Natural Birth

Switching from OB to Midwife

I'm wondering if anyone here started their pregnancy with an OB, but then switched to a midwife at some point.  If you did this, when did you switch?  This is my first pregnancy, and I want to have as natural a birth as possible.  I currently have my first pregnancy appt with my OB scheduled just before the 10 week mark.  The appt includes an ultrasound, and if everything appears to be going okay, I was thinking about switching to a midwife after that.  Does this sound like a good idea?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Switching from OB to Midwife

• I have a m/w and a backup m/w (in case of hospitalization), who works in an OB's office. I think the primary m/w is much more personable than the OB office. I go to both so I can get the 20wk u/s, the glucose test, the blood tests, etc, but otherwise stick to my CPM. (The state of KY doesn't "allow" CPM's to practice, so anything medical must be handled through an OB's office.)

If you feel you need that reassurance, go to your first appt with your OB and when you get home, start interviewing potential m/w's, talk to your DH, your ins carrier, etc, and decide what's best for you. 

imageimage ~PgAL/PAL welcome~ image
  • For my VBAC I switched from one midwife group to another one at 24w, after my anatomy scan.  Kind of the same reasoning as you, I wanted to make sure I was low-risk since the new hospital didn't have the same level of NICU as my old practice with the OBs.  However, I went to a midwife group that delivered in a hospital and had GD, but they were fully equipped to do everything that needed to be done in that regard.
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This is what I did too.  I was high risk for #1 so I wanted to make sure I didn't have the same risk with my old OB first (familiar w/ my history).  I've now switched to a MW group since I got the ok.  I will still deliver at the same hospital as I would have with my OB so that helped.  

image   image

• I switched at 30 weeks because I was on the fence about whether I wanted natural in the hospital or home birth.  I had a friend switch at 39 weeks because her ON wanted to induce her and basically threatened her if she wouldn't do it.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• I switched when I was 28 weeks, but I actually really liked my OB. She only had rights at a teaching hospital with a high intervention rate so I switched to a birthing center inside of another hospital with a MW.

I did have a scare when I switched- between the time I made my appointment and when I actually met my MW my insurance company (BCBS) decided they wouldn't cover MW deliveries. During the rest of my pregnancy they changed their policy from no MW coverage at all, then the MW could do most of the delivery as long as an OB caught the baby, to finally (two weeks before DD was born!) it being ok for the MW to be in charge. I think they still ended up billing it under an OB's name just to ensure I'd be covered.

I'm happy with my decision (even switching pretty late) since my MW did a great job helping me have a natural birth & I owe her for barely tearing, but it was stressful not knowing if my MW could be there with me to the end.

Married since 09.06.08
    2012 Book Challenge: 20 of 50
    Sophia Leigh has arrived! 02.09.11
  • Yes.  I switched around 30 weeks, and I have a friend who switched at 35 weeks.  For my second pregnancy I saw the midwife the whole way through.  Best decision I ever made!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, I switched to a midwife at 10 weeks.

• great question, I was wondering this too!  I really love my OB and want to kind of feel him out on natural birth issues before switching. Obviously if I choose the birth center I will have to switch.  Too many decisions to make....
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • I had my last appointment with my OB at 12 weeks and my first with the MW at 16 weeks. I would have switched earlier but at one of my ultrasounds the OB saw potential complications so I stuck with her until we got it figured out. Turns out nothing at all was wrong and now I'm extremely happy with my birth center =]
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a really hard time finding a Midwife practice that was still accepting new patients, so I started out with my family doctor. I contacted MWs starting at 4.5 weeks (right after I had my BFP!) but I didn't hear back from anyone till 15 weeks. I was with my family doctor (there was an OB in her group practice who would have taken the delivery), and then switched to my Midwife at 15 weeks.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • That's about when I switched.  For my birthing center I had to do a tour and there was a wait so I didn't get my first appointment right away ... so if you are thinking about switching book in advance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all of the replies!  I think I will call to set up the appointment with the midwife now, just in case there is a long wait.  As long as the OB appt goes well, I'll start seeing the midwife after that.  For those that switched to a midwife, did you tell the OB during your appt, or did you call up later and let the receptionist know?  I really like my OB, I just want to deliver at a different hospital, and with a midwife.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wanted to tell my OB in person, because I really liked her, but my last 2 appointments I saw the PA, so I ended up telling her instead.  Luckily, she said that since everything was looking good and I was low risk that I was a perfect candidate for home birth.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"