High-Risk Pregnancy

130/80 blood pressure cause for concern?

I'm morbidly obese, but when not pregnant, my b/p has always been normal.  It dropped earlier in pregnancy, but has crept back up and for several appointments was 120/80.  I did have one scare, where I was reading 130+/85, but I was seriously stressed out at that appt due to high anxiety over the pregnancy and work stress.  I was asked to monitor at home, which I did, with normal results.

My b/p reading was 130/80 at my appt on Friday (which was just for 17p injection).  I was also up by pound over the week before (which was up a pound over two weeks before that - so 2 pounds in 3 weeks, though I lost 25 at the beginning, so I'm nowhere near my start weight yet).  The nurse asked if I was nervous or stressed out and I said no.  Two hours after my appointment she called and said the on-call doctor was happy with my b/p reading and wanted to me recheck it.  Since the office was closing, they asked me to monitor at home and call in if it were over 130/90.  I checked at home yesterday evening and it was 125/80.

Today all three checks have been 125/75. The nurse didn't mention any other concerns, so I'm a little baffled about the concern here.  130/80 is a little elevated, but my file notes high anxiety and 'white-coat syndrome' - I don't mind them being cautious, given my weight and obstetric history.  I know PIH is serious and carried serious potential implications, especially if diagnosed before 20 weeks.  I just didn't think a single reading was worth worry.  I'm on tons of restrictions, so I can't exercise or do much to control weight gain or b/p outside of diet.  I keep reading 140/90 as being the concern point.

Should I be concerned?  My next appt with my regular OB is Thursday, so I suppose we'll discuss then.  

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
My Blog

Re: 130/80 blood pressure cause for concern?

• personally, I wouldn't worry one darn bit about that.

I consistantly run about 140/95 unmedicated, and most docs are hesitant to even put me on meds for that. (the diastolic, lower number, is a bit high for my taste, so I take a little bit of labatelol to help it)

You want to just watch trends. One elevated BP doesn't matter, it's when it goes up and stays up. Your "normal" will change thru pregnancy, you have more blood volume, etc. 2nd tri is imfamous for dropping it down... just keep an eye on it.

Also, know that home BP cuffs are often a bit higher than normal, and if you have bigger arms, you need to be consistent with the size cuff you use. x-lrg adult, I would suspect. Feet should not be crossed, sit up normally, rest 5 mins prior.

Additionally, being "stressed" or nervous really won't jack up your pressure much. You can see that reflect in your pulse, but stress affecting BP is typically a old wive's tale, I promise. (I've been a nurse for years, and been SUPER stressed as a patient and still had low BP's.)

Keep an eye on things, and hopefully this is one less thing you need to worry about. I had BP's 140/95's thru my whole pregnancy with my 1st daughter, and it affected me and her in NO way at all.

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Thanks!  That is more reassuring.  I do have a large cuff at home and they use a large cuff at the doctor's office as well.  I'll continue monitoring at home, just to have a comparison. 

I feel like a terrible failure at this pregnancy thing.  

My Blog

• Loading the player...
  • imageeasjer05:

I feel like a terrible failure at this pregnancy thing.  

now you cut that out ;-)  You do the best job you can, and sometimes things need a little extra help. Being pregnant isn't easy.... you're growing another HUMAN for gosh sakes. Try to stay positive, that baby needs those happy thoughts ;-)

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Just for a reference point, I was hospitalized this week for preeclamcia because my blood pressure was so high.  When I got to the hospital, it was 178/112.  They said that so long as it stays below 140/100 it's nothing to worry about.  I would just relax... the more you worry about it, the higher it will get.  Also, don't beat yourself up about it.  We all do the best we can for our children and sometimes there are things that are just out of our control!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagelrichmond86:
    Just for a reference point, I was hospitalized this week for preeclamcia because my blood pressure was so high.  When I got to the hospital, it was 178/112.  They said that so long as it stays below 140/100 it's nothing to worry about.  I would just relax... the more you worry about it, the higher it will get.  Also, don't beat yourself up about it.  We all do the best we can for our children and sometimes there are things that are just out of our control!

