C-sections

Is the eye gel for baby needed when you have a c/s??

Anyone else going to decline the eye gel they put in your newborn's eyes? 

I just came across an article about the eye gel that they give your newborn. It is to protect the baby's eyes if the mom has an STD of some type of infection that can be picked up from the vagina.

I am having a c-section and have no STD's - so I think I am going to decline the eye gel. Going to speak to my dr. about this at tomorrow's appt. Today is the first time I have heard of this, so just wondering what others think of this.

BabyName Ticker

Re: Is the eye gel for baby needed when you have a c/s??

• I had two c/s (and I have no STD's for the record). They put the vitamin K gel on both my DD's eyes. All my siblings kids and basically everyone I know had the eye gel on their newborn. I have never heard of not having it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hmmm...I am stumped.  I read an article that said her baby had a reaction to it and it gave the baby black eyes, which is why I am trying to get more info.  I thought the Vitamin K shot and this eye gel were 2 different things.   I am going to ask my dr. tomorrow.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yup they put the Vit K on his eyes.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagefoobrown@hotmail.com:
    Hmmm...I am stumped.  I read an article that said her baby had a reaction to it and it gave the baby black eyes, which is why I am trying to get more info.  I thought the Vitamin K shot and this eye gel were 2 different things.   I am going to ask my dr. tomorrow.

Every baby is different. Mine did not have a reaction to the gel. You are right it's not Vitamin K. Here's what I found https://childbirth.amuchbetterway.com/newborn-baby-eye-drops-explained/

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagewyldirishrose12:
    I had two c/s (and I have no STD's for the record). They put the vitamin K gel on both my DD's eyes. All my siblings kids and basically everyone I know had the eye gel on their newborn. I have never heard of not having it.

The eye gel is an antibiotic. The Vitamin K is given in a shot to help with blood clotting. 

You can decline either for any reason if you so choose. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• When I had my c/s, they put the gel in DS's eyes even though I had requested they don't.  There is no need.  They did not put it in DD's eyes when I had my VBAC.  It was a calmer scene, so they did a better job following my wishes;-)  Talk to your doctor but there is no reason for the eye gel if you have been tested and cleared.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Vitamin K is a shot or an oral drink. Babies aren't born with much vitamin K, and vitamin K helps our blood clot. The eye ointment is a prophylactic that can prevent an infection from bacteria in STDs. Apparently there is still some risk if you have a c-section and you have an STD, so they still do it. You can refuse the eye ointment, but it's usually harmless. It just blurs the baby's vision for awhile.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • sorry for the confusion on me thinking the gel was vitamin K....
  • It is not a gel, it is an antibiotic.  It is mandatory by the state.  It is not just for those with STD's.  Please do some more research on it...you are very mis informed.  It is not something that people just decided, lets put this stuff in babies eyes.  It's used for a reason, to prevent an infection.  So, obviously it is serious.  What if you refuse it and your baby gets an infection and goes blind?  All because you didn't want a bit of gel in their eyes. Some people will delay having it put in right at birth, but it gets put in every babies eyes. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is called Erythromycin ointment. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrsseguin:
    It is not a gel, it is an antibiotic.  It is mandatory by the state.  It is not just for those with STD's.  Please do some more research on it...you are very mis informed.  It is not something that people just decided, lets put this stuff in babies eyes.  It's used for a reason, to prevent an infection.  So, obviously it is serious.  What if you refuse it and your baby gets an infection and goes blind?  All because you didn't want a bit of gel in their eyes. Some people will delay having it put in right at birth, but it gets put in every babies eyes. 
    Please tell me what infection and why babies will get this dreadful infection? I need you to inform me. My DD had the gel because no one bothered to ask me, but considering how pumped full of antibiotics we both were, it wasn't necessary. Insert eye roll if Chrome would let me. ETA: Just for informational purposes see this link from the FDA. https://www.drugs.com/pro/erythromycin-ophthalmic-ointment.html For prophylaxis of ophthalmia neonatorum due to N. gonorrhoeae or C. trachomatis. Both of which are STDs which I certainly did not have. HTH.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• DD got the eye stuff and got the vitamin k shot.  In NY (where I live) the Vitamin K shot and eye drops are mandatory- no choice here.

Effective Date: 07/19/2000
    Title: Section 12.3 - Precautions to be observed for the prevention of hemorrhagic diseases and coagulation disorders of the newborn and infants related to vitamin K deficiency
    12.3 Precautions to be observed for the prevention of hemorrhagic diseases and coagulation disorders of the newborn and infants related to vitamin K deficiency. It shall be the duty of the attending physician, licensed midwife, registered professional nurse or other licensed medical professional attending the newborn to assure administration of a single parenteral dose of 0.5-1.0 mg. of natural vitamin K(1) oxide (phytonadione) within one hour of birth.

Effective Date: 07/19/2000
    Title: Section 12.2 - Precautions to be observed for the prevention of purulent conjunctivitis of the newborn

12.2 Precautions to be observed for the prevention of purulent conjunctivitis of the newborn. It shall be the duty of the attending physician, licensed midwife, licensed nurse or other authorized provider in attendance at a delivery to place into the eyes of the infant, on delivery, an agent effective for preventing purulent conjunctivitis of the newborn, such as tetracycline or erythromycin eye preparation or a one percent solution of nitrate of silver. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemocknine:

DD got the eye stuff and got the vitamin k shot.  In NY (where I live) the Vitamin K shot and eye drops are mandatory- no choice here.

Ditto this.  It varies by state, but in NY anyway it's basically impossible to decline (ignore my avatar, I live here too).  You can ask to defer it but it needs to be done within the first hour.  Neither of my children have had an adverse reaction to it.  I also don't feel the need for it personally, but from a public health perspective I can see why it's mandated, and I have not found any persuasive evidence of risks associated with it.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • The Vit K and eye ointment are two seperate things.  The Vit K is a shot that is given to stimulate the infant's clotting factors to start, they are not born with the ability for their blood to clot correctly.  The eye ointment is to protect their eyes from infection that is not only in the vagina but in the uterus and may be in bag of waters. It is standard for all babies.  You can refuse this, but the risk is so minor and the benefits way outweigh the risks.

• imagewyldirishrose12:
    I had two c/s (and I have no STD's for the record). They put the vitamin K gel on both my DD's eyes. All my siblings kids and basically everyone I know had the eye gel on their newborn. I have never heard of not having it.

This exactly for me.   but its an antibiotic not vitamin K

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"