Pre-School and Daycare

Hand foot and mouth disease?

I got a call from my daughters school and they said that i had to pick her up because she had hand foot and mouth disease. This was the third outbreak at my daughters school!  How the hell do you even get that?

She has been home all week! She has blisters on her face and on her tushy! She also has diarreah! I feel like crying because she is so uncomfortable!

Has this happened to anyone elses child?

-->

Re: Hand foot and mouth disease?

• My daughter has never had it but my cousin's son did a year or two ago.  She mentioned that he'd ran a temp and had blisters/sores near his mouth.  He had a course of antibiotics to run through but recovered fine and rather quickly.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • oh poor girl :(

If I'm remembering correctly, it's just a virus...and it's pretty common in childhood! DD2 had it earlier this year. I *think* DD1 may of gotten it as well, just not as bad and no blisters...it was going around in her classroom. DD2 had a fever for a couple days, diarrhea for about a week. She also had the blisters in her mouth, but it was over pretty quickly and she didn't seem that uncomfortable by it.

I hope your DD feels better soon!

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Loading the player...
  • It is VERY common.  I work in a DC and we see it about twice a year.  It is a virus so it has to run its course, so I believe there is no meds(may have changed).  It spread by contact.  A child that has it drools on a toy, puts fingers in mouth touches a toy or object then another child does the same.  Make sure your child is getting plenty of fluids(freezer pops are popular cause it feels good on the blisters in their mouths).  Pain Meds(tylenol) will help with temp and pain.  I would ask your school what their policy is for returning to school with HFM.  Good Luck and I hope this illness runs its course FAST!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS#1 had it a year or so ago and was miserable.  My pediatrician told us to mix half a teaspoon of Mylanta and half of teaspoon of bendaryl for mouth pain.  You can then coat the inside of her mouth with a cotton swab and this solution (obviously, check with your doctor first for the ok!).  I didn't think it would work but he complained a lot less about his mouth hurting after we tried it.  Also, popsicles, yogurt or anything cold is good.  Try to stay away from any spicy or salty foods.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • ugh, that would be even worse with an older child.  DS1 had both strains so he had it twice.  It is the worst.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD2 just had this last week.  I have no idea where she got it as she has 0 exposure to other kids and DD1 did not have it (nor did anyone in her preschool class).
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"