January 2012 Moms

lungs developed?

I can't remember what week baby's lungs are supposed to be mature. I know they consider 36 weeks full term. Which week do they consider baby's lungs safe?
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: lungs developed?

• Full term is actually 37 weeks. 36 weeks is considered late pre-term, but yes, a lot of babies born at that time have no problems (along with some born even earlier). I'm not exactly sure about the lung question, though.

ETA: here is info from the March of Dimes regarding prematurity/full term: https://www.marchofdimes.com/baby/premature_indepth.html

Despite what some people's doctors are telling them, full term is 37 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My Dr. has told me full term is 36 weeks, and 34-35 the lungs are developed.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • It all depends on the baby, but by 37 weeks most babies lungs are completely developed.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor said they are developed at 34 weeks.
  • Thanks everyone. I also said full term was 36 weeks because thats what my doc told me last pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't schedule my c-section prior to 39 weeks without an amnio to make sure the lungs are mature.  I think that is pretty standard at hospitals now so it makes me think that there are many babies between 37-39 weeks without mature lungs.
  • I just found out that I may have to be induced at 37  weeks. My doctor is so worried about delivering that early that I have to have an amniocentesis ahead of time to make sure that LO's lungs are developed enough. She also warned me that LO might have issues with blood sugar and breast feeding because of the "early delivery". My husband's coworker also had to be induced at 37 weeks and her doctor also required an amnio to check for lung development. 

I have to think that if 37 weeks is really "full term", the doctors wouldn't require testing for lung development and warn about possible complications. 

Obviously some babies born as early as 35 can have fully developed lungs and do just fine, however, it seems like lung development is specific to each baby and there isn't a guarantee that baby's lungs are going to be fully developed before 39 or 40 weeks.  

• My doctor also told me 36 weeks is considered full term and that the lungs are fully developed at that time.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"