D.C. Area Babies

Ob/gyn in Arlington

Has anyone been to Healthcare for Women?  Or delivered at Virginia Hospital Center?  I'd love to hear about your experience!

Re: Ob/gyn in Arlington

• imageschandl:
    Has anyone been to Healthcare for Women?  Or delivered at Virginia Hospital Center?  I'd love to hear about your experience!

Yes to both! I had a really great experience. Do you have specific questions? 

• Yes!  Which doctor did you see at Healthcare for Women?  I have my first appointment there tomorrow and am with Dr. Nicole McClendon.  We're just kind of going blind into this since this will be our first.  How was the staff at the hospital?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageschandl:
    Yes!  Which doctor did you see at Healthcare for Women?  I have my first appointment there tomorrow and am with Dr. Nicole McClendon.  We're just kind of going blind into this since this will be our first.  How was the staff at the hospital?

I can't say enough good things about Dr. McClendon!  She delivered our daughter in July (our first). She was 9 months pregnant at the time (had her baby 5 days after ours), but she was so good to us. She took really good care of me, reassuring, clear, answered questions/concerns. The Healthcare for Women practice has several doctors. You see all of them over the course of your pregnancy. We started with Dr. Paik (also great). I had a good impression of both of them, but especially Dr. McClendon. I didn't get to know all the doctors that well.

The hospital staff were also great. The labor and delivery staff were really wonderful, helpful, patient, etc.

Overall, I think you can't go wrong. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!

• I don't have any experience with your doctor, but I delivered my son at VHC and will be delivering again there in a few months. I had a great delivery at VHC--the L&D nurses were awesome. Every single one of them was kind and compassionate and very personable (and I had a lot because I was in labor for 27 hours). The postpartum nurses were good, too, but none stood out the way that the L&D nurses all did. All the PP rooms are private and pretty comfortable. Our room was really small, but a friend of mine who has delivered there twice lucked out and got huge rooms both times.

• I can't say enough good things about Dr. McClendon. She is awesome. She also delivered my son via c-section. He came early (37 weeks) and she was calming and reassuring the whole time. Happy to hear she had a baby of her own! The whole practice is great.
  • Thank you so much for your responses!  It's great to hear good info on the practice and on VHC.  :)
  • I go to Arlington Women's Center but I delivered at VHC last time and will again this time. I had a gigantic PostPartum room, and it basically had a fold-down bed of some kind for DH (not just a chair!) 

I thought their lactation consultants left a little to be desired, and I had the occasional rough nurse (I got behind on my pain meds more than I would have liked) but overall it was fine. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I delivered DD at VHC and had a great experience. Both the L&D nurse I had as well as my PP nurses were great.  Our PP room was tiny, so I would ask for a bigger room if you remember to do so. 

We liked our PP nurses so much that we actually asked to have the same ones throughout my/our stay and they were able to accomdate us, so I had the same day nurse and the same night nurse the whole time, which, if you like them, I would highly recommend asking for.

I agree with the PP that the lacatation consultants leave a bit to be desired.  My PP nurses were way more helpful than the consultants that I saw.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i ditto the positive words re: dr. mcclendon.  dr. paik delivered my baby & she was great too.

and vhc has a really nice l&d ward.  i also agree with the lacation consultants but, like pp, my post-par nurses were so super helpful in that regard.

the only downside re: healthcare for women in my mind is that you have to pay for parking which can get pricey when you've got appts every week at the end of pregnancy.

• imagehsbbride:

We liked our PP nurses so much that we actually asked to have the same ones throughout my/our stay and they were able to accomdate us, so I had the same day nurse and the same night nurse the whole time, which, if you like them, I would highly recommend asking for.

Wow, I had no idea - I am so doing that next time! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I gave birth at VHC and also had a good experience overall, although it started off poorly.  I was there during a full moon craze and the ward was completely full so there were actually women waiting (while in labor) for a room.  Yep, we were triaged during labor.  I got put in a curtained-off 5x5 foot c-section surgical area to labor for the first hour.  It was a little unsettling and claustrophobic, and my first nurse was really terrible.  Jabbed me multiple times with the hep-lock needle (even trying to force it in during a contraction...WTH?!?), leaving me all bruised up.  She seemed amateurish, really rushed, and not to mention rough.  She didn't bother to take any look at my birth plan or encourage me in my unmedicated labor.  But as soon as a room became available and they moved me into a delivery room things went much better...great nurses who were encouraging and helpful despite being booked up, and I also thought highly of the PP nurses who were also kept very busy at that time.  I was in the old part of the building, I think, because the new section opened the month after I had my son.  I have visited a friend there and it is nice!  The food was even fine to me. 

I too was not impressed by the lactation consultants (although the free support groups they offer for breastfeeding and new moms are fantastic and I highly recommend those!!). 

GL!

• Healthcare for Women has an office in Herndon. I know that isn't a convenient location for some people, but parking is easy and free. 
  • Dr. Fernandez at Healthcare for Women just delivered my son via c section last week. I, along with most of my friends, have been going to Healthcare for Women for years and like all of the doctors. I particulary like working with Dr. McClendon and Dr. Winterling. Dr. Fernandez was great with the c section, and Dr. Winterling and Dr. Paik were great for the infection I got a few days later. VHC is also fantastic. Nurses are great and the facility itself is nice. I would recommend both of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"