Baby Showers

Display Shower Invite Wording

I know people disagree with me on this, but I don't like to open presents in front of everyone and I usually get really bored during that part of a shower anyway. So, for my shower I wanted more of an open-house/display shower where guests can bring their gifts unwrapped and display them on a table.  We will provide cards so people can identify which gift is theirs (if they want to).

My question is how to write the invites??  My three sisters are throwing me the shower, but asked me if I wanted anything specific.  This is really my only request, so I'm trying to give them ideas for invitation wordings instead of making them figure something out.

Has anyone seen anything cute and tactful???

I can only seem to find slightly rude/inappropriate ones, such as:

...please go green and do not wrap,
because all we do is throw away that crap...

...to spend more time with mommy-to-be,
please wrap gifts in cellophane for all to see...

I don't want to "mandate" that the gift needs to be wrapped only in clear cellophane or that no wrapping is allowed.  I know some people will still wrap their items, which is fine, but I'm not doing a big gift opening.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Display Shower Invite Wording

• I personally like to see the mother to be open my gift.  I put a lot of thought into that gift and I feel very proud when she opens it for all to see.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know people don't agree with the no opening gifts idea.  I want a more casual atmosphere where people can come and go, eat, mingle, and where I can actually spend time talking to people.  I plan on personally thanking them for coming to celebrate with me when they arrive and sending  thank you cards later.

I am merely asking if anyone has an idea for invite wording.  If you could respond to that, I would appreciate it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • We are planning a "Meet the baby" type gathering once we are home with our LO.  And at the bottom of the 'invite' it will simply say:

Your presence is present enough.

We are hoping to have a super casual gathering and I, too, do not want to open gifts in front of people...therefore, I think this is the only way to 'get around' that issue.

GL to you!!

edited: I realize that my comment doesn't really help you with your display type shower...but it is really hard to strongly encourage guests to do things without being a tad rude. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, you should get over your issues and open the gifts.  Part of the joy of giving a gift  is seeing a person's reaction.

I don't like being the center of  attention and having people wait for my reaction when I open their gift, a lot of people don't.  But you know what, it is part of being a gracious guest of honor.  If people are kind and generous enough to take time out of their day to buy, wrap and give me a gift, I can take a few seconds to plaster a smile on my face and say thank you. 

• The only way that I can see doing this is just be direct.

Don't try to be cute just simply say what you would say if you were taking to them directly.

" We are having a shower for Katie, and you all know she isn't really a fan of being on display.  So we thought that instead of making her uncomfortable, that we would display the gifts on a table for all to see.  This way instead of an hour of gift opening she would be free to visit with everyone in a more casual setting.  So we ask that you bring your gifts unwrapped or that you use cellophane so Katie can see the wonderful things you picked out for the little one. "

• Ita with the whole point of a shower is opening presents and unless it's local tradition, your guests are going to be confused/disappointed/upset that you're not doing it.  

However, if you're doing a traditional open house, don't register, don't mention gifts, and if anyone brings a present, open it as soon as they give it to you.  But I still think you're going to peeve people off/confuse them.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • So our time can be spent with the Mother-to-Be, Please bring gifts wrapped to see. Clear paper works fine ? Or wrap it in twine. We?ll put them on display in a most classy way!? 

?The adorable baby gifts will be put on display ? So no need to wrap in any way- a ribbon or twine will do just fine, leaving us free to visit and dine!

• I think that is a bit weird and you should open the presents.  It is part of showers and getting gifts!
  • imageKatieMarie27:

I want a more casual atmosphere where people can come and go, eat, mingle, and where I can actually spend time talking to people. 

A - you can still spend time talking to people, but B- the point of a shower is to "shower the mom to be w/ gifts".  As much as we want to pretend it isn't, THAT is what a shower is about.

As another poster said, it's actually being a gracious guest of honor and doing what your guests expect and many really do want you do to - open their gift in front of them.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageplaneprincess:

The only way that I can see doing this is just be direct.

" We are having a shower for Katie, and you all know she isn't really a fan of being on display.  So we thought that instead of making her uncomfortable, that we would display the gifts on a table for all to see. "

I still don't get why people have to walk on eggshells to give you a baby gift.

• I had a display shower for my baby shower in my hometown and the invitation simply said that you were invited to a "display shower honoring..."

Display showers are common in my hometown and are considered more formal than a shower where you open the gifts.  The local shops specialize in this and people will typically choose something off your registry and the shop will wrap it on a board with cellophane.  The shop will either put the person's name on a card or the gift giver will leave a 'calling card' to put on it and then the shop delivers all of the gifts to the shower.  

There are always people who bring the gift with them and typically hand it to the guest of honor who will comment on it/thank them and then set it out with the other gifts.  I really enjoy display showers since you have more time to actually interact with your guests.

