Pregnant after a Loss

BFP but low progesterone? **UPDATE WITH MORE INFO**

Hi ladies,

I am 10 DPO and today I recieved my BFP. I went in for bloodwork today and while my HCG levels are a solid 30, my progesterone level was only 5. The nurse told me my doctor is concerned I may have another m/c. I was hoping if anyone had a similar experiance they could share their story with me. I am devastated right now.

Thank you.

**Update on Information**

I felt I should add more information since originally I had to post and run. My last M/C was in October. Initially when they did my bloodwork it showed low progesterone levels. I believe it was a 3. I was started on supplements, but three days later I miscarried.

When the nurse called this time she told me my doctor wanted to wait to try supplements until I had my levels checked again on Monday. After hanging up with the nurse I decided I didn't want to just wait to see what happens. I've called back and am waiting on them to return my call. I know my HCG is rising because yesterday the test was negative. I would rather try everything to keep this baby than to feel like I didn't do enough. Thanks for your time and answers!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BFP but low progesterone? **UPDATE WITH MORE INFO**

• Are they going to give you supplements, if they haven't said anything you need to ask them.  Prometrium is pretty common and can be used as a pill or a vaginal suppository.Good luck and T's and P's..
  • Congratulations on your BFP! My levels at 10DPO with this pregnancy were 21, so yours look great! My doctor never told me my progesterone level, they measured it, but prescribed a progesterone supplement before I went to the lab and instructed me to take them the evening after the blood draw without knowing the results. Ask you doctor to place you on supplements ASAP. Many women have progesterone defects and that is the simple cause of their miscarriages, and some doctors don't think that supplements work. Either was supplementation doesn't hurt and possibly helps, so why not?

Married August 9, 2008
    TTC Since September 2009

1st   BFP | EDD 10/23/10 | Natural M/C 03/27/10 | 10w 0d
    2nd BFP 06/26/10 | EDD 02/25/11 | Natural  M/C 07/17/10 | 8w 1d
    3rd  BFP 12/17/10 | EDD 08/24/11 | Natural M/C 12/31/10 | 7w 4d
    4th  BFP 06/22/11 | EDD 02/25/12 | M/C D&C on 07/27/11 | 9w4d
    5th  BFP 09/17/11 | DD Paige Lily born 05/16/12
    6th  BFP 08/11/12 | EDD 04/11/13 | CP
    7th  BFP 09/29/13 | EDD 06/04/14 | Natural M/C 10/27/13 | 8w1d
    8th  BFP 12/16/13 | EDD 09/01/14

DX: Pericentric Inversion of Chromosome 8 & compound heterozygous for MTHFR mutations
    RX: Lovenox/Heparin & Folgard

• Loading the player...
  • imagepottermommy:
    Are they going to give you supplements, if they haven't said anything you need to ask them.  Prometrium is pretty common and can be used as a pill or a vaginal suppository.Good luck and T's and P's..

This. Talk to them about getting supplements. Low progesterone can be treated.  

BFP 7/27/10, no hb discovered 9/3/10, natural m/c 9/17/10
    BFP #2- 2/1/11,bleeding- 2/6/11, natural m/c @ 5wks
    BFP #3- 4/29/11 - DS born 12/31/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    TTCAL buddies with LilMaggs and psumel13
  • Originally, my numbers were the following:

HCG-19, Prog. 8

HCG-45, Prog 9.7

They ended up giving me a progesterone supplement and so far everything is looking good.  Are they planning on giving you a prescription?

Our baby boy,Logan, was born still at 19w3d on 7/1/2011
    Our 2nd baby boy, Mason, was born still at 20w3d on 1/31/2012

After a much needed sanity break... we are praying for our rainbows

((BFP 7/29/13))  ((EDD 4/12/14))  It's BOY/GIRL twins!!!

• They never mentioned my progesterone levels when I had my beta draws...but I wanted you to know I am sending you T&Ps!
    Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.
  • I agree with all of the above. My progesterone was also a little low so they put me on the supplements. I haven't had it tested again since I started them but am hoping they are doing their magic.

• REPLY TO UPDATE***

I agree with you, I don't think you should wait and see if it will work itself out.  I think you should start taking them now.  A M/C sadly can not be stopped once it is happening but you can take the progesterone and at least know you have done the only thing you can!

I think you made a good choice.

• I was in a very similar situation.

In May I got a BFP and had my betas taken later that day. That night I started bleeding. The next day I was told my HCG was 4 and my progesterone was 2.5. It was never suggested that I take supplements and after week long roller coaster ride I finally miscarried.

In September I got this BFP and also had my betas taken the same day. My HCG was 17 but my progesterone was only 6. My OB started me on 200mg oral prometrium but said it wasn't likely to do anything. I never had any bleeding or spotting but was sure it was because the progesterone was stalling a m/c. At 6w 6w we saw a heartbeat and I was completely shocked. I took the progesterone until 14w. So far everything is going great but I'm convinced that the supplements saved this baby.

If you've had low progesterone two pregnancies in a row hopefully the progeterone issue is with you and the supplements will do the trick. I'd demand progesterone and if an OB refused to give it to me I'd find a new one.

• imagesabrina69barnes:

I was in a very similar situation.

In May I got a BFP and had my betas taken later that day. That night I started bleeding. The next day I was told my HCG was 4 and my progesterone was 2.5. It was never suggested that I take supplements and after week long roller coaster ride I finally miscarried.

In September I got this BFP and also had my betas taken the same day. My HCG was 17 but my progesterone was only 6. My OB started me on 200mg oral prometrium but said it wasn't likely to do anything. I never had any bleeding or spotting but was sure it was because the progesterone was stalling a m/c. At 6w 6w we saw a heartbeat and I was completely shocked. I took the progesterone until 14w. So far everything is going great but I'm convinced that the supplements saved this baby.

If you've had low progesterone two pregnancies in a row hopefully the progeterone issue is with you and the supplements will do the trick. I'd demand progesterone and if an OB refused to give it to me I'd find a new one.

Thank you for your story, it gives me hope. Did you have any follow up blood work done?

• I too am on progesterone supplements, once a day 200 mg of Prometrium vaginally.  I was never told my levels but I had to ask for the test...from what I have learned not all OBs check unless there is an issue.  Get some meds!  And, good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

PAL/PGAL WelcomeBabyFetus Ticker

• imagerainyday31:
    imagesabrina69barnes:

I was in a very similar situation.

Thank you for your story, it gives me hope. Did you have any follow up blood work done?

I had my HCG done again and it more than doubled but never had my progesterone checked again. I know not all progesterone supplements will show up on a blood test.

I know it's scary right now. I spent nights in bed just crying because I was sure I was going to lose this LO but I didn't. I asked for similar stories on the tri boards and got several with similar numbers. I also googled "low progesterone success stories" and found a website full of stories like mine. It was so wonderful to hear stories of women who had been exactly where I was and got their take home babies when my OB wasn't being very optimistic.

• Congrats on the BFP!  Hopefully they listen to your concerns and get your Prog. levels figured out sooner rather than later.  *hugs*
    BFP #1 9-15-11; EDD 5-28-12. US 6w2d, growth

BFP #2 12-6-11 and 12-7-11; EDD 8-17-12. US 6w6d measuring 5w6d. Misoprostol Assisted m/c 1-16-12 at 9w3d.

<a href="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n56/katharine25/?action=view

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"