Military Families

Cheap Flights for Military?

My sister is stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood and is trying to come home for christmas. Are there any Airlines that have discounted tickets for military, or any websites? These prices are outrageous!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cheap Flights for Military?

• Sorry, but I don't know of any. Active duty military get free checked bags on most airlines I think. I hope you can find a reasonable ticket!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, unfortunately noone offers cheaper flight for military, but like pp mentioned, make sure to show your ID at the counter to waive checked bag fees.  That alone usually saves us a couple hundred dollars each flight.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You would have to call the airline to ask for a military fare.  Usually it is cheaper but she will have to have her military ID when she checks in. 

I found that Southwest usually has the best last minute deals!

• I haven't had much luck finding any reduced flights for military. It's a bummer. But some airlines waive the bag fee, but some of them only waive it if it's for the active duty member with orders. :/
  • Do you know what airport she is looking to fky out of? I live in Springfield, MO and its about 70 miles-ish from Fort Wood. That's where they fly everyone coming home on R&R that are stationed there. So have her check SGF airport, also we found Branson airport to be cheaper on outgoing flights but SGF to be cheaper on incoming flights. KC and STL are larger airports and don't seem to run very many "deals". Just some ideas. Hope it works out!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Yes, airlines DO offer reduced fares for military. You have to call and ask for them, but they are available. Make sure that you request a military rate and not a government rate- they are two different things.

American Airlines gave us the military rate of 220$ on tickets that were $700 in October. All we had to do was call and ask.

• It's not a military discount, but try Allegiant Air. You may have to drive a bit, but they are pretty cheap.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yes, southwest airlines is the cheapest. You just have to call and ask for it!
  • Many airlines do offer what they call a military discount.  However, those rates are often not cheaper than the regular rate and can be more expensive  at times.  She's better off checking discount sites like Travelocity or Expedia.  If they have any accounts through USAA, you can sometimes get a better rate with them.  She can also try GVR Travel. 

• imageiluvmytxrgr:

Many airlines do offer what they call a military discount.  However, those rates are often not cheaper than the regular rate and can be more expensive  at times.  She's better off checking discount sites like Travelocity or Expedia.  If they have any accounts through USAA, you can sometimes get a better rate with them.  She can also try GVR Travel. 

Pretty much this.  The ones that do offer a military discount, do so off of their full price tickets.  You can almost always find cheaper fees online, as long as it's not last minute.  

• You can try www.militarytogo.com to get discounted fares.  Sometimes they are cheaper than the other discount websites like travelocity, sometimes they are the same or more.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"