Military Families

For those of you in or married into the Army

MH heard that on some Army bases you can get free base housing... Meaning you get a house on base and you still get your full BAH. Is this true?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: For those of you in or married into the Army

• The way it was explained to us was it's one or the other. You either get the base house OR you get your BAH for being off base.
  • From what I know, if you live in the privatized housing on post, then you are paid BAH but you use that BAH to pay your rent to the private company.

If you are living in free housing and are getting BAH, I'd be careful that the Army doesn't stick you with a bill when your H would go to clear finance when you leave that post, because that doesn't sound right at all...

Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok. That's how it is for us, we live on base, but don't get BAH. But this is what he was told for the Army so I wanted to ask.
  • No, it's one or the other.  BAH is to pay for off base housing.  That's it's purpose.
    Married August 23, 2008!

My little angel RIP August 12, 2010 - September 5, 2010

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would be shocked if this were true. Seldom does anyone get a free lunch. Either the service member receives housing or BAH. I have heard that some privatized companies offer a rebate or lower rent, but never free.

Where did you hear or read this?
  • PP are correct. I wanted to add info on privatized housing.  It's the same as housing...its paid and automatically deducted. 
  • I use to work at Macdill AFB and a couple of the military guys told me that if you are stationed on a base that is not traditionally up to your branches standards of living then that branch will pay you to live there. For example someone I worked with did a tour in Korea for two years and was at a Army base. He was airforce and the airforce gave him additional money ontop of his BAH bc that base did not have the same housing standards as a airforce base.
  • imagejulesdac65:
    MH heard that on some Army bases you can get free base housing... Meaning you get a house on base and you still get your full BAH. Is this true?

The only time this would happen is if you have a dual mil couple.  They take the BAH of the higher ranking person.  The other keeps most or all of theirs depending on the base and the housing. 

• The only thing remotely close to this that I have heard is some people paying half of their BAH.  At the base I am at now there are some families living in really crappy, run down houses. 

A few years ago housing had trouble getting people to take those houses, so they recruited them by only making them pay half the rent, but they still got full BAH. They stopped doing this, but those people that moved in at that time still only pay half.  I think it kind of stinks for those families who are newer to the base paying full BAH knowing their neighbors only pay half

• On the LES it will pay you the full BAH, but the full BAH will be deducted for the housing.  So, in a way it's both.  You do get BAH but they take it right back in the same paycheck. 

• imageDani0602:

From what I know, if you live in the privatized housing on post, then you are paid BAH but you use that BAH to pay your rent to the private company.

If you are living in free housing and are getting BAH, I'd be careful that the Army doesn't stick you with a bill when your H would go to clear finance when you leave that post, because that doesn't sound right at all...

This.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"