C-sections

Does anyone seriously hate their incision/scar?

I really think I have the world's worst scar.  I should preface this by saying that I was really tiny before I got pregnant and lost all my weight and then some after my first baby, but my scar still looks terrible.  It's jagged, prominent, and the worst part is that I have that horribly disgusting "divot" (I don't even know how to describe it) that makes it look super disgusting from a profile.  I know it's very whiny of me, but I would have seriously looked exactly the same or better after my first pregnancy if I didn't have the scar.  Now it's just getting worse with my current pregnancy and my bump looks crazy because of the divot.  Did anyone have a scar they hated that they were able to fix somehow? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does anyone seriously hate their incision/scar?

• Yeah, I do. I have serious scar envy. A friend of mine who had a c/s three months before me can barely see her scar - it's super thin and colorless. Mine is hypertrophic, yay. It's dark pink, over 6 inches long, and it kind of puffs out for about three inches along the middle part.

But whatever. No one but DH sees it and I kind of like to think of it as my battle scar. My scar is proof that I gave birth to my beautiful, healthy daughter despite all the issues we had during labor.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageskio:

Yeah, I do. I have serious scar envy. A friend of mine who had a c/s three months before me can barely see her scar - it's super thin and colorless. Mine is hypertrophic, yay. It's dark pink, over 6 inches long, and it kind of puffs out for about three inches along the middle part.

But whatever. No one but DH sees it and I kind of like to think of it as my battle scar. My scar is proof that I gave birth to my beautiful, healthy daughter despite all the issues we had during labor.

This. I'm a new mom so it hasn't started to fade yet, but I'm pretty proud of what it symbolizes and what we've accomplished.  

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, yes, yes.  I have a keloid scar and HATE the way it looks.  I also have the ugly "divot" that makes my profile horrid.  DH says I'm overreacting and he hardly notices it... which it is probably true that I am overreacting a little bit since no one sees down there anyway!

For my next c-section, my OB said she will refer me to a plastic surgeon a week after delivery to start getting injections at the scar site to minimize the risk of getting another keloid.  I hope the next one looks much better!!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageKSimone619:

Yes, yes, yes.  I have a keloid scar and HATE the way it looks.  I also have the ugly "divot" that makes my profile horrid.  DH says I'm overreacting and he hardly notices it... which it is probably true that I am overreacting a little bit since no one sees down there anyway!

For my next c-section, my OB said she will refer me to a plastic surgeon a week after delivery to start getting injections at the scar site to minimize the risk of getting another keloid.  I hope the next one looks much better!!! 

I have a keloid too and I hate it. It's so ugly. I'm hoping that next time around they cut this scar out and I'll be able to treat it so I don't get another keloid.

• I have a horrible scar.  DS is almost 4 and it is still pink, crooked and puffy.  I had an emergency c-sec, so they just needed to get him out and didn't care what it looked like.  I had a lap surgery in Oct. where they used my c-sec scar and now it has 2 divots like your were talking about.

Does it bother me?  Not really...only when I wear a bath suit and I feel like you could see it if you looked really hard.  I just consider it one of those things that has made me who I am today.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I shouldnt, but I do. Its very low, in the hairline in fact, and clean/strait. But its right perfectly where my Mommy pooch starts so no matter how much wt I loose in the future I am always going to have a pooch on my lower belly due to that friggin scar!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • I hate mine too.....Its red is pink and feels weird.... Plus I hate the pooch above it.... I knew Id have it but I thought Id be able to work off most of it... can I?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I HATE my scar!!! I was to have a planned csection, with a small 4 inch scar in my hairline. Not what I have!  I went into labor 3 weeks early and they wouldn't call my doctor in!! She had specifically told me to have them call her bc of DD brittle bone condition, but they refused!  Then they made me labor for 5 hours (after I had already been in labor for 8 hours at work) before I finally convinced them that it wasnt safe for me to have a natural birth, then the on call md finally took me to surgery. My scar is probably 4 inches above my hair line, 6 inches long, crooked and it still hurts! Oh yeah, I got a hernia after surgery too! 

