Postpartum Depression
Options

pros and cons of different meds?

I just wrote this long post, and hit some button and poof, gone.

Here is some back story

What are some of your personal pros and cons to different meds.  The doc was ready to Rx something but I didn't like a major side effect of it.

I actually left the docs in actual tears.

Re: pros and cons of different meds?

• Options

the 3 meds I have experienced: Abilify, Zoloft, Prozac

biggest con of all three, what happens if you cut off meds cold turkey. such as major depression, severe anxiety, suicidal thoughts.

Abilify was a cold turkey cut off when I discovered I was ooops pregnant. it SUCKED.

Zoloft I weaned off of once I realized I was PG. However, the LO I carry has a cleft lip and Palate. Which does not run in the family, so Dr's and Lawyers are assuming Zoloft caused it.

Prozac con: made me tired all the time. (took it years ago, dont remember what else.

The Pro's:

Abilify: steadied me out, made the world livable. Stopped the insane circles of thought.

Zoloft: made the crying fits go away. Let me see the world without the black clouds.

Prozac: the world was much less "heavy" know what I mean? steadied the mood swings.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Options

I read your linked first post and wanted to reach out and hug you. I know EXACTLY what you were saying. EXACTLY. I could have written the words myself. I never knew how to properly describe to someone else what I was feeling. I wanted them to know that I knew I would never carry out any of these acts, but in my head these thoughts haunted me. I felt such guilt thinking about dropping my baby down the stairs. I didn't want to think about it. I didn't want to do it, but no matter what I did, the thoughts were in my head. I also started avoiding activities.  I wouldn't carry the baby on the steps and we had to move the coffee table out of the room because of these irrational fears and visions. At any rate, I just wanted to tell you you are not alone. I have been there and it does get better. 

As for meds, I ended up with a combination of Lexapro and Ativan and sometimes took Ambien when my anxiety kept me from sleeping. I had a very low sex drive and did gain a little weight on Lexepro. I also had some issues weaning off of it. Just a couple weeks of feeling flu-ish. I would take them again in a heartbeat though. In a very short time of starting meds everything turned around for me. It was like night and day. The side effects were so minor in comparison to how quickly I started to feel better. I really wish you the best of luck!

PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"