Blended Families
Options

Hold me back

This afternoon my 3 year old daughter told me that at some point over the Thanksgiving break, my 15 year old stepson made her put her hands down his pants.  I am really wanting to go to his mothers house and strangle him right now.  And of course I can't get in touch with my husband until he gets off work tonight.  I just needed to vent to someone right now.  I'm pi$$ed.

Re: Hold me back

• Options
    Oh my god.  I hope it isn't true, but I think you need to get her to talk to someone who has experience in these types of situations in asking the right questions without leading.  I'm so sorry this is happening.
  • Options
    Ok, assuming this is real then I cannot imagine for the life of me why you did not bring her right to a doctor (I know there would be no proof but there would be documentation), to a child crisis center and/or to the police.  Report it, that is sexual abuse and not something to blow off or to wait for your DH, the offenders father to come home and deal with.  It is criminal!  And DO NOT be the person that puts her marriage and DH first, put your DD first and deal with the consequences after as only you can protect her, I do not care that your DH is her father (I am assuming he is her father.)
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageFriskyPanda:
    Oh my god.  I hope it isn't true, but I think you need to get her to talk to someone who has experience in these types of situations in asking the right questions without leading.  I'm so sorry this is happening.

Yes, and DO NOT ask her more questions, you will think you are helping but could make it worse b/c assuming he did it and you go to the police they can think she was lead to answer a certain way.  And if she sees your disapproval then she can change her story b/c she does not want Mommy mad.  Go to Parenting board and PM or post for Nire and ask her if she has advice, unfortunately she has a not of experience.

ETA:  If you do not do something to verify if it is true and protect her if it is then there is a high likelyhood that he would do it again or more to her or someone else, these things do not go away on their own and cannot be simply avoided b/c just by saying something like, "he will never be alone with her again."

• Options

I think you need to head to the ER and file a police report while you're there.  They should have someone there who will be equipped to ask her the right questions.

I wouldn't wait for your husband.  He should understand.  Take care of your child.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options
    I know it's true.  There's no way she could make something like this up.  She adores her brother, he adores her.  I did ask her, about an hour later, whether anyone ever touched her butt besides me and she said no so that makes me feel a hair better.  She won't talk if I take her somewhere.  She is super super shy and won't even talk to people she has been seeing for months.  I want to talk to my husband before I decide what we are going to do.  And I will not choose my husband over my daughter.  If he decides to sweep it under the rug (which I am 100% sure he won't do), there will be no husband.  I do feel like something more than "he's not welcome in this house" needs to happen as he works at a summer camp and helps out at a daycare.  Tomorrow I will be making calls to see where this has to go.  It's really frustrating because he's a good kid but there is a back story too that I won't go into and I know it can't just go away. 
  • Options

This board is here for support.  I want nothing more than to hear you and your daughter get the help you need.  You got some great responses and great advice.

I cannot imagine sitting at a time like this, however.  You have a local police station.  Even though it is after hours, there should be someone to talk to. 

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
  • Options

imagenire99:
    YGPM

Nire I thought of you immediately.

Report this today, end of.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageneedtovent2:
    I know it's true.  There's no way she could make something like this up.  She adores her brother, he adores her.  I did ask her, about an hour later, whether anyone ever touched her butt besides me and she said no so that makes me feel a hair better.  She won't talk if I take her somewhere.  She is super super shy and won't even talk to people she has been seeing for months.  I want to talk to my husband before I decide what we are going to do.  And I will not choose my husband over my daughter.  If he decides to sweep it under the rug (which I am 100% sure he won't do), there will be no husband.  I do feel like something more than "he's not welcome in this house" needs to happen as he works at a summer camp and helps out at a daycare.  Tomorrow I will be making calls to see where this has to go.  It's really frustrating because he's a good kid but there is a back story too that I won't go into and I know it can't just go away. 
    No, you absolutely need to take her somewhere. Questioning kids is a whole different ballgame from questioning adults. You NEED to take her somewhere where they are trained to do it properly. Here, CPS has an advocacy center with a kids play room and people trained to question kids. You seriously need to take her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Just to echo pp, you need to take her somewhere. Maybe she won't talk, but I feel like you need to have this documented. And they will also help you figure out what to do--how to best talk to your daughter, how to deal with your SS, and that kind of thing. 

I'm so sorry you're going through this. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

imageLittlejen22:
    Ok, assuming this is real then I cannot imagine for the life of me why you did not bring her right to a doctor (I know there would be no proof but there would be documentation), to a child crisis center and/or to the police.  Report it, that is sexual abuse and not something to blow off or to wait for your DH, the offenders father to come home and deal with.  It is criminal!  And DO NOT be the person that puts her marriage and DH first, put your DD first and deal with the consequences after as only you can protect her, I do not care that your DH is her father (I am assuming he is her father.)

THIS. The only person I would worry about is my child!

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Options
    I worked as a sexual assault victim advocate in college.  Please let me know if you want to talk.  Sad  My heart is breaking for you.
    Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options

I know people mean well and I'm sorry but I dont recall OP saying her DH put the childs hands down HIS pants. This man is not a villan and deserves the respect of a phone call/visit from his wife to inform him of what is going on and to decide as a COUPLE what steps to take next. This man may be just as furious as his wife and drop everything to get imediate help for HIS child.

Now, if he drags his butt, then you take over and proceed with the next step ASAP. But what a slap in the face that would be to a father to find out this happened, and his wife took it upon herself to act without informing him about what is going on with his child? If my husband did this to me and I'm sitting at work in the dark, I would be livid, hurt, betrayed etc....and could put my marriage on the line. Now how does that help the child?