Vent over.  I've decided I can't change it, so I'm rocking the scar and the dent this swim suit season!

On the positive note: DD was born without any breaks which is THE most important part!

• imageStephanie2167:
    imageKSimone619:

Yes, yes, yes.  I have a keloid scar and HATE the way it looks.  I also have the ugly "divot" that makes my profile horrid.  DH says I'm overreacting and he hardly notices it... which it is probably true that I am overreacting a little bit since no one sees down there anyway!

I have a keloid too and I hate it. It's so ugly. I'm hoping that next time around they cut this scar out and I'll be able to treat it so I don't get another keloid.

i had abdominal cerclage while pregnant and got a keliod scar and they cut it out during csection and did stroid injections it got puffy at first my son will be one next week and it consideribly less puffy now and is slowly but surly fading but is taking quite awhile. Not much help just saying it is getting better.

BabyName Ticker
  • With my first, my scar ended up being a keloid and it was sooo ugly.  It made me very self conscious!  When I got preg this time, I talked to my OB, knowing I had to have a RCS and he told me he could cut out the old scar and start over.

Well, I'm 4 weeks pp and my NEW scar looks AMAZING.  I am soo thrilled he was able to remove the old ugly scar and start fresh.  So far this one looks 10x better than the other one ever did!  

Talk with your doctor about having him/her remove your old scar while they do your c/s, it was pretty easy and took him about 5 minutes at the start of the surgery!  

• I hate my scar this time. I'm cut from hip to hip. It wasnt completely closed in some spots when my staples were removed a week later. Its got scans on it from closing up. Its just gross this time. But its only been a little over 2 weeks since my section. With my last section I used Bio Oil and Mederma on it and it really smoothed it out and could not see it at all. I think this time i'm going to get that C-remdey by Lily Padz. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersimage Photobucket
  • imageMommyMar2010:

With my first, my scar ended up being a keloid and it was sooo ugly.  It made me very self conscious!  When I got preg this time, I talked to my OB, knowing I had to have a RCS and he told me he could cut out the old scar and start over.

Well, I'm 4 weeks pp and my NEW scar looks AMAZING.  I am soo thrilled he was able to remove the old ugly scar and start fresh.  So far this one looks 10x better than the other one ever did!  

Talk with your doctor about having him/her remove your old scar while they do your c/s, it was pretty easy and took him about 5 minutes at the start of the surgery!  

That is fantastic!!  I really, really, really, really want to have a VBAC, but hopefully that would be an option if if it doesn't work out.   

• I had a terrible keloid from my c-sec.  It stayed red and raised and hard for about 2 years.  DS is 3 now and my scar is flat, smooth and pink. Its still visible from the front, but no longer visible in profile. I didn't do anything to it. It just happened over time.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• imagePinkLily1234:

I really hate mine.  I feel strongly that my c-section was unnecessary (may have become necessary, but at the time it was done it was unnecessary).  It is a constant reminder that I did not advocate for myself.  Not advocating for my own needs and wants is something I've struggled with my whole life and I hate having the physically reminder.  It's also raised on 1/2 of the scar, still numb 13 months later and itches like crazy.

My OB said it would be below the hairline, yet made the cut about 3 inches above my hairline. It wasn't an emergency situation, she had see my lady bits and knew where the hairline was, and really had no explanation for why she cut where she did instead of where she told me she would. 

I feel completely the same way!  Mine is super high, higher than most of my underwear and bikinis, and it's a constant reminder to me that I let the attending bully me into something that I felt was unnecessary at the time.  I'm not proud of it, I don't think it's attractive, and the only reminder of childbirth I need is my child.   

• between my two cs I have scarring that goes lengthwise from my belly button down quite a way. I had a seroma with my last that had to be closed using vacuum assisted closure, which left a very wide scar path, and a small seroma this time around that is still healing and must be packed daily. I am not thrilled with how the scars look, but I am thrilled with my boys and it is the sacrifice I made to have them! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"