Northern California Babies
Options

Nursing Vent

I was nursing Hailey in my car in the Old Navy parking lot this morning, and an older lady (who had parked next to me) knocked on my window and told me to "Cover up because nobody wants to see that".  I wasn't using my nursing cover, but I just had my shirt lifted a little and Hailey was latched, so it wasn't as if my whole boob was hanging out. 

It was so rude, and I didn't really know how to respond.  I don't feel the need to cover up when I'm in my own car.  Should I be?  

Ugh.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nursing Vent

• Options

Um, that is terribly rude! You were in your car for goodness sake.

And, you have the law on your side. 

Don't let one lady's comments get to you. If you wanted, you could BF in the middle of ON.

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    Ahhh!!  I am SO PISSED OFF for you.  WOW.  I have no words...I seriously read your post with my mouth hanging open.  Please don't pay attention to that lady.  You are in YOUR CAR.  OMG...this makes me livid.  I am so so sorry that happened to you.  Like L said, you could have been BFing in the middle of ON, and she would have no right to say anything, so...in your car?!  Holy shiz.  Wow.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Glad you ladies agree with me.  I generally only cover up if I'm somewhere where I know people might be uncomfortable, but in my freaking car??? 
  • Options
    Um yeah...not cool.  I probably would have told her to go eff herself...
  • Options
    So rude!! Ditto Char.
  • Options
    WTF is wrong with that lady?!!?  I am also enraged for you.  I nurse in my car all the time, and do not cover up.  F her
  • Options
    Wow, it's amazing what issues BF seems to bring up for people.  To the point that she thought it was her place to accost you in your own car.  "No one wants to see that", but you were the one looking, lady!  And most people would be happy to see a baby enjoying being fed.  So bizarre.  Sad that she grew up in a time when women were so shamed for everything that she developed this level of spite for others.
  • Options
    I would have smiled and flipped her off. Ugh.
  • Options
    Jesus.  That's effing ridiculous.  

PM me for our family/baby blog

Haley Beth ~ March 3rd, 2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i would have popped out the other boobie and squirted milk at her
  • Options
    Seriously you were BF in your car you don't have to cover up.  I would have told her, if you don't want to see this then don't look inside MY car. 
  • Options
    What a crazy lady! I would have had choice words for her too!  I was not a fan of covering up and we nursed way longer than "people" deemed appropriate (especially since DS is huge and looked much older than his age).  Fun times.  Keep on keeping on. 
  • Options

Oh hell no! What a miserable old bag she must be to say something like that.

• Options

Not ok. I try to cover up as well, though never in the car, but sometimes I can't because the only way shell nurse is all out in the open. I'm pretty sure half of San Jose has seen my tatas but who cares. 

Im really sorry you had to. Hear such a rude comment.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Seriously angry for you.  I would have given her a peace of my mind for sure.  What is it with crazy people and their hangups about breastfeeding.  Gets me stabby.
  • Options
    Seriously thank you ladies.  I was second guessing myself. 
  • Options

imagealibee09:
    I would have smiled and flipped her off. Ugh.

Me too!

How effing rude. I hate people sometimes. 

• Options

That's very very bold of her and beyond rude.

Although I covered up constantly, that was because it was what I was comfortable with, not because anyone else should.

How "older" was this lady? Like decade-wise?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imagesecretkeeper321:

Although I covered up constantly, that was because it was what I was comfortable with, not because anyone else should.

I'd guess she was in her mid-60's.

• Options

Wow that is really rude of her! I agree with everyone else in your car you shouldn't need to cover up at all. No needs to be looking into your car at ALL!

Was this woman the driver? If so that means she walked around the car to say that to you. F-ed up!

• Options
    imageMrs.Wright07:
    imagesecretkeeper321:

I'd guess she was in her mid-60's.

