TTC After a Loss
Options

Anyone have fibroids or a cyst?

I've been having extreme pain (especially when I ovulate and also starting about a week before AF begins) with cramping and like a "burning" uterus feeling mostly on my left side.  I called my doc and told her what was going on and she wants me to come in right away for an ultrasound as she thinks it might be fibroids or a cyst.

Of course I'm nervous and just trying to stay calm and hope for the best, but does anyone have one (or both) of these things?  How were you treated for them?

FYI- I'm on CD3 after 1 cycle TTCAL and had an early mc/cp in October. We're TTA this month due to an already planned/paid for vacation in early Sept.

Thanks so much! 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

Re: Anyone have fibroids or a cyst?

• Options

I have fibroids, but they don't hurt, and they don't seem to prevent me from getting pregnant or staying pregnant. I didn't even know I had them until this recent lost pregnancy when I had my first ultrasound. According to my doctor, unless they cause pain or other issues, it's more a "wait and see" approach with fibroids.

I had an ovarian cyst for the first time in my life in September, and it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I was in so much pain I was nauseated. The nurse practitioner in my doctor's office joked, "Well, at least you know you ovulate." I haven't had one since, and I'm hoping it stays that way.

• Options
    I had an ovarian cyst rupture/burst in the middle of the night one time and almost called an ambulance it hurt so bad!!!!!  I hope you feel better!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Here's my experience with both, FWIW:

I have three uterine fibroids which cause no pain/complications.  I know that they can cause complications if they are large or in the wrong place (a friend of mine has an orange-sized fibroid that is preventing her from conceiving, and my sister has problems with excessive menstrual bleeding because of hers), but I have never heard of them hurting.  My doctor had mine monitored for awhile to make sure they were not growing, but they've been the same size for years.  

I had an ovarian cyst several years ago, before I was TTC.  I didn't know I had it until I had severe cramping one morning and later lost consciousness. Apparently the cyst had burst and I was bleeding internally.  I spent the night in the hospital to see whether the bleeding would eventually stop on its own, which it did. If it hadn't they would have gone it to cauterize it.  Ovarian cysts as I understand it are just normal zones on the ovary where an egg tries to release, but instead it is maintained cycle after cycle (usually sustained by high levels of estrogen) until they (sometimes) burst. I had never heard of ovarian cysts prior to this, and have never had one since.  But I know they are very common.  I'm not sure of the treatment since mine burst on its own.  I know that my experience in having the bleeding and hospitalization is not the usual, it is usually much less dramatic.

That's all I know! Best of luck to you.  I'm no doctor, but I think that, because they are so common, fibroids/cysts are probably a very treatable problem.  I hope you don't worry yourself too much :)!!!  Hope they figure it out for you soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had/have fibroids (had 6 removed in 2007) and 2 have decided to come back!  I have no real pain other then the occasional off the hook menstral cramps and a pretty heavy flow!  The only reason I know I had them in 2007 was in the morning the largest one would stick out my side a little before I went to the restroom!  My bladder must have pushed it up!  I, like an idiot, thought I had a parasite because I had just come back from a trip to Africa! Ha just a fibroid!  It was the size of a grapefruit!  Anyways they can to a ultrasound and shg to make sure whatever is happening in there isn't causing issues!  Good luck sorry I couldnt really give you any info!  GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"