! Also, that extra 300 calories a day thing is a myth. Pregnant women need 2,600 calories per day to grow a healthy baby and avoid problems like pre-eclampsia. I don't know about anyone else, but I sure wasn't eating 2,300 calories/day before I was pregnant!

Before I knew this, I would do my usual go-to-bed-hungry thing and not worry about it. Well, my baby was measuring several days behind for the first two ultrasounds.

Then, I realized that hunger pangs mean the baby needs food, so I started buying milk and other protein snacks to have on hand. A couple of times I've had to get up at 3am for a bathroom break, and I realized I was FAMISHED... so after the bathroom, I'd go and have a small glass of milk. Since then, my baby is measuring just fine, if not a little tall for his gestational age. And since I'm at risk for pre-eclampsia and IUGR, I'm determined to keep it that way!

I'm just as vain as anyone else and don't want to be a fat new Mommy, but honestly, now that I'm eating a lot more protein throughout the day (including at night), my weight gain has slowed down, AND I'm not craving junk food/sweets. Apparently, as long as you're eating plenty of protein and other good whole foods, those 2,600 calories a day go toward building a baby, not making Mommy fat!  

Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • First, never starve yourself while pregnant. Hello? You're pregnant. You're gonna gain weight. And, it ain't gonna come off at delivery. Accept it now, or you'll make yourself crazy wondering why your prepregnant clothes don't fit 7 days postpartum. You're supposed to gain 25-35 lbs unless your doctor tells you otherwise.  I'm overweight, and "read" that I should only gain 20lbs. My doctor said "no! Now is not the time to watch your weight! 25-35, I'll tell you if there's a problem!" 

2nd nausea is mostly caused by hormones jacking with your hunger. If you're waking up nauseated, eat before bed. Try a light snack that'll stick with you. If you wake up in the middle of the night hungry, EAT!!! Your metabolism is through the roof. If you're constantly hungry, then you aren't eating enough. Believe it or not, your hunger stabilizes and goes through cycles right along with your baby. Eat whenever you're hungry. Just try to minimize the bowls of ice cream, and replace it with a bowl of high fiber cereal...side bene of helping you poop! 

• You should be eating six small meals not three large meals any way. It's healthier pregnant or not but especially while pregnant. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, bed. It's better for you and much better for baby not to mention you are less likely to gain extra weight that way (it's how you should eat while trying to loss weight too.)

Also sometimes hunger is a sign of dehydration so make sure you are drinking enough in the evening. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • imageFyreFlyeRush:

First, never starve yourself while pregnant. Hello? You're pregnant. You're gonna gain weight. And, it ain't gonna come off at delivery. Accept it now, or you'll make yourself crazy wondering why your prepregnant clothes don't fit 7 days postpartum. You're supposed to gain 25-35 lbs unless your doctor tells you otherwise.  I'm overweight, and "read" that I should only gain 20lbs. My doctor said "no! Now is not the time to watch your weight! 25-35, I'll tell you if there's a problem!" 

2nd nausea is mostly caused by hormones jacking with your hunger. If you're waking up nauseated, eat before bed. Try a light snack that'll stick with you. If you wake up in the middle of the night hungry, EAT!!! Your metabolism is through the roof. If you're constantly hungry, then you aren't eating enough. Believe it or not, your hunger stabilizes and goes through cycles right along with your baby. Eat whenever you're hungry. Just try to minimize the bowls of ice cream, and replace it with a bowl of high fiber cereal...side bene of helping you poop! 

I agree with this totally. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"