Houston Babies

Anyone else struggle with feeling like its "real"?

Got our very early, (but definitely there) BFP this weekend!!!!!! :) (Due August 16th!!) :) So, I'm not quite even 4 weeks yet and I'm just wondering if anyone else struggled with the idea of the pregnancy being real and being afraid something is going to happen before we even get started? I have my first appt and US scheduled for the end of Dec. (will be 7 weeks then) and just so afraid to be excited before that comes and we see the heartbeat. 

Anyone else experience this?

P.S. If you happen to know me from somewhere IRL, pleeeease don't say anything, we don't plan on spreading the word until mid Jan.

Thanks!! :)

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone else struggle with feeling like its "real"?

• First of all, congrats!

And yes, I know exactly how you feel. We were actively TTC when I got pregnant but due to my history I had been told to expect issues getting pregnant. When it happened so fast (4 months) I was shocked and convinced it was either a mistake or something bad would happen.

We had a rocky start, low progesterone levels treated with supplements, and some extra monitoring. Then some abnormal blood work at 14 weeks that lead us to an Amnio. But thank the Lord everything has been fine, baby girl seems to be growing right on schedule and all the amnio results came back good.

Just take a deep breath and try not to worry (though I know that sounds impossible). I think it starts to become a bit more real when you get to see baby on the ultrasound and for me....when we saw the heartbeat.

aka- DavidsBride2Be
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Totally normal to feel that way, I did with both kids.  I relaxed a bit once we saw heartbeats, a bit more when I felt them move and more when I knew they were viable.  Each week it got easier and I got more excited. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats!!

And yes, I still struggle with feeling like this is all really happening and DD is 8 months old.

I read once that you begin worrying the minute you get your BFP. First you worry about miscarriage, not seeing a heartbeat, checking for blood EVERY time you go to the bathroom, worrying about every twinge and cramp. Then you start to worry about birth defects, genetic problems, etc as you move into the second tri and start doing testing and anatomy scans, then you move into third tri and you worry about the cord being wrapped around their neck, something going wrong during labor and delivery, an undiagnosed issue that they can't see on ultrasounds, etc. THEN the baby is born and you worry about a whole host of new things! We're mothers - we are in a constant state of worry for the rest of our lives! ;) BUT it did start to feel more real for me with each step - each ultrasound, finding out the sex, registering, getting the nursery started, feeling kicks, etc. 

Oh, also - as someone who was REALLY, REALLY worried about m/c - my mom (who had multiple m/c's) reminded me that there isn't really anything you can do to save a pg that isn't viable, and there isn't really much you can do to shake a pregnancy that is.... in other words, it really is out of your hands.Take it one day at a time - today you are pregnant and you love your baby, enjoy it! :) 

My sister in law told me to enjoy my little one's heart beating so close to mine - you'll never be this close again. The thought still brings tears to my eyes. Such a wonderful way to think about pregnancy. :)

Congrats and enjoy! 

DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • Congrats!

Yes, it's a weird feeling.  I felt a very cautious excitement until we hit 13 weeks and then I was just all-out excited.  Seeing the heartbeat then hearing it later helps make it real, but the REAL realness starts when you start showing & feeling the baby. :-)

The best thing you can do for your little 4 week old sweetie pie is to try your best to relax and enjoy.  :-)

• I don't think I really felt like it was "real" until I could feel the baby kick, etc. - and that wasn't until around 20 weeks!  I remember looking at the early ultrasounds thinking - there is a thing inside me moving around THAT much, and I can't feel it??  What else do I have in my body that I don't know about?!  lol.

The further you get into your pregnancy, the more comfortable you will become.  After seeing the HB, then after the 12 week mark, then after your Anatomy Scan, etc.  But you will always probably have a worry in the back of your head until the day you deliver, so just know that probably won't go away.

Congrats and GL!

• imageCareBear01:

I don't think I really felt like it was "real" until I could feel the baby kick, etc. - and that wasn't until around 20 weeks!  I remember looking at the early ultrasounds thinking - there is a thing inside me moving around THAT much, and I can't feel it??  What else do I have in my body that I don't know about?!  lol.

The further you get into your pregnancy, the more comfortable you will become.  After seeing the HB, then after the 12 week mark, then after your Anatomy Scan, etc.  But you will always probably have a worry in the back of your head until the day you deliver, so just know that probably won't go away.

Congrats and GL!

That made me LOL!!!! :) 

DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"