Attachment Parenting
Options

Help with weaning while bedsharing

My LO is 21 months old and she sleeps in bed with us. I want to start trying to wean her since she still nurse to sleep and 3 or 4 times during the night she wakes up to nurse, sometimes more often. She also nurses for a long time in the early morning and to fall asleep for her nap. Other than that she will nurse one time during the day. Any ideas on how I can start weaning her or at least eliminate the feeding times in the middle of the night while still bedsharing or is this impossible and I should get her  trying to sleep on her own mattress first? Ideally I would like to keep her sleeping in our bed a while longer even if I wean her.

Re: Help with weaning while bedsharing

• Options
    I started weaning DS when he was about 18 months.  What I did was give him milk mixed with pediasure or Kefir, it's a drinkable yogurt.  We call them milkshakes.  So it was pretty easy cutting out the day feedings.  I was really worried about the night feedings because we also bedshare and he comfort nursed through the night.  I just started telling him that my boobs were broken and there was no more milk.  He was old enough to understand what that meant.  The first night he cried a little, but went back to sleep.  The second night, he was really crazy, cried a lot.  Then the third night he cried once and then he never asked for it again.  I had planned on nursing him in the morning and before bed, but I guess in his mind, if they were broken, they were broken all the time!  Hopefully this will work for you LO!  GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

I nightweaned at 12 months and for us it was so incredibly easy--and we still bedshare.

My LO would nurse all.night.long.  I decided to quit cold turkey and let DH comfort her.  The first time she woke up she cried for about a minute.  The next time maybe 30 seconds and the next time only a few seconds.  DH gave her the paci and cuddled up and that's all she needed to go back to sleep.  We did this for two weeks and then I started cuddling at night with her.  She still wakes up a million times a night but doesn't want to nurse.

Good luck and I hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did me!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

For us DS still nurses at night he slept through the night for the first time 2 nights ago.  He woke twice last night to nurse and it did not last for more than a minute each time.  The way I slowly cut down on his nursing at night is by telling him when I count to three you have to be all done.  (I would follow that with telling him I am going to rub his back.)  So I would let him nurse on both sides for a couple of minutes then tell him when I count to three we are all done.  He would then unlatch and I would rub his back for a minute.  We are at the point now that he doesn't need his back rubbed.  This lasted a few months.  I was not in a rush to night wean him.

Sorry if this response seems jumbled.  DS is on my lap.. 

April 2009
  • Options

I would recommend using this book to help-

Nursies When the Sun Shines by Katherine Havener

Here is link to amazon 

https://www.amazon.com/Nursies-When-Shines-Katherine-Havener/dp/0615343570/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1LOGMBEAZIXCS&colid=20LVAT2YLSTQ

hope that helps! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"