Again, just to reiterate... for ME, 140/100 is still "normal" for ME. If I were to start drifting from that pattern, then they would be concerned.  I just don't want the OP or someone else to get a reading of 140/100 and all of a sudden freak they have Pre-E or something.  It's TRENDS, not one time readings that are dangerous and reason for worry.

And again, "worrying" won't affect your BP in a major way. It just won't.

(not arguing with you, I just don't want erroneous info out there)

• I'd be pissed over them putting "white-coat syndrome" on your stuff. You're not trying to be a doctor, you're concerned!

Umm worrying can effect your BP in a major way because high BP's are high BP's point blank. If you're having anxiety, it's going to have effects on your body, that's a fact. Not someone blowing smoke up your backside.Worrying causes anxiety so it goes hand in hand.

I have anxiety induced hypertension. I see a psychologist which helps bring my anxiety level lower and my BP level lower. 

I would call them if you're concerned, or if they keep brushing you off, I'd switch to a OBGYN who actually cares about it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone!  Today was back down to 120/75, so I'm trying not to worry.  Good wake-up call about remembering to eat better and take time to destress (work is killer), though, regardless.

For the record, my OB was not even in the office Friday.  I was only seeing her nurse for an injection, but they do the entire urine dip/bp/weight/doppler before the injection.  I'm not sure if she consulted my OB or another OB in the practice about my b/p reading, and I'm also not convinced they wrote it down correctly (at least once before, they've screwed up writing my info down so that it looked like I'd gained 8 pounds in three weeks, when I'd actually lost 2.

My OB is great and proactive about taking care of potential problems.  I knows she's focused on b/p because of my weight and because of my obstetric history.  I also see a peri for concurrent care (mostly related to my cerclage, but he'll be consulted for anything out of the ordinary).  LOVE my OB and peri - the OB's nurse?  Meh.  She's not my fave.

I will continue to monitor/log my b/p at home and take it with me for my next appt, and discuss with OB in person what they are concerned about specifically - the fact I've complained of headaches may have them on higher alert.  But to be fair, they seem to be connected to the weather and to the 17p injection rather than anything else.

My Blog

• I fired my first OBGYN because her nurse was bad mouthing me to my OBGYN and being unprofessional. So you're nicer than I am, but just stick to your guns!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMotherMonster:

I'd be pissed over them putting "white-coat syndrome" on your stuff. You're not trying to be a doctor, you're concerned!

White-coat syndrome just means being in the doctor's office causes anxiety that makes your blood pressure rise. I'm not sure why making a note of that would piss you off; it has nothing to do with "trying to be a doctor."

Like PP said, they look for trends, and a break from the norm. My BP was always on the high side, but my OB wasn't concerned until it regularly topped 140/90 and, if charted, showed a line heading upward. I also had no protein in my urine, no problems with my labwork... I strictly had PIH rather than pre-e so I was put on bedrest near the end (no blood pressure meds) and we delivered when I made it to 39 weeks.

• I wish my blood pressure was that low.  One thing you can suggest that might make you and your doctor feel better is a 24 hour blood pressure monitor. 

My doctor says we want my bp below 140 over 90 most of the time, but they don't really get worried until it goes up to 150/100 and then they add more meds.  

How far along are you?  From what I have read I understand there are three types of blood pressure issues in pregnancy.  Chronic, where it is diagnosed before 20 weeks (I am in this camp) and this can be the best situation cause they put you on meds if it goes get high and hope to keep it controlled.  Then there is gestational hypertension, where it goes up after 20 weeks.  Again they put you on meds but this is a little more cause for concern.  Then there is preeclampsia where it tends to shoot up at the end and they make baby come early and so forth.

Course preeclampsia on top of one of the others is biggest concern for management I guess.

There are two meds usually used in pregnancy and I was on just one med until the other day-- and I'm 30 weeks.  Then they added one.  So if it does go up you do have options.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"