Baby Showers

What's a normal number?

What's the typical size for a shower? I invited around 50 people and around 25 are definitely coming. My mom seems to think this is super small and keeps asking if I'm going to be disappointed by the turn out. First, that's totally not my personality...I'd be happy if 1 person showed up and second I only wanted to invite really close friends and family. Isn't 25 people a lot for a shower?!? I've only been to two or three but it seems like a normal number to me... I'm starting to feel like I'm supposed to have more friends :/ LOL
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
BFP 1 on 10.30.10 spontaneous m/c on 12.28.10 at 12 weeks
BFP 2 It's a girl! Born 1.18.12 at 39w

Re: What's a normal number?

• I think 25 is a great number!  It's enough that there will probably always be something going on (no one will be bored), but small enough that it won't take you forever to open all the gifts!  Really, it's up to the host and what she is comfortable with.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I prefer showers that aren't any bigger than 25 or 30 people.  The gift opening is boring and the fewer gifts to sit through, the better!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Im sorry, I know its a serius question, but all I could think of was "42".

I hope you all get it.... or am I just a total geek?

Wink

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • imageKristine Schilling:

Im sorry, I know its a serius question, but all I could think of was "42".

Wink

Lol I'm lost:(
  • I think it's regional.  Here in the South, showers are generally no more than 15 - 20 people.  But I've seen that up north, huge showers of 75+ people are not unusual.
  • I invited 50 as well. Not sure exactly how many will show up but I think 50 is a common number. I personally don't think there is a right or wrong amount to invite. It all depends on the space, the budget and the type of shower you are having.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had 3 showers and had between 15-30 people at each one.  I wouldn't want a huge one.  I would rather be able to visit with each guest.  I think yours will be fine:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Wink

I get it!!!

• Honestly I'd be surprised if 10 came to mine.
  • I don't get Kristine's "42" - lol

I've been to and hosted  a LOT of showers and I'd say the average number of guests is about 25.  I had 3 showers and they were 50-60 (both mine and DH/s family/friends), 20 (church friends) and 8 (work friends).  I think your number is "normal".

• imagerhubarb123:

I don't get Kristine's "42" - lol

I've been to and hosted  a LOT of showers and I'd say the average number of guests is about 25.  I had 3 showers and they were 50-60 (both mine and DH/s family/friends), 20 (church friends) and 8 (work friends).  I think your number is "normal".

42 is a reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

• We had about 45 at our shower, but it was coed. I've never been to a huge shower, they don't seem to happen much in my area as most showers are at people's houses. I would say 25 is a great number...and people always end up coming at the last minute.
  • I think 50 is too many, and 25 sounds great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My preferred shower # is 10-15.  I'd rather have more showers with less people.  It's so much nicer as a guest and as the MTB to be able to socialize.
    Cricket's Cadence
  • Thanks everyone!! Glad to know this seems to be the nor Haha
  • imagesfinchWed68665:

I invited 50 as well. Not sure exactly how many will show up but I think 50 is a common number. I personally don't think there is a right or wrong amount to invite. It all depends on the space, the budget and the type of shower you are having.

• imagesfinchWed68665:

I invited 50 as well. Not sure exactly how many will show up but I think 50 is a common number. I personally don't think there is a right or wrong amount to invite. It all depends on the space, the budget and the type of shower you are having.

This!

• 15-30 seems to be average.

Obviously there are people with 50+ guests (co-ed showers, large families, people who feel it necessary to invite everyone they've ever met, etc) and there are people with -10 guests (small families, recent re-location, small host budget, etc).

• I also agree that 50 sounds like a good number. That's about how many people we invited. It seems like you can usually only count on about half actaully coming so I think 50 is a good solid number IMO :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I think there are 25 on my guest list and I expect about 10-15 to actually be there.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Sounds normal to me. There are about 45 people invited to my co-ed shower and we are expecting that 25-30 will be able to make it. I am having another small shower at work with about 8-9 co-workers. 15-30 people is the norm for all the showers I've been to.
  • I'll probably have 10-15 at my shower...I like it smaller and more intimate...50 sounds way too big....
  • imageRoxyLynn:
    I think it's regional.  Here in the South, showers are generally no more than 15 - 20 people.  But I've seen that up north, huge showers of 75+ people are not unusual.
    I'm having one of those smaller Southern showers - about 15 people. I'm actually quite happy it's not more than that because:

1) I don't want to have to write a million thank you notes and hope someone kept track of what each person got me

2) I would feel like I have to talk to everyone individually to make sure they all got attention, instead of just chilling on a sofa

3) women are loud! I'm looking forward to a semi-quiet shower

JMO, though

Lachlan
    born March 2012
  • I think it's all relative, 25 is fine!

We invited 57 and 46 are attending this Saturday.

• We are having 2 showers (this weekend actually) and there will be about 50 at each one.  I know that seems exorbitant to some, but I have a rather large immediate family (lots of aunts and cousins my age) and a large circle of female friends that I see on a regular basis.  The shower his mom is throwing is coed, so figure 25 guests and then double for the spouse.  Typically around here, the average is 40 or so.
  • i have 60 on my list. i'm having 2 showers. i expect about 20-25 at each one
    TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
    DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

• Oh sweet heart I only have like 15 people to invite so I mean we'll see how many come. 25 is great!!!

Wink

Thank you for that! Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Personally I think it just depends on how big your family is and how many close friends you have. If you have a small family then naturally your shower will be on the smaller side but if you have a huge family then your shower may be huge. Rather than making it a numbers game just think about if all your family and CLOSE friends were invited. Then you should be safe whether it's big or small :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think I had 15.  I only invited something like 30 to my personal one.  Work had a shower and (by proxy) "invited" 50 people between our two centers.  I had about 30 show up to my work shower (my place of work is divided between two buildings).  

Personally I think anything over 30 is obnoxious and impersonal.  I'd rather have two smaller showers than one bigger one.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"