April 2012 Moms

Fed up with Baby Registry

My family wants to throw a baby shower for me and asked me to put together a registry.  I have a registry but have been buying items myself from it.  The reason why is because they want to have the shower for me in mid March and I am due in early April and knowing my families party planning skills, it may be pushed back to April or even after I have the baby.  I am also in the process of moving so I want to be settled in my new place, unpacked, and have the nursery set up before they plan to have the shower.    I feel selfish just asking for money and I do not like baby trinkets or non-functional items.  I was thinking of just asking for diapers for a year or baby clothing (requesting certain ppl to bring clothing months 0-3, 3-6 etc. so I don't end up with a bunch of newborn clothing).  Does anyone have ideas on what I can put on the registry so my family won't be offended that I bought most of the items myself? lol.  I really don't want to end up with stuff I don't need or make returns for duplicate items.  Thanks in advance. 

Re: Fed up with Baby Registry

• Put on the things you won't need or use until the baby is a few months old: high chair/feeding supplies, jumperoo/exersaucer, bumbo chair, 6-9 month clothes, etc etc
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If its going to be so late see if they would just throw a diaper party! SIL went to one and said it was a blast. I agree with PP too things like the highchair, walker, even teething rings. Is there a zoo or anything that is in the surrounding area that they could all chip in and buy you a family pass for a year? How about a daycare fund!
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageDevonPow:
    Put on the things you won't need or use until the baby is a few months old: high chair/feeding supplies, jumperoo/exersaucer, bumbo chair, 6-9 month clothes, etc etc

This and the clothing are all good ideas. I also keep realizing how much stuff I need for childproofing--I have way more outlets than I thought! Maybe if you go over some checklists of your home you will think of more safety stuff you need, but won't HAVE to get right away for the baby, like baby gates, cabinet ties/locks, a faucet cover for the tub, etc. You may have also not thought about all the things you will want for your diaper bag yet--a wetbag for soiled pants after leaky diapers, maybe a little first aid kit, a fold-out changing pad, small container for wipes, a small back-up blanket...maybe there should be a thread on here asking moms of 2+ what things they didn't need until later, or what they didn't realize they needed until after their showers.

• IMO it would be rude to specify what size clothing people should bring. I don't see how your family would be "offended" that you're buying things for YOUR baby. I would just take anything you can get, and deal with it after. People that have registries and don't buy things for themselves off of it, still get a ton of shiit they didn't "want".
  • imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:
    IMO it would be rude to specify what size clothing people should bring. I don't see how your family would be "offended" that you're buying things for YOUR baby. I would just take anything you can get, and deal with it after. People that have registries and don't buy things for themselves off of it, still get a ton of shiit they didn't "want".

Yup, my Mom, sister, and MIL all got me the big ticket registry items, but no one else bought off the registry.  I was able to return a few things, but most didn't have gift receipts.  I ended up buying almost everything myself.

The worst is when they buy something that's like an item you wanted, but not the exact thing.  For example, I registered for a Boppy but I got a Leachco pillow instead.  Or the person that got me a cheap, crotch-dangling Infantino carrier instead of the Moby I wanted.  You just have to take what you get with a smile and worry about it later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"