Preemies

Another introduction and breastfeeding ?

So honestly I never dreamed my boys would be "THAT" preemie, but Waylon Dalton and Wyatt Dean surprised me by sending me into labor before I even hit 35 weeks, which meant driving 3 hours to the nearest nicu in the worst storm we've had so far this year.  We spent 2.5 weeks waiting for respiratory issues and feeding to be resolved.  I was pumping and doing a little tandem while in the nicu.  Now, I've been home almost a week. 

Right now I breastfeed one and give a bottle to the other.  Still the breastfed one always seems to need to be "topped off" and I'm having to give at least two bottles of formula a day.  We're on somewhat of a schedule.  I go 3 hours during the day and try to stretch to 4 at night.  I'm on fenugreek, and every LC tells me how much milk I have, but it's obviously not enough.  I have a medela lactina that I'm using to pump.  I really would like to have my boys take full feedings at the breast and not have to use formula. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

image image image Waylon & Wyatt born 11/19/11 @ 34 weeks 5 days

Re: Another introduction and breastfeeding ?

• congrats on the boys! I wish I had some advice for you. DD never took to the breast and I EPd. I had low supply issues and had to start supplementing. I hardly had enough to feed one baby let alone two. Good Luck - maybe some of the other multiple moms have some advice.
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Congrats on your boys!! We are almost in the exact same boat (except that I have girls Wink) They were born at 34w5d and we are currently going through the lovely transition to EBFing. I started out just nursing them each once per day seperately until they could take a full feeding. It took awhile but with some patience and extra time they can finally get full at the breast! It does take them a little extra time... 40-50 minutes right now, but I am hoping that gets better the more we practice. Now I have worked up to tandem feeding them 3x per day and then I pump for 15 min after to make sure my supply doesn't go anywhere. We still give them pumped BM in the evening and throughout the night (I am a pro at pumping while feeding a baby now Tongue Tied) I don't want to BF in the night until we are a little more efficient. Just stick with it! It is a roller coaster that I am currently riding with you, but don't give up!

I wrote a post very similar to yours just a couple of days ago and got some great advice if you want to check it out!

Married 8.4.07
    BFP #1 4.15.11 Twin girls born 11/17/11
    BFP #2 10/16/13 m/c at 9w
    BFP #3 4/7/14 EDD 12/13/14

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for getting back to me.  I will try to go find your post. Anything will help!  Just tried to bf one.  He worked for 50 minutes and is still hungry. Sad Now trying to pump, but I'm feeling like a milk cow.  How often can I do this during a day?  I only have my mom here for another few days!
    image image image Waylon & Wyatt born 11/19/11 @ 34 weeks 5 days
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"