School-Aged Children

Elf on the shelf and santa questions from a rookie...

1.  When did your child(ren) discover the truth about Santa?

2.  Did they puzzle it out for themselves, hear it from a classmate with an older sibling, some combo, etc?

3.  If you did Elf on the Shelf - did they figure out that the elf was fake and extrapolate to santa from there?  (DH thinks that having an Elf on the Shelf will tip the Santa hand faster because it won't take long for them to figure out that it's obviously a doll)

4.  If you have older siblings in the house how did you (or did you?) navigate the whole "please don't clue in your younger siblings" piece of the puzzle? 

Just trying to figure all of this Santa stuff out!

TIA 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: Elf on the shelf and santa questions from a rookie...

• J is 6 1/2 and is starting to get clued in.  We did Elf on the Shelf last year but our Elf will be staying tucked away this year as I'm afraid it will give it away.  We're also being extra careful about anything we say/do to tip him off.  He's inquistivie and will pick up on the slightest things.

I have a feeling this may be our last year of him really believing, which makes me sad. 

• My boys are 5.5y and still fully believing in Santa and the Elf on the Shelf.  It makes me sad that they only have a few years left of believing. Sad
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Dr. Brazelton was once asked by a parent at what age the parent should tell the child the truth about Santa.  His answer?  "Never."  If a child wants to believe, nothing is going to stop them from believing.  If they are ready to acknowledge the truth, the truth will out and there's nothing a parent can do to stop the child from figuring out that Santa = Mom and Dad.

So, do whatever Santa traditions you think are appropriate (elf on the shelf, different "Santa" wrapping paper, leaving cookie crumbs behind, etc.) Live it up, and don't worry about them "figuring out" the truth.  

True story:  My DD is as scientific and rational an 11 year old as you could imagine.  She still believes in Santa.  She knows she's one of the only kids in her grade who still believes.  She doesn't care.  In fact, she told me that she thinks most kids only SAY they don't believe out of bravado.  She told me she has "scientific evidence" that Santa exists, and cited the fact that Santa uses different wrapping paper.  She claims there's no way I could have a hidden stash of wrapping paper without her knowing about it.  Meanwhile, I've TOTALLY purchased the "Santa" paper right under her nose.  She is just determined to continue believing. 

If she ever acknowledges that is aware of the truth while her little brother is still a true believer, I will say, "Excellent!  Welcome to the REAL fun! Now you get to be a part of the fun of keeping the tradition alive for your brother."  

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I have in the past gotten some huge flaming for this but I never started the tradition of Santa with my children.

The "explanation" is that Christmas and our Christian beliefs are that we are to be loving, giving, tolerant and peaceful.  At Christmastime we really focus on those beliefs and Santa represents the good feelings of kindness and charity.  Some people dress as Santa to help remind everyone of those things.

No we don't do toothfairy or easter bunny either.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD has a friend who stopped believing in 2nd grade. 

I have other friends with children who are in 6th grade and still believe.

It really all depends on the kid.

I will say, I think this year dd is trying really hard to believe.  I see doubts :(

• 1.  Not yet.  DD is 6 and in 1st grade.

2.  NA

3.  No but I have forgot to move it before and they exclaimed, he lost his magic!

4.  NA but I like some of the suggestions above 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ****lurking****

1.  I have 3 children, the oldest is an 11 year old boy.  He tells me he still believes in Santa.  I LOVE this!  I thought last year was the last year that I would be able to enjoy a childhood Christmas through his eyes with him still believing in the "magic" of Christmas.

2.  N/A...When the time comes there is a wonderful letter that I want to read to my children about whether or not Santa is real.  I found this on pinterest and it sums up what I truly believe about Santa Claus.

https://www.cozi.com/live-simply/truth-about-santa

3.  We introduced Elf on the Shelf this year and I knew this was going to give Santa away to my oldest, so far it hasn't.  Santa in our home brings the big gift (wrapped in different paper if small or put together if it is something like a bike or dollhouse, but with a pretty bow), fills the stockings and those gifts are wrapped with tissue paper, he eats the goodies and drinks the milk.  We also leave carrots outside, which I use my grate off small pieces to make it look like the reindeer ate them.

4. I haven't gotten to this stage yet, but I'm just going to wing it and tell him that he has graduated to being one of Santa's (mom's) elves and help with picking out stocking stuffers and wrapping.  

• Our older kids  (oldest is about to be 12, 10, 9, and 7) all still believe. We are starting elf on the shelf this year. I am partially fearful, that it will alert my DD (the oldest) that Santa is not real, but if that occurs I think I will have her help with the elf on the shelf for the younger kids as a way to help pull her back in to the fun of Christmas.
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"