Pre-School and Daycare

Overly shy??

Let me preface this by saying DH and I aren't terribly social beings and DH was horribly shy as a kid.  To the point it would prevent him from doing a lot of things.  We're starting to see that in DD.  She's 3.5 and has been in the same school since she was a baby.  Largely with the same group of kids.  We started noticing this year when she moved up to the preschool class that she almost always plays by herself.  If we pop in to observe, she's hanging back not participating in things.  Outside of the circle at circle time, reading books alone during free play, etc.  When at home, she does great with other kids in a more quiet situation.  Even kids she's never met before.  My BFF's daughter is her age and we see them about every other month and DD does amazing with her friend.  So I know she's able to make friends.  She's in gymnastics class and does great with the kids there too.  Yet, she still hangs back.  Last night was dc's holiday concert and although she stood up there with her class, she didn't sing a single word.  Later, she said she was scared.  I'm assuming by that she means shy, but I feel terrible that she's now holding back everywhere it seems from participating in activities we know she would enjoy.  I don't see any other red flags developmentally.  Any thoughts on how we can get her better involved and more comfortable in a setting other then quiet on the homestead?

TIA!

Re: Overly shy??

• some kids are just shy - and especially kids of shy parents - its just in our DNA.  I would praise DD to high heaven every time she makes an effort, and even if all she did was stand with her class, I'd make a big deal about that.  At DD's last concert, she RAN to me and wouldn't even sit w/ me w/ her class.  I would also try to address it in your own life and try to be a little less reticient yourself and even narrate what you're doing for LO.  "I feel a little funny asking that lady I don't know a question, but I really want to pet her dog, so I'm going to go say hello to her and ask if I can pet the dog, do you want to come with me DD?" somethng along those lines.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My kids are really shy too. It seems like they are getting better as they get older, but still have a hard time in some sitatuons. My midddle son started preschool last spring & would not talk too anyone & would only whisper to his teachers (but then again he started going for speech). At his first concert at the end of school he stood up with the other kids but would not do anything. And he was shaking when he came to sit with us after. He was definitely scared. But we are so proud of him for trying. This year he participates and talks to his classmates much more than last year!
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS is very shy as well, although he is impressing us more and more lately with his talking to other kids and trying new things. However, I also think he will be a kid who has a couple close friends rather than a bunch of friends. But I am ok with that. It's just a personailty type. I will continue to encourage him to branch out a bit, but I find that the more I push him, the bigger a deal it seems to him and the more hesitant he becomes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"