January 2012 Moms
Options

Home birth, by yourself?

A friend told me that someone she knows is planning a home birth, completely by herself- no midwife or anything, just her and DH. Apparently there's a kit you can order! This is the woman's third child, but this still sounded insane to me and I'm not against home births with midwives.

I was curious if any of you had heard of this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Home birth, by yourself?

• Options
    A home birth with a midwife is one thing (what I wanted, but couldn't get DH on board with), an unassisted birth is just dumb, IMO. It's not just about having the proper tools, it's about having the knowledge and experience to deal with complications that may arise. It might not be a big deal or all that dangerous when you have a doctor or midwife there, but with parents who don't know what to look for or all the little signs of distress, it can turn into something way more dangerous. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Just asking for trouble IMO.

I would love to do a homebirth, specifically a water birth, but there's no way I would attempt it unattended. Yes I realize that women have babies all the time and most of the time everything is just fine but I can't imagine how I would feel if something went wrong that could have been fixed or prevented. Midwives are trained to recognize signs of distress and handle emergencies, why wouldn't you want someone there just incase?! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh hell no, I would not even consider that in a million years. That is just cray cray. 
  • Options
    I find that completely irresponsible as a parent.  If you have a healthy, low risk pregnancy and want to have a home birth with a midwife, great.  That is just way too risky IMO.  It makes me wonder if they are just trying to save money and if they even had any prenatal care at all.

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• Options
    While I'm a firm believer in having the birth experience you want, whatever that may be, I cannot condone free-birthing by choice. Like others have said, there's too much at stake, too many things that could go wrong that they are not trained for nor probably prepared for. 
    the LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalms 34:18
    My Blog || BFP Chart
    11/27/10-BFP, EDD 8/9/11 || 1/4-7/10- missed m/c 9wks
    4/25/11- BFP , EDD 1/5/12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    just wow... even the cave men had midwives/witch doctors/herbalists or something... as well as being surrounded by other mothers. I hope the paramedics have a quick response time and a hospital nearby.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Options

imageSascha3:
    I find that completely irresponsible as a parent.  If you have a healthy, low risk pregnancy and want to have a home birth with a midwife, great.  That is just way too risky IMO.  It makes me wonder if they are just trying to save money and if they even had any prenatal care at all.
    Pretty much this.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• Options

There was a show on Discover Health about this sometime last year, and they brought up this incident:

https://www.momlogic.com/2009/04/home_birth_advocates_baby_dies.php

I would never forgive myself.

Here's an excellent follow up article: https://crunchydomesticgoddess.com/2009/04/30/home-birth-advocate-janet-frasers-baby-dies-during-free-birth/ 

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Is she trying to avoid a repeat c-section?  I know there are some states where VBAC is nearly impossible to pull off due to malpractice issues and state regulations.  And a few of those are also states where certified nurse midwives are not permitted to attend homebirths, otherwise they would lose their licenses.  So if you live in one of those (draconian) states and want to avoid what you believe is an unnecessary surgery, you might think that unassisted homebirth is your only option. 

However, if I lived in one of those states I would find a midwife across state lines and arrange to meet her at a hotel to deliver. 

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That is so horribly selfish and irresponsible. The health and safety of your baby comes first and to willingly give birth without assistance puts that in serious jeopardy. What an idiot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Too risky for me to even think about. I actually get freaked out for her, just thinking about her doing it! Yeah, it's her third kid, but things can still go wrong. ::fingers crossed they don't::
    DD 1.18.2012
  • Options
    I am quite familiar with the idea and know a few families who have done this. It is called an unassisted birth or UC(unassisted childbirth). The women who choose to do this are more informed and prepared than anyone I know going into a home birth with a midwife, they aren't doing it just cause. I am having a midwife attended home birth and am in no way against UCs, they just aren't for me. I like to have someone to ultimately keep an eye on things and reassure me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am totally for homebirth and birth centers (I'm having my son at a birth center with my midwife, maybe the next one will be a homebirth!) But I just can't imagine unassisted birth being safe. The only situation where I could see it being not totally unreasonable is if you were a midwife yourself. But I think even this is unsafe because diagnosing a problem with yourself could be a problem all on its own.
  • Options

Personally I think this sounds insane but whatever works for them I guess. I just know that I would never forgive myself if something happened and I would always question if things would have turned out differently had there been a medical professional there.

Not to mention that I would have to pick my poor dh off the floor because there is no way he'd be able to handle that, lol.

"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"