Attachment Parenting

Books about weaning for LO

I'd like DD to wean before our new baby is born, and she seems really receptive to messages she learns from books- no biting, sharing is nice, etc.  So, I'd like to get her some books about weaning to help her with this transition.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Books about weaning for LO

• I've heard people mention the book, "Maggies' Weaning" but I don't know anything about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks!  I'll look into that one!
  • Loading the player...
  • i've also heard people mention the book "Mama's Milk" and although it isn't about weaning, it apparently shows animals all nursing to show how normal it is.  maybe something you could use to change the words/adapt to explain how they nurse until they are strong enough/big enough to become big kids and eat big kid food? 

that might be kind of a stretch... but it's the only book i've heard about focused on nursing for kids, so wanted to share just in case!  

for us, we REALLY started pointing out nursing babies in public (or at friends' hosues).  DD was 2.5 yrs so we could really discuss how those babies couldn't eat food like we could, and the milk was so very important for them.  but now she was a big kid and wouldn't need mama's milk anymore... etc etc.

• imageWiggleBaby:

i've also heard people mention the book "Mama's Milk" and although it isn't about weaning, it apparently shows animals all nursing to show how normal it is.  maybe something you could use to change the words/adapt to explain how they nurse until they are strong enough/big enough to become big kids and eat big kid food? 

that might be kind of a stretch... but it's the only book i've heard about focused on nursing for kids, so wanted to share just in case!  

for us, we REALLY started pointing out nursing babies in public (or at friends' hosues).  DD was 2.5 yrs so we could really discuss how those babies couldn't eat food like we could, and the milk was so very important for them.  but now she was a big kid and wouldn't need mama's milk anymore... etc etc.

Thanks for the great ideas.  We've started talking about how, as DD calls them, "tiny babies" like to nurse.  I told her once that she was getting to be such a big girl that she wouldn't need her "milkies" soon, and she looked at me like I was crazy!  We'll have to keep coming back to it to get her used to the idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"