3rd Trimester

When does dr start checking baby's position?

Hi Ladies,

Just wondering at how many week does the dr. start feeling for what position the baby is in?  I know the baby can move quite a bit between now and delivery, but I'm just curious.  Thanks Smile

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: When does dr start checking baby's position?

• My doctor is checking today! 

Married my best friend 5/2/2008
    TTC our first miracle since November 2010
    BFP 3/16/2011 Chemical Pregnancy 3/20/2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • When I went for my 32 week appointment, he pointed out to me that she was head-down as she should be. He even helped distinguish what parts were what (back, butt) when I felt her. He might've checked before but never mentioned anything... I'm not sure.

HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • When I went for my 32 week appointment, he pointed out to me that she was head-down as she should be. He even helped distinguish what parts were what (back, butt) when I felt her. He might've checked before but never mentioned anything... I'm not sure what's standard practice in regards to timing.

HTH!

• Well they can usually tell when they do the internals. my girl is head down with her but under my right ribs and her feet under my left ribs.
  • My doc said they would check at 36 weeks.
  • I asked at 29 weeks but she said the baby isn't big enough to really distinguish the butt from the head yet. 
    <3 Baby #1 BFP 6/10/2011-EDD 2/19/2012-DS Born 2/10/2012!
    :'(  CP BFP 1/6/2013-EDD 9/19/2013-CP 1/9/2013
    <3 Baby #2 BFP 1/3/2014-EDD 9/12/2014 -DD Born 9/10/2014!
    <3 Baby #3 BFP 7/8/2018-EDD 3/17/2019-Team Green!

• By mid-20s for me.  It's never seemed hard or like a big deal- they kind of know by heartbeat because it's clearest through the back, and the curve of the back is generally easy to feel, and they always follow it down and give the head a grope.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageScott and Stephanie:

When I went for my 32 week appointment, he pointed out to me that she was head-down as she should be. He even helped distinguish what parts were what (back, butt) when I felt her. He might've checked before but never mentioned anything... I'm not sure.

HTH!

I want my Dr to do this! I need to ask at my next appt!

• imageSweetest116:
    I asked at 29 weeks but she said the baby isn't big enough to really distinguish the butt from the head yet. 

Really? That's so odd. My massage practitioner (who is also an assistant midwife) was able to tell my LO's position at ~26wks.

My OB's been checking at the last several appointments, but hasn't actually TOLD me the LO's position; I'll have to ask today. :)

---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mine just checked this morning at my 32! She said she was pretty sure it was head down but the baby would have to get a bit bigger to confirm, if they aren't positive by 34/36 weeks I'll need another ultrasound.
  • My doctor starts at 35 weeks with a vagina exam. She actually was able to feel that his head was down. Crazy!
  • It was shortly after 30 weeks, they could feel by pressing on my stomach where the baby was positioned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My dr will not start to check for stuff like that until my weekly appointments start which is next week.  I will be 36 weeks and start going every week.  I will have my first internal exam next Tuesday.
  • My doctor will start checking at 32 weeks appointment.  

I was seeing a perinatologist, so with ultrasound, we saw the baby was head down at 27 weeks, and he/she became breech by 29 weeks...  I knew the baby became breech before the ultrasound, though.  I felt his/her head right under my ribcage, just like my son's was.  The baby is still breech, so if he/she stays that way at 32 weeks, I'm going to the acupuncturist.

m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine did at 27 weeks and then again today at 30 weeks.  He is now head down although a little off center.

• My doctor checked at 32 weeks because I asked. He was breeched. He turned by my 34 weeks appt and is still head down.
  • I just got back from my appt (27w) and she felt for the baby and told me that he was head down. So I guess while she was checking his position he was punching me in the bladder, not kicking like I thought. haha
  • I havent been checked yet, will probably ask at my 39 week appointment.
  • They could tell at my 30 week checkup she was head down.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"