South Carolina Babies

Upstate moms?

Hullo! I live in the Clemson area, and this is my first pregnancy.  That being said... I need help! I am the first of my friends and the only of my coworkers to be expecting or have a baby, recently at least, in this area!  I was just wondering if anyone around had any advice as to where to go, what to do, and generally any advice to a new mom in the area.  I've grown up around here, but at 21... I'm pretty lost right now.  I'm about 3 months along, and seeing Dr. Parker out of AN MED OB GYN.  Family is helping, but with everyone so scattered, my "support group" is limited.  Just wondering if there was anyone around who could give me some pointers as to doctors (my second appt is on Tuesday, I haven't gotten a good grasp on my OB yet, but he was recommended to me, and I never had a regular OB before), places to get deals, or anything else you can think of.

Thanks =]

Re: Upstate moms?

• Hi there, I also live in the upstate area. A good way to get deals is going to consignment sales. There are lots in greenville, one in anderson, and one or two in clemson/seneca. They are named different things but you can google upstatekids and switcharoos. I can't think of the others but just google them. I honestly wouldn't buy a lot of baby clothes. Friends/family always buy and you will have lots. Go to lucieslist.com and she has a list of needed/uneeded baby items. It's a good starting list.

I don't have any experience with that obgyn. I have heard good things about delivering at the women's and children's hospital in anderson. I go to upstateobgyn in clemson. I love Dr. Rhodes but they only use St. Francis eastside and that is a good drive from clemson.

My other advice to you is take a good prenatal class to get prepared for childbirth and caring for a baby. Look on anmed's website, they offer several. You don't want to go into the hospital not understanding what is happening to you. Get educated, so you can be your own advocate. I'm a nurse and I see everyday people have to advocate for themselves in health care.

Good luck to you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey there,

I live in Anderson... congrats on your pregnancy! I know it's kinda overwhelming -- my husband & I tried to get pregnant for years, & we're STILL feeling a little overwhelmed! I just wanted to recommend my obgyn if you're still not sure about yours... I've been going to Dr Henry Hearn for years, & he's seriously wonderful. Like, I can't tell you how much I truly love him. He's honest & funny & listens to everything you say & even gives his personal cell number if you're freaking out about something. He's through Anmed too, which is where I'll be delivering in just a few weeks. 

Anmed in general has been a good experience for us. They have childbirth classes that you can register for through their website that were really helpful. I think the entry fee was $65 for you & whoever's going to be in the delivery room with you... but really, you won't have to worry about that until your 3rd trimester.

Good luck with everything! Please feel free to email me directly if you want... my email is sarahrettew@gmail.com.

Sarah

• Loading the player...
  • You might be interested in doing a birth planning consult with Upstate BirthNetwork.  They are a non-profit covering Pickens, Greenville, Anderson, Oconee, Spartanburg.  The volunteers are birth professionals or consumer advocates and they do free one-on-ones. 

I'm a chapter leader and I know there are a few volunteers in Clemson who might be able to meet you in town.

The Clemson Babywearing group and La Leche League are also welcoming places to get lots of info and personal stories. 

Best!

Julie

• I live in the Anderson area and Dr. Shelley delivered my baby in November. She did great and kept me calm, especially considering we had a few complications. I think she goes to an office in Clemson 1 to 2 days a week.
    I agree with the consignment stores. Anything to save money helps! I'd also stock up on coupons. Look on craigslist too there's a lot of things that come in bulk for pretty cheap.
    I had just turned 22 when I had Micah so I know how you feel! I do have friends that have babies though, they're just older than me.
    Good luck with everything you'll figure it all out!

• I live in Westminster and just had my baby boy back in July. I go to the Upstate Babywearers and La Leche League meetings Julie mentioned in her post. They're great and I've made some amazing friends. I had no mommy friends and wanted friends for my little guy. Babywearers meets the first thursday of every month (so this thursday) at 10:30am and LLL meets the 2nd tuesday at 10am. Both at the Central/Clemson library. As for deals, keep an eye out for Upstate Kids, I just got bunches of winter clothes for my LO. If you need anything and would like to talk directly, my email is jenn91285@hotmail.com. I love meeting new moms around here, gives me something to do lol. Hope to maybe see you soon :)
  • i live in Seneca, SC. I'm with Dr Hearn with OBGYN Associates of Anderson. He delivered both of my boys and will be delievering my 3rd child in March. I highly recommend Dr Hearn && he even has an office in Clemson. What I LOVE bout Dr Hearn is that even if he's not on call the day you go into labor, he comes in to deliever you. Which was the case with my 2nd son. If you need someone to talk to please feel free to email me.

Nichole

• imagenwood1127:

i live in Seneca, SC. I'm with Dr Hearn with OBGYN Associates of Anderson. He delivered both of my boys and will be delievering my 3rd child in March. I highly recommend Dr Hearn && he even has an office in Clemson. What I LOVE bout Dr Hearn is that even if he's not on call the day you go into labor, he comes in to deliever you. Which was the case with my 2nd son. If you need someone to talk to please feel free to email me.

Nichole

You're in Seneca? How awesome to find someone on here so close to me :D

• I'm in Easley, but I use a practice in Greenville (Piedmont OB/Gyn) and will deliver at GHS with this baby as I did with my son.

I highly recommend the upstate kids and switcheroos consignment sales- they are amazing!

• I just gave birth to my first child on Thanksgiving Day. Dr. Hearn was also my doctor and he was absolutely wonderful! I live in Pendleton and am so excited to see other new and to-be moms on here so close to me. Although my family is nearby I still find myself wishing I knew other women nearby who are going through the same as me. This is stressful!! LOL My husband keeps telling me to find "Mom Groups" around here but I haven't had much luck. The La Leche League meetings would be great but it will be February before I could get to one. Any suggestions would be appreciated :) !

Aimee

MeMe
  • hey there :) i live in belton & dr parker delivered my 2nd son & dr jennings at that practice delivered my first. they are amazing & do a wonderful job. i use craigslist & go to  the jockey lot in anderson for stuff i need.  i am preg with my 3rd child due june 24th using dr.williams i williamston just bc he's closer.good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"