Preemies

how long will they keep me on mag UPDATE - off mag, starting procardia - personal experiences please

So i just posted a few hours ago about how long do you think they'll keep me on the magnesium weeellll, my doctor came in and took me completly off. Shes starting me on the procardia every 6 hours. She basically said if it doesnt seem to stop it then were gonna have a baby! If not she'll send me home thursday, she said even if i get to go home for 24 hours and get some time with my daughter, she'll be happy with that. So its pretty much the waiting game now and im kind of over whelmed with emotions! its so weird knowing that i could have my baby tonight..

has anyone else had experience with the procardia? I dont know anything about it other than what my doctor had just told me. so im interested to see how it worked for others and what not :)

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: how long will they keep me on mag UPDATE - off mag, starting procardia - personal experiences please

• Thinking of you....The mag made me very loopy. Did not experience procardia, but delivered at 32 weeks and 3 days on Oct. 23rd (He is home and doing great!). Try to stay positive and take it minute by minute. You are in the best place for you and your little one!
  • I was on procardia with DS.  It is a blood pressure medication and is usually used for people with heart related issues.  It can make your blood pressure low and at times made me feel dizzy.  I took it twice per day but I don't remember much more than that.

It helped with my contractions (I have a bad combo of irritable uterus and a cervix that likes to shorten,..  so one of the ways they avoided my cervix issues was to give me P17 and procardia to avoid the contractions completely).  My son was born full term.  I don't think it was entirely procardia - it was just one piece of a big puzzle.

Overall, I didn't have any side effects really from procardia.  Good luck!  I hope you can keep your baby cooking as long as possible!

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Loading the player...
  • Hugs!

I was on procardia for a couple of weeks.  It makes you feel a bit off, it's not horrible and certainly not as bad as mag.  It did help me.  When it wasn't working, I had to take more and around the clock.

• thank you! sounds a lot like me - short cervix and uterus that likes to contract! the nurse already mentioned to me that maybe for the next baby the procardia will be an option to start early on so that put my mind at ease a bit because of course that was a concern. but thats awesome you carried full term!! they're sending me home thursday if all goes well..

• thank you and your right, if i were to deliver tonight..i feel good about it. because i know all that COULD be done IS done at this point and if its meant to happen it will happen. staying positive! glad to hear your baby is doing so well!! :):) how long was his stay??
  • Honestly?  I was never on Mag, but I HATE Procardia.  It made my heart race and feel like it was going to beat out of my chest.  I would get dizzy and nauseated.  It never made my contractions stop.  I wasn't progressing at all, just had contractions every 3-5 minutes prior to Procardia, and Owen had a regular heartbeat.  With Procardia, my contractions only went to 5-7 minutes apart, and in addition to all my heart side effects, Owen started having late decels, and his heartrate dropped into the 70s when I stood up (which made me have stronger contractions.)  That led to my cesarean. 

I see above that a lot of people had no side effects, and I know other people it worked great for, but personally, if I have PTL again, unless I'm progressing, I'm not even going to consider meds.  (I'm a bit bitter, sorry.)  Good luck.  I hope you can keep LO in for a while longer!  

TTC #1 June 2010
    1/3/11 S/A - Count 45; Motility 32; Morph 4.3 - 2/10/11 - S/A Count 17mil; Motility 39; Morph 7.9
    1/5/11 Femara Cycle #1 = BFN  2/4/11 Femara Cycle #2 = BFP: 3/4/11 - Starting Progesterone suppositories 
    Beta#1 15DPO = 108; Beta#2 17DPO = 179; Beta#3 18DPO = 259; Beta 4# 20DPO =659!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    TTC#2 Pulled goalie 5/12, PPAF 3/13, BFP 6/27 Beta 15DPO=248! 
    Dx Severe Hydrocephalus and severe Dandy Walker Cyst.   Stillborn 10/19/13
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    TTC#3 - (No preventing, TTC+progesterone starting 12/13)
    4/7/14 CD3 BW - FSH 5.6; AMH 0.469 - 4/11/14 S/A Count 35, Motility 47, Morph 1.5
    4/16/14 - Cycle 6 - Natural IUI - Beta 12DPIUI = 3; Beta 13DPIUI=4.  15DPIUI=6. 17DPIU=4. Chemical Pregnancy  
    TTC #4
    5/5/14 Dx MTHFR homozygous A1298C, Benched 1 cycle HSG 5/14 both tubes open w/scarring on the left   
    5/28/14 Starting clomid 6/8/14 IUI #2 1 dominant follicle 31mm Beta 11DPIUI =4, 15DPIUI = 74, 17DPIUI = 165 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMrsLaurenandDan:

Honestly?  I was never on Mag, but I HATE Procardia.  It made my heart race and feel like it was going to beat out of my chest.  I would get dizzy and nauseated.  It never made my contractions stop.  I wasn't progressing at all, just had contractions every 3-5 minutes prior to Procardia, and Owen had a regular heartbeat.  With Procardia, my contractions only went to 5-7 minutes apart, and in addition to all my heart side effects, Owen started having late decels, and his heartrate dropped into the 70s when I stood up (which made me have stronger contractions.)  That led to my cesarean. 

I see above that a lot of people had no side effects, and I know other people it worked great for, but personally, if I have PTL again, unless I'm progressing, I'm not even going to consider meds.  (I'm a bit bitter, sorry.)  Good luck.  I hope you can keep LO in for a while longer!  

clarification:  I had side effects, it was a bit icky, but I just meant relatively, as in comparison to mag, it was no big deal at all :-)

• imageMrsLaurenandDan:

Honestly?  I was never on Mag, but I HATE Procardia.  It made my heart race and feel like it was going to beat out of my chest.  I would get dizzy and nauseated.  It never made my contractions stop.  I wasn't progressing at all, just had contractions every 3-5 minutes prior to Procardia, and Owen had a regular heartbeat.  With Procardia, my contractions only went to 5-7 minutes apart, and in addition to all my heart side effects, Owen started having late decels, and his heartrate dropped into the 70s when I stood up (which made me have stronger contractions.)  That led to my cesarean. 

My heart rate also went through the roof. It was 55 when I checked in and 130 a few minutes after the procardia. They hadn't told me to expect anything, so I was kind of freaking out.

I had no side effects whatsoever from the mag, on the other hand, and was on that for 3 days prior to my c/s for HELLP.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• thanks everyone for sharing, its good to know...so far so good, i havent had any bad side effects..yet. They're sending me home tomorrow as long as everything stays the same.

• I just wanted to say "Yay!" for being off mag.  I am sure this drug is no picnic either, but mag is the craziest nastiest drug I've ever been on.  I will be 100% fine if I never have to see another mag drip for the rest of my life!
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I actually just replied in your other post, but I wanted to say that other than a few blood pressure issues, I didn't have any issues with Procardia. I was taken off it (and the oral terbutaline I was on) at 36w0d and delivered that night.
    After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"