Health & Exercise
Options

Any Spinners???

Hello Ladies,

Congrats to all of you! I love to spin and I teach 3 classes a week. I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks ago (I am 6 weeks now). I had a miscarriage about 10 months ago and think the spinning could have contributed to it. I have seen mixed things online about the safety of spinning during pregnancy and I'm torn what to do. My doctor wouldn't tell me one way or the other on what to do either. I know your body temperature and heart rate are important.  

Do you think it is safe to still spin? I'd probably take it easier than I normally do. I've only been walking since I found out and really miss my exercise.

Thanks for your advice/insight! 

Re: Any Spinners???

• Options

I was a spinner for 2 years before getting pregnant, so it was already part of my normal routine.  I continued to spin up until a few days before I delivered.  It was actually the 1 exercise I was really able to do throughout the whole pregnancy.  Of course, by the end the resistance was practically nothing and I wasn't really doing any of the jumps or fast intervals.  My doctor is in the camp that exercise is good and you should continue to do what you normally do, but just listen to your body. 

• Options

I think it's safe if you've already been doing it for awhile and my doc thinks so too.  I just got back from a pretty intense spin class.  I feel great.  I spin 2x's a week (3 if I can) and I work out 2 days with a trainer and I do one day of walking and/or hiking.  

I had a m/c too but had nothing to do with exercising.  I would bet you're fine.  GL with this pregnancy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I spin. One of my instructors did spin all the way to her due dates with both of her kids. My OB says it is fine, that the heart rate "rule" is incredible outdated (he told me not to even bother wearing a HR monitor, just listen to my body), and says he strongly encourages me to continue exercising (I run, spin, wights, etc). My stamina isn't what it was, but that is to be expected.
  • Options
    I've spun through all of my pregnancies.  For #2 I went to spin the morning my water broke.  Just adjust the resistance and intensity to your comfort.  If you want to teach but are worried that you are pushing it too hard.  Hop off the bike do a few intervals then hop back on.  GL!  
    IAmPregnant Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image Visit The Nest!
    ***Work it Mama***
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageimage
  • Options

I'm still spinning once a week and have been throughout my pregnancy so far. I intend to continue with spin as long as I'm still comfortable. 

I had been spinning regularly for 3 years before pregnancy, and I also do yoga, swim and walk most days a week.  I have been doing some resistance training but I get frustrated that I can't do it at the intensity I'm used to so I have scaled back.

• Options
    I have been doing it all along, I am 34 w now. (I don't spin, but I ride a road bike on a stationary trainer, essentially the same thing.) My doctor is fine with it.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• Options
    My first pregnancy I was spinning and I had a MC.  I felt sure that contributed to it.  Then I had 2 more MCs and realized it def wasn't the spinning.  I think you can keep doing what you're doing.  Just listen to your body, as you normally would.
  • Options

I'm 17 weeks now and I have still been spinning 1-2x per week. Its the only cardio, for me, that seems comfortable. I have scaled back on resistance and rpms. I've just been listening to my body. My instructor said she was teaching classes up until a few days before she delivered. My dr. didn't have a problem with my exercise routine either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"