Preemies
Options

Stopping bottle

Hi ladies,

DS and I have been working on nursing and tonight he really did well.  He nursed on and off for over 30 mins and I kept hearing/feeling gulps, so I know he was getting milk.  I skipped giving him his bottle and he hasn't woken up acting hungry (he is due to eat again in about 10 mins).  I am so nervous about just letting him nurse, but then I don't want to force a bottle on him either.

I have to take him in for his Hep B vaccine tomorrow, so I will talk to the nurse about it.  But, I was interested to see if any of you had any thoughts as to whether I risk depriving him, or if he will let me know if he is hungry.

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Stopping bottle

• Options
    I'd go off of his cues.  He'll let you know if he's hungry. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

We transitioned from bottles to direct breastfeeding, too, and, at some point, I was just like, "F* it. I'm done with bottles."  It was super-scary, but it worked great!  My son was able to nurse exclusively until I went back to work.

Great job getting this far!  I imagine he'll let you know when he's hungry.   

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSushiNoMore:

We transitioned from bottles to direct breastfeeding, too, and, at some point, I was just like, "F* it. I'm done with bottles."  It was super-scary, but it worked great!  My son was able to nurse exclusively until I went back to work.

Great job getting this far!  I imagine he'll let you know when he's hungry.   

The same thing happened with us. If you are concerned, set up an appointment with a lactation consultant or visit a breastfeeding support group where they offer pre and post feed weights.  

Good job! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I say go for it... do you have a place where you can easily stop in for weight checks like your pedi's office without an appt or a lactation store? I've loved being able to do that so when I change something (go off nipple shield, drop to 1 bottle, then no bottles, etc) I can go check his weight in 3-4 days to see how we are doing. Between weight checks I follow his wet/dirty diapers to make sure we're not getting behind. So far, so good for us, so I say go for it! Being able to nurse exclusively was an awesome milestone for us!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"