TTC since August 2008 4 cycles Femara = BFN Dx PCOS February 2010, 1000 mg Metformin XR IUI #1: Dexamethasone + Femara + Ovidrel + Progesterone = BFN IUI #2: Dexamethasone + Femara + Ovidrel + Progesterone = BFP! Our son arrived January 17, 2011!
  • I think the only legitimate way to get away with a "no wrapped gifts" shower is if the mothers is very eco-conscious and everyone knows this about her. I have a friend like this and wouldn't dare wrap a gift for her and waste paper. But unless you are known in your circle for being super-green, this will not fly.

I might suggest having an "open house to celebrate mother-to-be" instead of a "baby shower". And mention no registry. Then, if guests come with gifts, greet them and open the gift right way and then have the hostess display it on a table.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Call it a Trousseau Tea and people will know that it's a display thing - they'll probably still wrap the gift but your hosts could spread the word that wrap is unnecessary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you don't want to be the center of attention, don't have a shower.  That is the point of a shower, all of the focus is on you and giving you/watching you open gifts as it is a party for you to shower you with gifts.  Giving people instructions on how to give you a gift is extremely rude.  As PP said, why should your guests have to walk on eggshells to do something nice for you.  Personally, wrapping the gift and watching someone open it is half of the fun for me, no matter what the occasion.

If you are so uncomfortable being in the spotlight, wait until the baby is born and have a Meet the Baby party.  Don't mention gifts on the invitation, although people will probably bring them and you won't be required to open them then and there, and none of the focus will be on you, all eyes will be on the baby.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageDO-JO:
    Call it a Trousseau Tea and people will know that it's a display thing - they'll probably still wrap the gift but your hosts could spread the word that wrap is unnecessary.

That would be REALLY regional.  If you sent out a "Trousseu Tea" invitation around here, people would be like WTF?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemommabear17:

imageDO-JO:
    Call it a Trousseau Tea and people will know that it's a display thing - they'll probably still wrap the gift but your hosts could spread the word that wrap is unnecessary.

That would be REALLY regional.  If you sent out a "Trousseu Tea" invitation around here, people would be like WTF?

Exactly.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Usually if you have to ask if there is a nontacky way that means that there really isn't but you are hoping that someone will tell you that its okay and to do it anyway.

People are going to spend time and money on you and your baby. Suck it up, put a smile on and unwrap your gifts. I  like the game idea that a PP had.  

• imageLiz4444:
    Nothing says class like using the word 'crap' on a baby shower invitation.

Yeah, no offense but I seriously do NOT think using the word crap on an invitation would be appropriate.  That would rub me the wrong way!!

• imagegirley75:

imageLiz4444:

Yeah, no offense but I seriously do NOT think using the word crap on an invitation would be appropriate.  That would rub me the wrong way!!

Ummm....Liz4444 was being sarcastic....So reading comprehension fail on your part.

• imageAdam&Eve07:
    imagegirley75:

imageLiz4444:

Ummm....Liz4444 was being sarcastic....So reading comprehension fail on your part.

I'm glad someone gets me, where have you been all of my life!  BTW, I love your siggy, I may have to start using that!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageLiz4444:
    imageAdam&Eve07:
    imagegirley75:

imageLiz4444:

I'm glad someone gets me, where have you been all of my life!  BTW, I love your siggy, I may have to start using that!

Do you want to be my Bump wife? Lol. I found my siggy pic looking for something else on Google. 

• imageAdam&Eve07:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageAdam&Eve07:
    imagegirley75:

imageLiz4444:

Do you want to be my Bump wife? Lol. I found my siggy pic looking for something else on Google. 

I'm going to need a virtual ring!

• imageLiz4444:
    imageAdam&Eve07:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageAdam&Eve07:
    imagegirley75:

imageLiz4444:

Will you be my Bump wife?

• imageAdam&Eve07:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageAdam&Eve07:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageAdam&Eve07:
    imagegirley75:

imageLiz4444:

Will you be my Bump wife?

The pic isn't showing up, but yes, I accept!  Yay, now I get to start planning my bump wedding!

• imageLiz4444:

The pic isn't showing up, but yes, I accept!  Yay, now I get to start planning my bump wedding!

Woo hoo!! I fixed the pic. Let me know if you want another ring!  

• imageAdam&Eve07:
    imageLiz4444:

I still can't see it!

• imageLiz4444:
    imageAdam&Eve07:
    imageLiz4444:

I still can't see it!

Better? 

• imagemullenem:

If you don't want to open the gifts people took the time and money to get you then don't have a shower.  Suck it up and open your gifts.  Any way to ask that people don't wrap your gifts so you don't have to open them is rude.  It's 45 minutes of your life, why make it a big deal?

What you can do is make a game for the gift giving time, like BINGO or set a timer and when it goes off, who ever's gift you are opening at that time gets a prize.  Or just do the gift opening while people are eating so there's something else going on. 

Seriously open the gifts! i like this game idea, since it bores you to open gifts

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think a display shower is a good idea, especially if it's not the done thing in your town.

