Preemies
Options

sooo sick - how do you do it?

I'm sooo sick - the first real cold since DD came home. I really cant stay away from her! I've been sick since saturday and shes showing no signs of any symptoms yet. I'm actually glad to be working full time this week - I'm away from her so I'm not getting my cooties all over her and I get to slump around my office. the last few days have been so hard trying to care for her and feeling like poo.  I'm exhausted. How do you guys deal with being sick around your preemies?  I've been bathing in hand sanitizer, trying to hold her away from my face, no kisses etc. but I'm home for hours alone with her before DH comes home. Last night I did her bath time, book bedtime bottle and had the hardest time not sneezing or coughing on her. I've sprayed the entire house down daily with lysol - other than dipping myself in bleach I'm not sure what else to do.
image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: sooo sick - how do you do it?

• Options
    Do you have anyone else that help you? I know when I'm under the weather I normally ask a family member who is well to come up and stay with us. If that's not going to work, as soon as your hubby gets home, I ask him to take over, so you can rest. Hope you start to feel better soon.

• Options
    Your siggy badge indicates that you're a pumper - are you still giving her BF?  I had a cold awhile ago, and my husband was pretty sick, too.  My son didn't get sick at all, and I really think it's because of the antibodies from the breastmilk.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageSushiNoMore:
    Your siggy badge indicates that you're a pumper - are you still giving her BF?  I had a cold awhile ago, and my husband was pretty sick, too.  My son didn't get sick at all, and I really think it's because of the antibodies from the breastmilk.

This :)

Also, I think at a certain point you have to realize that there is only so much you can do. Viruses are the most contagious at the start and she was likely exposed before you even had severe symptoms. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions, but just know that in many ways, what will be will be in terms of whether she gets sick or not. When I have been sick I have found that the stressing about getting my boys sick is almost worse than the sickness itself.

Feel better soon! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You guys are probably right - Ive been sick since saturday, and I'm already feeling better so shes been exposed to these germs for days. Im no longer pumping but shes still getting Bm from whats left of my stash. So I dont think she has antibody protection from whatever it is that I have. I work full time so shes with the nanny all day - I get home at 5:30, nanny goes home, DH comes at 7 - so were flying solo for that 1 1/2 hours. But lately shes been playing quietly in her play gym or tummy mat and I try to keep my germs off of her - I'm so paranoid about her getting sick. I have to get over it though - she starts DC in the spring which means she will be sick all the time.
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I don't know...I don't think there is a way - and if so I'd like to know, too!
  • Options

PS I hope you feel better :)

meant to include that, too!

• Options

i had a cold shortly after bringing DD home and I washed my hands like crazy and  actually wore a mask everytime I had to pick her up to feed/change her. I felt like an idiot wearing a mask in my house but I figured it was better to keep her from getting sick.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Both my mom, NICU doctors and the Pediatrician that your baby is basically immune from getting sick from your or your husband due to the antibodies LO receives from BM, so it isn't necessary to wash your hands or disinfect your house even more than usual to avoid getting LO sick (but it will help to avoid having others get sick if they visit your house :) ).

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"