I will say, that this info should not wait "til he gets home tonight". I would either be in the car on my way to my DH's office or on the phone telling him to get his butt home so we can proceed to the next step!

• Options
    I am really hoping for an update on this.  I just read it this morning and I am praying for your family and you for strength.  Nire will give you good advise, I hope you take it with open arms.  GL and please update us when you can. T&P
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageSaran:

I know people mean well and I'm sorry but I dont recall OP saying her DH put the childs hands down HIS pants. This man is not a villan and deserves the respect of a phone call/visit from his wife to inform him of what is going on and to decide as a COUPLE what steps to take next. This man may be just as furious as his wife and drop everything to get imediate help for HIS child.

Yes I agree with this. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagekali55:
    imageSaran:

Yes I agree with this. 

I think a man who is mad at his wife for getting help for their child is seriously screwed up in his priorities.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    imageJ&A2008:
    imagekali55:
    imageSaran:

Yes I agree with this. 

I think a man who is mad at his wife for getting help for their child is seriously screwed up in his priorities.

Ummmmm, I think you read that wrong. It says he is AS mad AS his wife. Not mad AT his wife.

• Options
    imageSaran:

If my husband did this to me and I'm sitting at work in the dark, I would be livid, hurt, betrayed etc....and could put my marriage on the line. Now how does that help the child?

I guess angry husband/angry wife.  Same thing.  If OP's H would be mad at her for going for help without him, I think the priorities are misplaced.

• Options
    imageJ&A2008:
    imageSaran:

If my husband did this to me and I'm sitting at work in the dark, I would be livid, hurt, betrayed etc....and could put my marriage on the line. Now how does that help the child?

I guess angry husband/angry wife.  Same thing.  If OP's H would be mad at her for going for help without him, I think the priorities are misplaced.

I respectfully disagree. If it is MY child as well and we are in it together then we decide together how to go forward. It didnt say she was in physical danger where you have to react right then and there like being attacked in front of your eyes. It takes 2 SECONDS to pick up a phone to the childs FATHER and say, who do we call and what do we do. Lets be real, if it was you, you'd be pissssssst that a 2 second call was not made to you.

• Options

imagewendilea:
    OP said she needed to wait until that evening to speak to the father.  For whatever reason she could not call him at work.  If it were my child, this constitutes an emergency, and somehow a phone call would have been made or I would have taken the child to the ER without notifying dad.

Exactly.  If I had been the spouse at work, I'd be pissed if I got home and my H hadn't done anything. 

• Options
    imageSaran:

Now, if he drags his butt, then you take over and proceed with the next step ASAP. But what a slap in the face that would be to a father to find out this happened, and his wife took it upon herself to act without informing him about what is going on with his child? If my husband did this to me and I'm sitting at work in the dark, I would be livid, hurt, betrayed etc....and could put my marriage on the line. Now how does that help the child?

I will say, that this info should not wait "til he gets home tonight". I would either be in the car on my way to my DH's office or on the phone telling him to get his butt home so we can proceed to the next step!

I somewhat agree with you and will say that yesterday she probably should have called her DH if possible and told him what happened and where she is going and requested that he meet her there.  What needs to be discussed as far as what to do next?  It is either take her somewhere to get it documented or not to, to me that is not a choice.  I totally agree that if this was my child and my DH did not call me I would be irate but if he was not able to reach me I would expect that he would take her without me, especially if there is a risk of an adult continuing to talk to the child.  Unfortunately my concern with this and therefore my initial response was a worry of the father thinking his child would never do it or him being scared of the trouble that could come down on his other child, I am not saying that makes him a victim if he responded that way or even that he would respond that way (obviously I do not know him) but that it is a concern.

• Options

Where in the OP did it say she couldnt reach her husband. And where did I say if you cant reach DH to do nothing???? She said she would wait til DH got home and I said, either call him ASAP to let him know what is going on or get in the car and go to him. Unless he is on a secret mission for the military, he IS reachable. THEN take the next step. No where did anybody say, do nothing.

Clearly, if the man can't be reached----DO SOMETHING! The point was to give that man the respect of a phone call and or visit to his job, then proceed. And those of you who found out your husband took matters into his own hands and you were just a phone call away or minutes from your house, you'd be livid. I'd hog tie DH's balls if he did that to me cause nothing at work is more important than your child and I'd be out that door in 2 seconds flat. Period.

• Options
    imageSaran:

Where in the OP did it say she couldnt reach her husband. And where did I say if you cant reach DH to do nothing???? She said she would wait til DH got home and I said, either call him ASAP to let him know what is going on or get in the car and go to him. Unless he is on a secret mission for the military, he IS reachable. THEN take the next step. No where did anybody say, do nothing.

Clearly, if the man can't be reached----DO SOMETHING! The point was to give that man the respect of a phone call and or visit to his job, then proceed. And those of you who found out your husband took matters into his own hands and you were just a phone call away or minutes from your house, you'd be livid. I'd hog tie DH's balls if he did that to me cause nothing at work is more important than your child and I'd be out that door in 2 seconds flat. Period.

Again, agreed.  I think we are arguing semantics.  I think the husband should be informed, if possible, immediately.  I know my DH would drop everything, and either come and get us or meet us where we were going. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    did she ever update?? Ive been thinking about this today. I hope everything is ok
  • Options
    I was looking for an update to. What a horrible situation to be in!

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"