Dude....that means she was in her teens/twenties in the 60s/70s....um, and breastfeeding in a car in a parking lot set her off?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    You don't need to be covered up anywhere.  You have a right to feed your child in public.  I hope you gave her the finger :)
  • Options

What a miserable old hag!! That is beyond ridiculous to actually say that while you are IN your car.. really anywhere would have been horrible but being in your car makes it beyond ridiculous.

Next time, give them the finger for sure!

Susanne Ashby PhotographyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OMG..what a witch.  Seriously..that pisses me off!  I probably would have flown off the handle....I'm sorry you had to deal with that!  
  • Options

i would killed for the chance to be able to nurse my child PERIOD .... any vents about what others think.. just be thankful that you CAN do that for your child.  there are those of us out there who desparately wanted to but couldn't.

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    imagepink.dutch.tulips:

i would killed for the chance to be able to nurse my child PERIOD .... any vents about what others think.. just be thankful that you CAN do that for your child.  there are those of us out there who desparately wanted to but couldn't.

Wow. I'm pretty sure she is thankful she can. Nothing in her post says otherwise.

• Options
    imageSJBride05:
    imagepink.dutch.tulips:

Wow. I'm pretty sure she is thankful she can. Nothing in her post says otherwise.

from the pp about being enraged, i think this board takes nursing for granted thinking that w/ some work EVERYONE can nurse. if some older lady made comments to me about it, i'd ignore her and not even mention it. 

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

• Options
    imagepink.dutch.tulips:
    imageSJBride05:
    imagepink.dutch.tulips:

from the pp about being enraged, i think this board takes nursing for granted thinking that w/ some work EVERYONE can nurse. if some older lady made comments to me about it, i'd ignore her and not even mention it. 

So because there are people who have strong opinions about this situation (myself included) we're taking BFing for granted?  Not only is that furthest from the truth, but I also don't see the logic in your thinking at all.

Also I feel like this is more of a vent about people not being educated about the laws that protect nursing mothers rather than venting about her experience BFing.

• Options
    imageSJBride05:
    imagepink.dutch.tulips:
    imageSJBride05:
    imagepink.dutch.tulips:

So because there are people who have strong opinions about this situation (myself included) we're taking BFing for granted?  Not only is that furthest from the truth, but I also don't see the logic in your thinking at all.

Also I feel like this is more of a vent about people not being educated about the laws that protect nursing mothers rather than venting about her experience BFing.

I agree with Char.  100%.  I just don't understand how you equate people being upset with the situation she faced to taking breastfeeding for granted.  Makes no sense. 

• Options
    imageSportyMrs.23:
    imageSJBride05:
    imagepink.dutch.tulips:
    imageSJBride05:
    imagepink.dutch.tulips:

I agree with Char.  100%.  I just don't understand how you equate people being upset with the situation she faced to taking breastfeeding for granted.  Makes no sense. 

since you both were able to bf for an extended amt of time, you wouldn't understand the pov from someone who couldn't. the mere fact that she CAN bf .. who cares what others think if they see her doing it in public. that's what i'm getting at. 

• Options

I don't even know how to respond to that because it's just a ridiculous assumption.

It's like saying if you were venting about having a bad day with your kid, then that must mean you don't value being a mother.

• Options
    I'm late to the whole game, but holy hell that lady was rude to you.  You were in your car, feeding your kid.  I'm with a&o's mom- shoulda whipped the other one and squirted it at her.  What a moron. 

you are 100% in the right to feed your child whenever and wherever you feel comfortable.  Good for you!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageLexi & Orion's Mommy:
    i would have popped out the other boobie and squirted milk at her

tehe.

I hate that anyone would be judgmental over feeding your baby - insane! GRRR

• Options
    imagepink.dutch.tulips:

As Char pointed out, nothing in my post said that I'm not thankful that I can nurse my child.  I'm extremely grateful that I'm able to do it, but it doesn't mean that I don't have the right to be offended when people go out of their way to be rude to me. 

• Options
    Wow! Some people are SO rude! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"