At my shower we did food and mingling followed by some games and then we opened gifts while people ate their cupcakes. Plenty of people left right before or during the gift-opening part; they still were there for a good amount of time and got to mingle, but they weren't tortured by watching gifts be opened if they didn't want to be there. This still gives the people who love to see the gifts be opened an opportunity to stay and enjoy watching while they keep snacking and chatting. 

DD #1: 2012; MMC: 2014; DD #2: 2015; It's a boy! 3/31/2018

• imageKatieMarie27:

I know people don't agree with the no opening gifts idea.  I want a more casual atmosphere where people can come and go, eat, mingle, and where I can actually spend time talking to people.  I plan on personally thanking them for coming to celebrate with me when they arrive and sending  thank you cards later.

I am merely asking if anyone has an idea for invite wording.  If you could respond to that, I would appreciate it.

I don't have a specific idea for the wording, mainly because I think it's a ridiculous idea.  One of the ways to show appreciation for the gifts your guests give you at a shower is to open the gifts at the shower.  You typically give a public thank you at the shower and you follow it up by sending a written thank you as well.  So you want to eliminate one of the main purposes of the shower?  I can't get on board with that idea.  As PP mentioned, you could incorporate the gift opening with a game, such as gift bingo.  Then again, you really shouldn't be planning your shower so none of this should be your concern.  You should just show up and enjoy and be thankful for their generosity... There's more than enough time at your shower to mingle with guests and still be able to open the gifts.  Just suck it up and open them.  

If you're dead set against opening gifts in front of everyone, you could always just wait until the baby is born and most a meet the baby party.  Gifts aren't expected and if a guest chooses to bring a gift, they won't expect you to open it while they're there.

• imagehocus:

Are display showers common in your area? I find that most people dislike them unless there is a strong local tradition of doing them. If you dislike showers in general I'd say it might be better to skip having one rather than have one that leaves people disapointed.

As to wording If you google you'll get lots of options. I found these

The adorable baby gifts will be put on display ? So no need to wrap in any way- a ribbon or twine will do just fine, leaving us free to visit and dine!

It's time for Sally's Baby Shower
    And for us girls to have some fun,
    So we're trying something different
    And we hope that you can come...

Please wrap your gift in celophane
    or leave it unwrapped, you see,
    We'll have more time to socialize
    And visit with the mom-to-be...

Great wording suggestions.

OP, I can understand your thought process behind this, despite how people get so upset on here about it.  In fact, I'd thank you for sparing me hours of un-ending gift opening so we can catch up and mingle for longer. Gifts are still on display for to be ooh-ed and aah-ed over. My vote is for the first wording option above.

• imageDO-JO:

Seeing as the word "trousseau" means "the personal possessions of a bride - usually including clothes, accessories, and household linens and wares," I'm pretty sure that calling it a Trousseau Tea would just leave people really, really confused. A Trousseau Tea is done before a wedding. It's not a type of baby shower.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Katie,

I am in the same position as you. This is exactly what I want to do, and I am having the same dilemma.

All I'm reading are opinions on the idea of the shower instead of responding to your inquiry. Personally, I think everyone's showers should reflect their requests, and most of my family/friends will understand. Since I am unsure as to what I am doing  just yet, I will be in touch and let you know how me & my family approach it. Let me know how you make out as well.

I think my favorite so far is tracey0310 suggestion:

?The adorable baby gifts will be put on display ? So no need to wrap in any way- a ribbon or twine will do just fine, leaving us free to visit and dine!

• The above posts are a bit dramatic! It's your shower and your guests will enjoy it more if you are more comfortable and relaxed!!

Two wording options below- I think they are both great!

?So our time can be spent with the Mom-to-Be, Please bring gifts wrapped to see. Clear paper works fine ? Or wrap it in twine. We?ll put them on display in a most classy way!?

?The adorable baby gifts will be put on display ? So no need to wrap in any way- a ribbon or twine will do just fine, leaving us free to visit and dine! ? .

Good luck!!! Hope your shower is a blast!
  • imagemkmoran3:

The above posts are a bit dramatic! It's your shower and your guests will enjoy it more if you are more comfortable and relaxed!!

Two wording options below- I think they are both great!

?So our time can be spent with the Mom-to-Be, Please bring gifts wrapped to see. Clear paper works fine ? Or wrap it in twine. We?ll put them on display in a most classy way!?

?The adorable baby gifts will be put on display ? So no need to wrap in any way- a ribbon or twine will do just fine, leaving us free to visit and dine! ? .

Good luck!!! Hope your shower is a blast!

I would LOVE to see someone wrap one of the gifts TOTALLY in twine.  Do you know what twine is?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am curious as to how this went. It is my hope to be able to do the same. It is better for the enviornment not to wrap, and I will be able to spend more time with my family and friends. I am shocked at the negative comments towards this idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"