New Jersey Babies
Options

first u/s - not until 12 wks?!

Hi all.  I'm 7 weeks today and have already had my first appt.  Second appt is in 2 weeks.  but my ob/gyn doesn't do the first u/s until 12 weeks!  is this normal??  i really want one sooner!

Re: first u/s - not until 12 wks?!

• Options

Yes, I think it normal based on your doctor.  My doctor did a quick ultrasound during my first appointment at 9 weeks in the office.  It was just a roll out machine and she basically just verified that there was a baby in there.  I have heard some doctors don't do any ultrasounds and just send you for the big ultrasounds usually at the hospital at 13 weeks and 20 weeks.  So I would say is absolutely normal.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yup, normal.  I had a m/c before my full pregnancy so I had one done earlier, but if not for that, the first would have been at 12 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first and only u/s with this pregnancy and my last one have been at 20 weeks.   
    R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think its normal for a traditional conception - because you really can't see much before 12 weeks, and they would likely have to do an internal ultrasound to get close enough to see anything at all.

I convieved via IVF, so I had a couple internal ultrasounds before week 12 - and seriously, in the first and second ones, baby looked like a smudged thumbprint, and in the third one, baby looked like an alien skeleton.  It was a little weird and not that much fun.

The week 12 ultrasound was the first external ultrasound I had and the first time baby looked, well, like a baby.  You can see head, feet, hands and it feels more real.  It was wonderful! 

It's worth the wait - so much better when baby looks like a baby!

Good luck!  And drink something cold and sweet before you go in - I was told this tends to make  baby more active, so you can see more, and it worked for me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"